Tacoma Chains

sram9102

WKR
Drew a 2nd season elk tag this year in CO. Going over my list of gear and I think I need some tire chains. I've driven in the mountains but have never been out this late in the past. I have a bone stock 23 Tacoma SR with 245/75R16 tires on it. Any recommendations for chains?

gman82001

WKR
Make sure you can fit chains lots of the newer small trucks can’t clear them. Otherwise any good set of heavy duty chains to fit the tires will be great, cam locks are nice but mine don’t have them I just use the rubber spider web bungee and no issues

rayporter

WKR
definitely try them on =practice.

for one trip i would just buy any chains that fit. i have ran cheap chains many times with good results. however they will wear faster and should be removed as soon as you can.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Drew a 2nd season elk tag this year in CO. Going over my list of gear and I think I need some tire chains. I've driven in the mountains but have never been out this late in the past. I have a bone stock 23 Tacoma SR with 245/75R16 tires on it. Any recommendations for chains?
I’ve got 2 sets of peerless chains. I run em on my farm truck most of the winter they came with a plastic box handy to pack them in when we go elk hunting we’ve had to use em once out there not to pricey hook on the inside and cam lock on outside came with rubber tensioner

Talk with Mark at Glacier Chain Supply in Anchorage Alaska.
He competes with all the other tire chain supply houses in the south 48 states.
He just has firsthand experience using them. Ships direct to you.

SDHNTR

WKR
But they work better on the front and my shit is way past warranty
Have you checked clearance? I’d be surprised if you could get anything to fit bigger than cable chains. There’s like 3/8” clearance with the upper control arm.

Weldor

WKR
Make sure you can fit chains lots of the newer small trucks can’t clear them. Otherwise any good set of heavy duty chains to fit the tires will be great, cam locks are nice but mine don’t have them I just use the rubber spider web bungee and no issues
For sure for many years now your owners manual will warn you about chains etc. I believe it is because they all went to 4 wheel disc brakes. Chains will tear them up in some cases.

11boo

WKR
Go on a taco forum if someone here doesn’t know. My Tundra takes regular chains easily on the rear, front was a no go.

And learn the traction control nanny crap. The tundra was “confused” and pretty much in limp mode till I shut off all the nanny crap.

Weldor

WKR
Go on a taco forum if someone here doesn’t know. My Tundra takes regular chains easily on the rear, front was a no go.

And learn the traction control nanny crap. The tundra was “confused” and pretty much in limp mode till I shut off all the nanny crap.
Ahh, my brother dumped his Tundra in the ditch last winter. He said it had no power and dash lit up like a Christmas tree . I'll pass the info along about shutting off the traction control and such. Thanks

OP
sram9102

sram9102

WKR
Thanks guys. The manual says no go on the front. Might look into some cables just to have something.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they'll fit on the front with a tire that small, there's way more than 3/8 of an inch clearance there. Be careful and test them somewhere first. Jack the tires and spin them around, and remember they'll flip out a bit farther with more wheel speed. If you had a locker they'd be very effective on the rear but your SR doesn't. Either way they'll be night and day vs not having them.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I cant help you with taco but on F250 I run:
35x12.5x18
V-bar boron on back
Super Z HD in front (key is HD/Commerical version, not the light duty ones)

It’s got to be bad bad for me to put on rear chains. As in I will probably blow a transfer case trying to get out bad

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
For my 2010 stock taco with 265/65 R17s I got chains for the rear at Tire Chains R Us out of Iowa. They were recommended on the TacomaWorld forum. I gave them a call, they asked some basic "how am I gonna use them" questions along with tire size, made some recommendations, and then quickly sent me what I ordered. They fit great and work well when needed. My last use was of them was getting over Snoqualmie pass last year. Surprise snow storm and it was a pisser. They were ~$110 delivered pre-covid.

fmyth

WKR
They won't fit on the front because there's not enough clearance between the tire and the upper control arm. Rule of thumb is to have a min of 1" clearance between the chains and any suspension, brake lines, sensor wires. You might be able put hub centric wheel spacers on it to gain the necessary clearance.