Tacoma Fuel mileage

Wow, i’m glad my F150 gets 21-22 on average. I thought the Tacomas did better on gas than what you guys are saying here.
It's kind of funny, I'm a Toyota guy and have been since I was a kid. I've had a pile of them through the years and am looking at getting a new one here pretty soon. I stopped by the stealership on Saturday and drove a decked out TRD shortbed. I liked the truck but want a 6 foot bed, so I wasn't interested in the truck at all. Just out of curiosity I stopped at the Ford shop across the street. I drove a F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I'm torn now on what to get!

It's kind of funny, I'm a Toyota guy and have been since I was a kid. I've had a pile of them through the years and am looking at getting a new one here pretty soon. I stopped by the stealership on Saturday and drove a decked out TRD shortbed. I liked the truck but want a 6 foot bed, so I wasn't interested in the truck at all. Just out of curiosity I stopped at the Ford shop across the street. I drove a F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I'm torn now on what to get!
Easy decision, really.
Do you do truck stuff or just want to look the part?

CorbLand

WKR
Wow, i’m glad my F150 gets 21-22 on average. I thought the Tacomas did better on gas than what you guys are saying here.
It does kind of depend on how people drive and what they have done to them. Slap 10 ply, all terrain, 33s on it and your gas mileage decreases pretty quick but yes, they are garbage on gas. My brother has an F150 that gets about 15 average but he has big tires on it.

Tacoma's and Tundra's will run forever as long as there is a gas station in sight.

I never considered a Ford until my FIL sold me his for cheap a few years ago. This truck should last another 10 years so who knows what I'll get next, but I have zero complaints about this one.

21.7mpg combined, Nano ecoboost, crew cab short box with a canopy.

I never considered a Ford until my FIL sold me his for cheap a few years ago. This truck should last another 10 years so who knows what I'll get next, but I have zero complaints about this one.

21.7mpg combined, Nano ecoboost, crew cab short box with a canopy.
The room that the full crew cab has is crazy. I was definitely impressed with the one I test drove. I've never been a Ford guy, but after having a fleet of late model GM's at work , I'm a never Chevy GMC guy right now.

The room that the full crew cab has is crazy. I was definitely impressed with the one I test drove. I've never been a Ford guy, but after having a fleet of late model GM's at work , I'm a never Chevy GMC guy right now.
I sold my 18 pro for my 23 F150 with the 2.7 eco. 4K on the odometer, leveled on 33s with a tonneau cover and I’m averaging a smidge over 26 mpg hand calculated. Love the size, power, and fuel economy compared to the taco.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the 18-20 mpg group. Its ridiculous they can't get better mileage out of a V6. Back in the 90's, early 2000's the old 3800 V6 that GM put in many of there bigger sedans (Park Avenue, Olds 88/98, LeSabre, Century, Regal...etc) - those things would cruise at 75-80 mph and get close to 30 mpg all day long, they had some pep, and they were bomb proof. I'm sure with 4 wheel drive, and truck gearing those numbers wouldn't be quite as good, but you would think 20-25 years later they could come up with something that could get close to those numbers and not be a dog. Instead they resort to turbo 4 cylinder and hybrids.
I wish they would have a small diesel option for the Tacomas - Cummins BT4, or R2.8 ??

Last edited:
It does kind of depend on how people drive and what they have done to them. Slap 10 ply, all terrain, 33s on it and your gas mileage decreases pretty quick but yes, they are garbage on gas. My brother has an F150 that gets about 15 average but he has big tires on it.

Tacoma's and Tundra's will run forever as long as there is a gas station in sight.
So will an F150 👍

But this is a gas mileage thread so i’ll leave it at that. I was simply surprised my full size, 6000lb, crew cab F150 gets better gas mileage than a Tacoma. Even driving it hard, off road, fully loaded with gear in the bed and 5 guys in it etc it only drops to like 19-20ish. Your brother must drive his like he stole it if hes getting 15!

CorbLand

WKR
So will an F150 👍

But this is a gas mileage thread so i’ll leave it at that. I was simply surprised my full size, 6000lb, crew cab F150 gets better gas mileage than a Tacoma. Even driving it hard, off road, fully loaded with gear in the bed and 5 guys in it etc it only drops to like 19-20ish. Your brother must drive his like he stole it if hes getting 15!
Just has big tires on it. He drives like he is a grandpa.

