Synumn Portable Bow Press on Matthews Phase 4?

Liamk155

FNG
Hey all - based on some recommendations here and elsewhere, I just picked up a Synumn portable bow press to use to make minor adjustments to my Phase 4. Tested it a little bit today, and it's a nifty product, but I'm a bit worried on fully pressing the bow until I get some input on the placement of the bracket. I did get the Halon model of the Synumn, which does have the right spacing. But my confusion is regarding where to actually place the hooks to press it. The limbs have pockets for a traditional bow press, but the bracket doesn't quite fit in them. I can also go all the way over the pockets, but I'm not sure if that's any better.

I uploaded pics of both placements (as well as the bow press on the bow, snug but not pressing it)

Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3377.jpg
    IMG_3377.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 21

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
A rite of passage in bow tuning is blowing up a bow. Definitely wouldn't go with the method in IMG_3376, though.

• Haha
Reactions: Zac
OP
L

Liamk155

FNG
A rite of passage in bow tuning is blowing up a bow. Definitely wouldn't go with the method in IMG_3376, though.
yeah hoping to avoid that for at least a bit longer... I feel like both are a bit sketchy, but I've heard of folks using these on the past-parallel bows just fine. I'm leaning towards the second option since it definitely feels more solid, just wasn't sure if pressing from the side of that pocket is going to cause any issues. Also considering bending the tips of the bracket so that they fit into the pocket better.

I pressed my VXR (similar limb design to a Phase 4) with a Synunm a few times before I got an EZ Green press. It's a bit sketchy any way you do it, but I think putting the fingers completely over the press brackets (not just finger tips in the "valley") is more secure.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I know zero about that press but I have pressed 1000s of Mathews bows with the easy green and my only worry with doing like picture 2 is the pressure it puts on the limb in that location as the easy green puts it all inside that thing on the outside of the limb and bends in there not lower up the limb..Like above says he did it with a VXR which is really the same thing but it’s sketchy for sure. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not use the stay afield system? That looks pretty sketch to me

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Ho5tile1

WKR
Why not use the stay afield system? That looks pretty sketch to me

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I think he wants to break the bow all the way down and do new strings as well don’t think you can do that with the stay afield..

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
The only time I ruined a set of limbs was while using a portable bow press. It was the one you have though.

OP
L

Liamk155

FNG
Thanks all. I’m going to try the stay afield system for simple adjustments and just save up for a full bow press for more major work

Ho5tile1

WKR
Thanks all. I’m going to try the stay afield system for simple adjustments and just save up for a full bow press for more major work

I think that’s the smart play as well good luck

Jlamb

FNG
Would this potentially work better on a bow with flatter limbs? Or overall is it a cheap option for a reason

Would this potentially work better on a bow with flatter limbs? Or overall is it a cheap option for a reason
Yes I have one and used it on triax vertix and vxr but v3 and newer they made the limbs more past parallel and stressed and I don't think I would use a synum in those models. I'm actually gonna sell my synum shortly if anyne doesn't want to pay full price lmk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
triforce