T3x Lite vs Savage Lightweight Storm

45-70govt

FNG
Hey guys,

Looking to set myself up with a lightweight .308 for this year. Trying to keep prices reasonable and am trying to decide between a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless or a Savage Lightweight Storm - both in .308.
The Tikka is a couple hundred bucks more a full pound heavier and two inches longer.
Is the quality of the Tikka worth the extra weight? No concerns with either brand.
Any one had their hands on both by chance?

Yes. Tikka is worth it. I have a stainless T3x in .25-06 and my brother has the Storm in .30-06. IMO, fit/finish, action smoothness, and precision are better on the Tikka. If you're a guy that's going to put a lot of rounds (thousands) through the rifle, Tikka has the edge in reliability too.

If you're interested in aftermarket upgrades or going semi custom in the future, there is support for both.

I’ve had my hands on both (have a few savages and a few tikkas). If I only had to pick one, either would be fine :) Some think the bolt is rougher on the savage but it’s not enough of a difference for me. Each of the rifles are accurate for me. I would try to handle both, see how the triggers feel (they are a bit different in feel), how the action feels. In my mind both are good choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve owned both. Currently have 2 tikkas and 0 savages. Not because the savages were bad I just had to go the semi custom route to get what exactly wanted. And the tikkas provided that.

I think the comment above summed it up. Just handle them and see what fits you best. And if you like the accutrigger or not. I personally am not a huge fan. I want the gun to go bang when I pull the trigger

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Savages are also known to be accurate, they just don't feel as as smooth as a tikka. The lightweight storm would make a solid walking around rifle regardless. Tikkas are nice but the bang for the buck isnt really there anymore IMO. They used to be a 900 dollar rifle that you could get for 500 bucks. Now they are a 900 dollar rifle that costs 900 dollars. Still nice, not the value they once had. I say that and I own 3 of them. I'm looking to get another lightweight rifle and I've been looking at a lightweight storm and kimber hunter though. I just don't see myself buying a 4th tikka.

KenLee

WKR
I'll never buy a bolt action with standard receiver length for a short action round when I'm trying to save weight. Blows my mind

Have a savage lightweight hunter in 243. It is a super handy/light rifle that shoots 1-1.2 moa with anything I put through it. It has a very rough action and crappy mags. The trigger feels gritty if I dont blow it out every once in awhile. Over all it is 100% functional, but does feel like a cheap rifle.

I dont own a tikka, but the ones I have handled feel a lot better overall. Isnt the t3x superlite a little over a half pound more?

I have the previous generation Savage Lightweight Hunter in 308 Win. I also have two Tikka T3X; one 6.5 CM and one 300 WM.

The Tikka will be more "refined" than the Savage. Both will likely be accurate as heck out of the box with commercial ammo; hand-loads will get you more accuracy on both. Don't care about the traditional complaints about both stocks as they work just fine for me and have had no negative impacts on shoot ability and accuracy.

You'll likely get a 3rd shot off before the group opens up with the Tikka; at 100 yards my Savage will have two holes touching and the third hole will be about 1/2" or so away (opens up from there due to barrel heating up). Usually only an issue at the range (knock on wood) but that is why you bring multiple guns (to allow them to cool).

The Tikka Lite is 6.4#, the Tikka SuperLite is 5.9#, and the Savage Lightweight Storm is 5.6#. If terribly concerned about weight, do consider the SuperLite.

Shoulder both, fondle both, and go from there. Tough call on the ~$200 difference as that can be used to getting a better scope without any real "loss" from a hunting perspective or applied to getting hand-loads developed.

I have both Savage and Tikka rifles in various hunting calibers. Excellent out of the box accuracy and very good adjustable triggers. Tikka has the edge on its smooth buttery action but Savage is no slouch. Both brands could stand to be paired with better stocks (unless you get the Savage with the aluminum Accustock, extra cost) but not a deal breaker for me. You can always upgrade the stock. I would suggest that you handle both rifles and check out their trigger, action, and balance then decide. I think both brands offer very good mid-price value and after purchase support.

OP
45-70govt

45-70govt

FNG
Thanks gents,

Didnt make my decision any easier, but valuable information regardless. Appreciate the help

jake0621

FNG
I've got a tikka t3x and a savage, both in .270. Ever since I got the Tikka, the savage collects dust. Just my personal experience but I love it

Titan_Bow

WKR
I put my Savage LWH in a Bell and Carlson stick with full bedding block. I am a fan of Savages, everyone I own shoots lights out accurate and they’ve never let me down in any way. I would not hesitate to buy another one

Elite

WKR
I have a savage ultralight storm and it shoots sun .5 moa 7mm-08. After 3 shots tho the barrel would heat and shoot terrible. Same issues with a light Kimber also

Freeride

FNG
I have had a few Savages and Tikkas over the years.

For pure target shooting rig I would go Savage. For hunting Tikka hands down.

Savage:
pros
- easy to rebarrel if you want later
- everyone has been very accurate
- true short action
cons
- all mine rusted very easily, even the "stainless" would start to rust instantly. If a mist or rain happened then you had to wipe it all down right away (and I would still get rust). Even a trip back home an hour later and you had rust spots.
- can be a pain to find aftermarket stocks (savage keeps changing bolt spacing)

Tikka
pros
- accurate
- very light
- holds up very well to rain/snow - no rusting even on week long backcountry raining every day trips on my stainless T3x

cons
- less aftermarket items then savage but getting a lot better every year
- not a true short action

If you have access to a Kimber Hunter or Kimber Hunter Pro Desolv, do give them a serious consideration as well.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I have a T3X in 7 mag that I love. Shot a 3 shot group today of .384. Tikka’s are hard to beat!!

To further muddy the waters...

You can order online the Kimber Hunter in either 6.5 CM or 30-06 for $680 from BassPro/Cabelas.