Not sure what year it is but it may not be an ecoboost. I dont know much about it just that he was home a couple weekends ago and I asked him how he did on gas over (300 mile trip from SW Idaho to SE Idaho) he said he averaged high 14s. He said that he lost about 2 miles per gallon when he put the new tires on it.

Last edited:

IdahoBeav

WKR
About 20 mpg if it's 75% freeway miles. If it's all city, it'll do about 17-18, and this is a 2.7 4 cyl.

Also worth noting, the Ford mpg meters are notoriously inaccurate. They read about 2-3 mpg higher than hand calcs, i.e. the actual mpg.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Also worth noting, the Ford mpg meters are notoriously inaccurate. They read about 2-3 mpg higher than hand calcs, i.e. the actual mpg.

My F350 is the opposite. It "reads" 0.5-1.0 mpg under what I actually get when I calculate it.

To answer the OP, 2010 TRD Off Road with stock size tires gets 16-18 mpg. It's about what every Toyota I've owned/driven gets. It's a short bed I found a good deal on for our son's first truck, but the six foot bed is about the only reason I would personally buy another Tacoma.

Just drove my wife's 2019 Ranger to Spokane and back this weekend. I got 20.5 mpg average for the entire trip. That was cruise control set at 75 mph on the freeway, and driving around town in Spokane. This truck has noticeably more power, more torque, and a better ride compared to the Toyota.

Last edited:
My F350 is the opposite. It "reads" 0.5-1.0 mpg under what I actually get when I calculate it.

To answer the OP, 2010 TRD Off Road with stock size tires gets 16-18 mpg. It's about what every Toyota I've owned/driven gets.

Just drove my wife's 2019 Ranger to Spokane and back this weekend. I got 20.5 mpg average for the entire trip. That was cruise control set at 75 mph on the freeway, and driving around town in Spokane. This truck has noticeably more power, more torque, and a better ride compared to the Toyota.
I took my '12 down to El Paso last spring and the sweet spot for fuel mileage (on mine anyway) was 65 mph. Anything over that and it fell flat on its face. At 75mph, it dropped down to 16. The bed was bone empty .

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
2021 TRD Driving 60mph I get 21-22 consistently

Driving 70+mph I get 14-16 consistently

Macintosh

WKR
My crystal ball says there is a good likelihood your new tacoma will average 18-20mpg.

(a place like fuelly.com will cut through the BS and give you real-world averages for any vehicle, and also allow you to scroll through and see what individual vehicles are averaging with various mods, etc. This says that out of 637 vehicles with 3.5l v6 engines, 350 of them, or 55%, get between 18-20mpg)

1687803631361.png

For what it's worth, my 2018/19 v8 silverado gets slightly worse fuel economy on average than my wifes 2020 tacoma TRD sport, but on a long distance drive my silverado and her tacoma are +/- identical fuel economy. I also get better fuel economy towing my boat with the silverado than I do towing with the tacoma. The smaller truck makes more sense in a lot of situations and is probably a little more capable out-of-the-box at real 4x4 stuff and probably a more convenient city/suburban daily-driver that can do double-duty as a truck, but for what I consider "truck stuff" (towing, hauling, etc) I'm not sure I would go back to a smaller vehicle like a taco without a fight. My wife has a lead foot, and averages right around high 17's/low 18's MPG, that's mostly rural, rolling terrain at low elevation and includes mostly winter-mix fuel since she has another car she mostly drives in the summer.

Last edited:

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I get about 15-17 mpg city, 18 to 22 mpg highway. Driving under 60 mph on the highway gets the best milage. Above that mpg drops about one mpg for every 5 mph increase.

Those numbers are with 32 inch tires, a bed cap, and 100 pounds of tools in the bed. It also has an ECU tune and a manual transmission.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Wait for new one….? I’m “hopeful” for maybe 25 with hybrid
salesman at the dealership told me they found a solution to having to fill up so often............................................they are going to put in bigger fuel tanks.