Synthetic type boot for Alaska sheep hunt?

On the hunt for a sheep boot. Have a hunt booked in the Alaskan range in 2024. I wear crispis and love the fit. I run the lapponia 2 and the thors. Looking at the Colorado 2 because they come in a wide size and I have a wider toe box. My only concern is them being more synthetic and I don’t know how that’ll do in Alaska if it’s wet the whole time. My other choice is the briksdal uninsulated and the Scarpa ribelle HD but they have a more narrow fit I’ve heard. Any advice from any of these boots will be greatly appreciated thanks

You’ll get a range of opinions on this but I prefer synthetic. I’ve used both synthetic and full leather for AK sheep hunting and personally prefer the synthetics.

My opinion is: your feet are going to be soaked for the entire 10-14 day period regardless of what boot you bring so I’m wearing what is lighter and more comfortable. I’m taking my Salewa Ravens this year and leaving my Kenetreks in the truck

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
On the hunt for a sheep boot. Have a hunt booked in the Alaskan range in 2024. I wear crispis and love the fit. I run the lapponia 2 and the thors. Looking at the Colorado 2 because they come in a wide size and I have a wider toe box. My only concern is them being more synthetic and I don’t know how that’ll do in Alaska if it’s wet the whole time. My other choice is the briksdal uninsulated and the Scarpa ribelle HD but they have a more narrow fit I’ve heard. Any advice from any of these boots will be greatly appreciated thanks
I've been on several sheep hunts in Alaska and do alpine blacktail in SE. I used to run Lowa Tibets but they got worn down. They were great on slopes but anything that resembeled flat ground it was like walking with a 2×4 under your foot. They didn't fit me that well either.

i ended up trying the briksdals both regular and SF. I tried them around the house with a pack and decided to go with the SF. I am about 200 and with 50 lbd pack the regular ones didn't feel stiff enough.

For me I haven't regretted it at all. They have been great. No issues with getting wet. I use heaving snow seal or crispis own. Good gaiters help since the top of the shaft will soak up water. They have a bit of a rocker on them making walking on flatter ground alot nicer.

But like previous ppl wrote. It is very personal.

OP
J
@NilsBackstrom how do the briksdal fit? I have a wider than narrow toe box, that’s the only thing I’m worried about. Other than that it’s my #1 choice so far

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
@NilsBackstrom how do the briksdal fit? I have a wider than narrow toe box, that’s the only thing I’m worried about. Other than that it’s my #1 choice so far
I had the same concern, my front is a bit wider than normal as well. But I have not had any issues. They lock my heel very well so my foot doesn't bang against the front of the boot when descending or going downhill with a load.

If I were you I would try em on or order a pair and walk up and down the stairs with a load, it should give you a pretty good idea. If they don't feel good you just send them.

They were also remarkably lighter than the lowest.

And in regards to getting wet, I would not worry about that too much. They kept me dry or dry enough in SE where you get soaked by walking 10 yards into the woods on a sunny day.

But I haven't tried or owned many other boots so this is just my experience with them.

I would recommend the Scarpas (if they fit you).. I have several pairs of Scarpra and they just seem to work great for me. The posters above we absolutely correct in that you will probably be wet a good amount of the time you're in AK. I love my leather boots and treat them often to keep water from coming through.. Problem is that not all moisture comes through.. Much of it can come in from the tops (even if you're wearing gators - which I absolutely recommend). The one positives that I've found with the Scarpas (synthetics) is that they are very tough, water proof (as much as can be expected), but they dry much quicker that a full leather boot.. Once leather is completely wet/saturated it can take days to completely dry in good conditions and they won't dry for the rest of your hunt in bad conditions... Wet/cold feet have put the damper on many a hunt..

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supposedly the Thors and the Briksdal's use the same last. I have two pairs of Thors and they fit me PERFECTLY (hence two pairs :D). I ordered a pair of Briksdals (regular), I haven't gotten them out on the trails yet, but the fit seems to be the same.

I ordered them as I also have an upcoming sheep hunt. My thinking was while the Thors would certainly be up the task, with an all leather boot I've got two lines of defense on moisture- the Gore liner and thoroughly treating the leather.

If for some reason the Briksdal doesn't fit the same on the trail, I'll confidently bring a pair of my Thors :)

I really like my La Sportiva TX4 Mid GTX shoes for the backpacking and hunting I have done in the Kenai Mountains; they are lightweight and do a good job of keeping my feet dry with gaiters. I would want sturdier boots for a sheep hunt; has anyone tried the La Sportiva Trango TRK GTX boots?

Any suggestions on a synthetic boot that comes in a 12.5 for a sheep hunt? My feet are just over 12 and a 13 is a bit sloppy for mountain hunting with a good load.

Ram94

WKR
Any suggestions on a synthetic boot that comes in a 12.5 for a sheep hunt? My feet are just over 12 and a 13 is a bit sloppy for mountain hunting with a good load.
Check out the Scarpa Ribelle Lite HD. They’re essentially the same boot as the Kuiu Rebel K but for less money. These are mountaineering sized boots though which usually run half a size small so a 13 just might do it for you.

I would agree with the Scarpas totally, but the do run between .5 and 1 size on the small size. I normally wear an 11 in most boots, but heeddd the warnings and ordered size 12 and they are perfect with a mid weight sock and liner. If they fit you correctly you’ll love them, if they don’t you’ll hate then. I love them. I’ve never had my feet get wet while wearing them. If they do get wet they dry very quickly as opposed to all leather. The material they’re made of is unbelievably tough and resistant to damage from rock, brush, etc, etc. good luck with your choice and I hope they work well for you, whatever you end up with.

Thanks. I guess the question now is if a size 13 would be a better choice in the Scarpa’s. Any other suggestions for boots offered in 12.5 or that fit a bit smaller? I want a synthetic boot that is tough and water resistant, but dries easily. I also want the boot to be decent on sidehills and steep climbs, but not uncomfortable on lesser grades or gentler terrain. The Ribelle looks like it does that but I have reservations about ankle support with a 100# pack on. Thoughts on that?

Ram94

WKR
They’ve got great ankle support in my opinion. They’re a lot stiffer than I had expected, which is a good thing for me but because of the rocker profile, they walk like a much softer boot.

On sizing, I would normally wear a size 44 boot but went with a 44.5 in the Ribelle and they fit perfectly. If you size up a half euro size you should be good.

Last edited: