Tacoma Chains

SDHNTR

WKR
Pretty sure they'll fit on the front with a tire that small, there's way more than 3/8 of an inch clearance there. Be careful and test them somewhere first. Jack the tires and spin them around, and remember they'll flip out a bit farther with more wheel speed. If you had a locker they'd be very effective on the rear but your SR doesn't. Either way they'll be night and day vs not having them.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
It’s clearance with the UCA, not within the wheel well. Has little to do with tire size.

11boo

WKR
Ahh, my brother dumped his Tundra in the ditch last winter. He said it had no power and dash lit up like a Christmas tree . I'll pass the info along about shutting off the traction control and such. Thanks
I just plain got stuck climbing with chains. Took a minute to figure out, I even looked under the truck to see if I had wrecked something. Deep snow.

You need a lot more than chains on a stock Tacoma.
That said, the Laclede diamond pattern is what I use and like it much more than the standard 90 degree chains.

Put inch and a half wheel spacers on my Tundra to run front chains.
This or new wheels with an offset that pushes them out further from the arm are the only ways I've figured out on any new truck.

I got the new wheels on my old Lexus LX470 and worked great for putting chains up front. It's a bummer but reality with these new trucks.

Gotcha_

FNG
@sram9102 what did you decide on? Looking for 5th gen ‘21 4runner and assume our clearances are similar enough.

Seems like chain opinions are different to the individual after reading this thread. Can’t seems to get a consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I agree with some of the others: You won't be able to clear your Upper Control Arm on the front without doing some mods. Some good tires, the ability to air down and back up again, shovel, traction boards, snatch cord, soft shackles etc will allow you to deal with most circumstances you'll encounter during 2nd rifle window.

I'd flex things out a lil and see how much room you do have. Tire chains on sheet metal make really really bad noises

Titan

WKR
Your first issue will definitely be the UCA to sidewall clearance. This will depend on current tire width/size. Brake lines are really only an issue with something flinging around. You want to secure the extra length of chain on both sides.

You can help with UCA clearance with a narrower tire, or spacing the wheels out. Then your main issue will be fender clearance or inner pinch weld clearance. Nothing a sawzall can't take care of...or the chains will.

You can also gain a little wiggle room by getting a narrower set of chains and then pulling them to the outside a little. That might get the chain to sit just above the UCA. Thats a dangerous game though and most likely not feasible when you go to install on a nasty trail.

Either way, you want cams and rubber bungees to keep everything as tight as possible. Recheck after a couple feet of moving.

OP
sram9102

sram9102

WKR
Thanks guys. I have some chains for the rear and some traction boards on the way. I understand the limits of my truck and won't push it too much with snow. The area I have picked out isn't crazy to get into or out of.

Gotcha_

FNG
One piece of advice that I saw on another thread; don’t chain in only chain out. That way you could never get to start going in that you can’t get out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk