Synthetic type boot for Alaska sheep hunt?

OP
J
I just got the salewa ortles edge mid gtx. Synthetic all season mountaineering boot. I think it’ll be a great boot. It’s light and has a good stiff sole. Probably a 4 flex I would say. I normally wear 9.5 but got these in a 10. Fit awesome. I’ll be putting these to work hopefully in April during spring bear and horn hunting. I’ll report back on waterproofness and overall thoughts. Very impressed out of the box though

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doing my hunt over again I would take the Briksdal or another leather boot for the abrasion resistance. I used Salewa Raven's on my Dall hunt and absolutely shredded the sides of the boot because of the rocks. That textured material on the sides is easy for rocks to shred over time. A different boot that is smooth instead of textured would probably do well. I liked my Raven's but for sheep country where it's shaley and rocky there are other options I would go with.

uncastan

FNG
I used the Crispi Colorado on some goat hunts. For me, I wished they were a taller boot for ankle support in that terrain. They did much better than my kenetreks at staying dry and they dried out much quicker. My kenetreks would take 3 times as long to dry out. I'm also worried about tearing a synthetic boot in that terrain and will be looking for a different leather boot for this year. Buddy is running the scarpa ribelle now on sheep and goat hunts and liking them a lot.