Synthetic Base Layers

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
I been reading posts of guys wanting to go back to synthetic base layers. I have found synthetics to be much more durable than merino wool and am looking to pick up a few tops. So, which brand is your favorite??

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've had really good luck with the Paradox base layers from Costco. I used them for years when I was framing houses and they hold up great. They are wool and synthetic blend. The price is great too.

KMT

WKR
I have a pair of store brand EMS (eastern mountain sports) that won't wear out. I'm even sick of looking at them already. But I'm sure that most brands will do just fine. I wear smart wool now and rarely use synthetic.

For a single day or two synthetic is okay but if you're gonna be in the backcountry for a week or more you'll be smelling pretty darn funky. Ewwww.

Jay585

FNG
I've had great experiences with Patagonia's Capilene line and Marmot. The Marmot bottoms I have are older and shaped a bit like corduroy pants (with the valleys & ridges). I see on their website they have smooth faced bottoms, I cannot speak for those.

For a single day or two synthetic is okay but if you're gonna be in the backcountry for a week or more you'll be smelling pretty darn funky. Ewwww.

You won't notice. And if you do, use baby wipes or better yet; a kerchief bath.

I've had great experiences with Patagonia's Capilene line and Marmot. The Marmot bottoms I have are older and shaped a bit like corduroy pants (with the valleys & ridges). I see on their website they have smooth faced bottoms, I cannot speak for those.

You won't notice. And if you do, use baby wipes or better yet; a kerchief bath.
i beg to differ.
even my merino is almost unwearable by day 7.

i like the sitka core shirt

DaveC

WKR
Patagonia remains the most durable stuff I've ever used. I have lightweight capilene that's over a decade old.

Why folks worry so much about smelling while backpacking eludes me.

Browtine

WKR
Patagonia remains the most durable stuff I've ever used. I have lightweight capilene that's over a decade old.

^^^ Great stuff. If I'm not wearing merino, I'm wearing capilene.

ScottP

WKR

Personal preference, I just don't like it when I stank real bad for days on end and to continue stinking and sharing a tent with someone for 3 more weeks. And then stink up my sleeping bag too. Ever spend 25 days straight in a tent and in the same clothes? Having minimal-stinking base layers is kinda nice. I can get away with 7 days on my merino stuff, easy, before a wash is warranted (I pack 3 changes of boxers for 25-day AK trips when drying laundry may not be an option). I have a ton of capilene and its great, but doesn't come into the wilderness with me.

Not a big deal if you're going on a long weekend trip of course.

gmajor

WKR
I can't fathom returning to synthetics. Feels like plastic wrap to me. But then again, I do not react well to sweating in synthetics for days, regardless of smell. I'll just leave it at that. I don't even like merino blended with any synthetic.

That said, I also have some patagonia capilene that is like new after a long time. But, it's only seen intermittent day hike use after moving to 100% merino layers.

duchntr

WKR
For synthetics I use patagonia and my merino of choice is ibex. I have a ibex merino half zip that I've used hard for 3 years and its holding up fine probably get another 3 out of it hopefully.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm not a real smelly person. Some guys iv gone with.... Merino is a must.

I still use merino but still have a bunch of synthetic stuff. And I do usually prefer synthetic. It dries way faster, and usually feels more comfortable and doesn't stretch to shit when it is wet.

IMO sitka synthetic base layers and their traverse layer(my traverse is my favorite piece of clothing) work best for me. Fit, function and they are camo :)

Don't care one bit for under armor or anything with the word compression on it, too tight to the skin and it gives me that plastic bag feeling and makes the boys chafe. Some of the backpacking brands make some decent synthetics as well.

I have both the syn & merino Sitka stuff and the merino is so much more comfortable. If you are hunting hard all day and working up a sweat...it's the only way to go. I pack two sets...one for the field and one for sleeping. After a week I place em in a creek overnight (using a rock to keep em from floating away) and they are fine once they dry out. And yeah, wipes too. I will even take a snowmelt bath real quick just to not be Peppy Lepew.

165834-197015-pepe-le-pew.gif