Tactacam battery options

Which batteries do you use?

• Total voters
Looking at battery options for the cameras this year. I've always done alkaline but I recently bought 2 of the lithium packs and a pack of 24 lithium AAs to compare.

I'd like to use the solar panels but worried about getting em stolen plus old bucks are already pretty skittish of these cameras as they are now.... definitely would stick out more.

Definitely seen mixed reviews on the battery packs both the legit branded ones and the cheapo knock offs. What's everyone's experiences with em?

On a side note, I was using rayovac alkaline from Walmart and looking at the price in store it was like $18 for 36... looking at Walmart online they sell 60 packs for $23. So I went ahead and got some of those too.

We have gone to solar on all of our trail cams. Based on your comments about them getting stolen, I assume you are on public. Most of the manufacturers make long cords so that you can put the panels higher up in the tree. It may be a pain to mount them, but it will keep the thieves and bears from tearing them up.

If you still want to do batteries, we found you don't get the % increase in life with the % increase in cost for the lithium batteries. If you have them, set up an account at Batteries Plus and buy them by the case. You get a decent discount with the account.

I havent used lithiums in cell cams, but this is what Ive seen with alkalines in 2 Reveal Gen 2.0s.....

Theyve been up for about 7 weeks. 1 of them takes pictures every time a bird flies by regardless of how I adjust the motion sensitivity. Yesterday it sent 44 pictures. It has used 32% of a 32gb sd card. The battery level on that one shows 60%. I have them set to send pics to the app once a day. But that one has been fairly consistent in sending the daily dump of pictures.

The other, works when it decides it wants to work. It hasnt sent a daily dump 10 days, but it is sending the daily check in pictures. That one is showing 90% battery remaining.

Both of them have been set to pic+video for about 4 weeks. It only sends pics through cell, the videos sit on the card until you pull them.

Each of them take 12 AAs. Thats about 35 bucks per camera for Lithium, 70 for both. AA duracells cost about $20 for both. Im good with the alkalines just based on that.

Last edited:

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I use Energizer Max Akaline batteries in my tacatcams. Battery's last from spring through sometime in the winter. That's about 5-10 pictures each day on the cameras. Usually my 32GB cards fill up before the batteries die.

Reactions: Tnc
I don’t buy Tacatams. But I have used nimh rechargeables in all my Brownings and Spypoints for about 5 years. And Lithiums (mainly) in my Reconyxs.

j_volt

WKR
I have about a dozen Tactacam Reveals (gen 1, XBs, and X 2.0s). My main approach is Amazon branded AA alkaline batteries with a solar panel.

For me, my battery approach depends a lot on the camera's location. For example, I have 2 cameras at a farm that is a couple hours from me. I have no desire to hunt it until November. If those batteries die, the cameras are worthless. I have both of those on solar panels. Also, I have a camera close to home that is on a mineral site. It gets 100+ photos a day. I have to have a solar panel on that or it will die too fast.

I have another camera on a historic scrape site in the middle of some nasty bedding. It has a lithium battery back in it because there is no sun in there, but I also know I won't get many pics for another month or so. I do not want to go back in there until that scrape gets opened up.

Keep in mind that battery % is not a great indicator of battery life. There is no great way for that camera to know the battery life of the AA batteries.

Are people stealing cell cams very often? They are useless when stolen, and many have GPS on them now.

I have been tempted by the knock off Lithium battery packs. Tactacam says to not use them, but Tactacam also sells a very similar looking product for 5x the cost...

Decker9

WKR
Iv had great luck with stealthcam external battery's (if they’re compatible?). My problem is the mountain goats keep chewing off the cords lol. With the external and lithiums, I get a whole year of run time, even through cold winter.

cktraider

FNG
Just get a cheap plastic ammo can for $5 at Walmart and buy the external battery cord on amazon $10. Throw in an old 12v from your feeder and call it a day. Will last all season. I don't have any trees so solar panel isn't an option where we are.

Bugger

FNG
Lithiums are running great after two years in one camera, added solar to it last year and it says the batteries are still at 90%. Put lithiums in a new camera last year and they’re still showing 100%. They’re more expensive but I don’t have close access to my cams so it’s cheaper to cough up better batteries than spend half a days gas and hiking time to swap out dead ones.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Run Ultimate Lithium for longest life. The Tactacam battery pack or EBL lithiums will get you about two thirds of the Ultimate Lithium run time. The Tactacam solar battery should easily get you through the season if set up in a sunny area. Once the leaves are off the trees the solar battery should still get you through the season using EBL lithiums as your backup in the camera.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I've got 3 X Pro's (I think?) and I bought the Tactacam branded lithium pack for all 3. I like the one time cost and being able to just recharge. They'll last several months on a charge so it just made sense for me. I haven't had any issues with them yet but I've only had them about a year

Cgray97

FNG
I went external this year on a few cams and it has been the best decision I’ve made. Keeps you out of the woods and from worrying about how long your batteries are going to last. If you’re able and not having to pack in super far this is the way to go.

hunt1up

WKR
I try to shy away from Amazon but they're bulk AA batteries are a deal. I've been running those for about 2 seasons now. I typically put a set in the cameras in August/September and another later in the season and I'm good for the whole fall.

They're like $.15 a battery. Under $2 per camera, per set.