Take both guns? Turkey + Deer

ZCoastie

FNG
Do you go out with both guns at times? Or pick one and that's what you're doing for that day?

This is my second year hunting, so that'll be my excuse for the inexperience with this question. I have a CZ1012 shotgun and an older 300 Winmag my Grandpa gave me. Here in Western Oregon, Fall Turkey and Deer season overlap by a few weeks. I want to go out specifically for Turkey hunting a couple of days, but deer will be the main focus. Turkey season does go a lot longer, so I do have more options for that, but I want to go earlier on as well.

I did sign up for the new Hunt By Reservation for turkey, so if I draw one of those locations, that'll be turkey only so that makes the question easy. But more for public land and forestry company land where I can hunt both.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I wish it was legal to take a turkey with my muzzleloader, shooting roundballs
while deer hunting.
We have a fall turkey season but it's not in during muzzy season. Even if it was,
the muzzy/roundball wouldnt be legal to shoot a turkey.
Hunting should not be so complicated.

Many states have or until recently, had shotgun only deer seasons.

As an individual that's in a state as 'used to only be shotgun', and seeing many turkey during our deer seasons (among many furbearing animals), id just do the shotgun and enjoy the time out.

Though, it'd be interesting to hit a turkey with a slug, and a deer with turkey load. So keep that in mind.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Our fall turkey is during deer archery season. So if a big gobbler walks out, he's getting an arrow sent his way.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, fall is THE time to take a Turkey.
I never could get over the fact that I'd be missing out on a gobblin strutter in the spring. Some folks do love the fall hunt though, no doubt.

541hunter

WKR
I’m in western Oregon myself. I would focus on one or the other. I also rarely see turkey in my deer spots. You could keep a shotgun in the truck and if you see a turkey on a way to a deer spot then switch it up. I would put all my energy into deer though.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I never could get over the fact that I'd be missing out on a gobblin strutter in the spring. Some folks do love the fall hunt though, no doubt.
I just really love to go hunting in the fall: deer, turkey, pigs, yotes, bobcat, etc....
just hunting.