Switchback limb question

Blue_dog

FNG
Hey guys - I spent the morning shooting my bow and just noticed my lower limb has a section that is fraying and sort of peeling off.

It’s a 2008 switchback shooting 70 pounds. I assume these are the original limbs, but I’ve only had the bow about five or six years.

Is this no big deal or do I have to replace the Iimbs?

I’m headed out west in August so if I need to make repairs I have to do it quick.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 20

hiker270

WKR
I'd cut the frayed piece off down to where it started to fray, then super glue where you cut it off. Shoot it and keep a close eye on it. If it frays again replace the limbs. New limbs are about $200 from Mathews. Or look for another Switchback on Ebay or possibly ArcheryTalk.

OR Archer

WKR
Any Mathew’s dealer can still order you new limbs. For that old of a bow they’ll only come in black as they don’t have that camo film available anymore. You could probably find a used set, however, they’ll not have a warranty unlike ordering a new set from a dealer.

OP
B

Blue_dog

FNG
Thanks guys. I have to get the new set installed by next Thursday before I leave town. I’m hope shipping is fast.

I shoot a 3 pin slider. Should I expect that the bow speed will change any with new limbs?

Thanks guys. I have to get the new set installed by next Thursday before I leave town. I’m hope shipping is fast.

I shoot a 3 pin slider. Should I expect that the bow speed will change any with new limbs?
Better start working on plan B...I would be surprised if you could get new limbs delivered and installed in under a week. For the short term, I would just clip the splinter off, sand down the stub, then cover the damaged portion with super glue.

If the replacement limbs are rated for the same poundage, you should be able to keep speed the same. I would recommend measuring your current draw weight, axle-to-axle length, and brace height so you know what to shoot for after you replace the limbs. Also try to maintain your current yoke twists when you reinstall the cable to keep the same amount of lean in your idler wheel.

Last edited: