Synthetic Base Layers

I am apparently allergic to merino-- couldn't tolerate the shirt I tried on-- itched like no other.

Was it C4? You aren't allergic (unless you broke out) you just wore cheap merino. Try the good stuff. C4 made me crazy. FL, Icebreaker or Minuss 33 is a whole different ball game.

jtw

WKR
I used capilene for years and loved it but switched to merino this year. After 10 days elk hunting they were still comfie and didnt stink. Only downside is that they dont dry as fast but that may just be perceived. If I did go back id use capilene.

Retterath

WKR
i have used syn for a long time and bought some first lite merino wool and I'm done with synthetics will never go back.

KHNC

WKR
First Lite and Rivers West is what I always use. RW for base and FL for outer. I still like to wear Scent-Lok Full Season suit on top of merino base layers in cold weather.

DaveC

WKR
Personal preference, I just don't like it when I stank real bad for days on end and to continue stinking and sharing a tent with someone for 3 more weeks. And then stink up my sleeping bag too. Ever spend 25 days straight in a tent and in the same clothes? Having minimal-stinking base layers is kinda nice. I can get away with 7 days on my merino stuff, easy, before a wash is warranted (I pack 3 changes of boxers for 25-day AK trips when drying laundry may not be an option). I have a ton of capilene and its great, but doesn't come into the wilderness with me.

Not a big deal if you're going on a long weekend trip of course.

This makes sense.

Now that it's November it is worth mentioning Patagonia Capilene 4: aka the best cold weather base layer ever invented. Hi void grip fleece, super light, remarkabley warm, and a great athletic fit with long sleeves and torso.