Swfa 3-9 diopter adjustment

OP
H
Sounds like it. But again, this is for a fixed parallax scope.

@mxgsfmdpx , you say you experience the same thing with your swfa scopes? If that's the case it sounds like the diopter adjustment may just be wayyy more touchy than what I've experienced before. I played with it again last time I shot and it didn't seem to be much of a hindrance. I'll keep working with it and see if I can find a sweet spot.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Sounds like it. But again, this is for a fixed parallax scope.

@mxgsfmdpx , you say you experience the same thing with your swfa scopes? If that's the case it sounds like the diopter adjustment may just be wayyy more touchy than what I've experienced before. I played with it again last time I shot and it didn't seem to be much of a hindrance. I'll keep working with it and see if I can find a sweet spot.
Yea. Two fixed 6 scopes and one 3-9 all ordered and delivered in the last 3 months. Never had reticles this difficult to focus but take your time and do it right. Constantly look to infinite before going back into the scope. Make sure the reticle is on clear open blue sky also at infinite. It should be clear as soon as you go into it, don’t take any time for your eye to adjust to the reticle. Mine are all way off from factory “center” position and took a good 30 minutes each to fully dial in. Take breaks and look both near and far with naked eye before going into the scope. Don’t stress your eyes.

BjornF16

WKR
Seems excessive…here is where I landed with the first 3-9 I opened/checked (black box):

image.jpg

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
My first ones were like that and I have since had cataract surgery and they all including the new one I just got are much closer. For me the issue was my eyes:)

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Seems excessive…here is where I landed with the first 3-9 I opened/checked (black box):

View attachment 497738
Quite excessive. Here is where my fixed 6 landed on my .260. Keep in mind this did not affect performance. This scope and rifle combo killed 6 big game animals in the scopes first season this year, and I never had to mess with it once. Two flights, hundreds of miles in truck and ATV. Every time I sighted it in reticle was fine and never lost zero. This season 30 yards was closest kill and 530 yards was furthest kill. This scope and the tikka .260 is like hitting the easy button for killing.

94E1FCD0-D9FD-4CB5-A85C-031A1DB9262F.jpeg

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I had sent my 3-9 back to SWFA, and just received it’s replacement Have not had a chance to play with it and check the focus yet. I do see that they are using a new fancy box instead of the old plane Jane box.

Clark33

WKR
Ive never had a ffp scope without parallax. Usually I set parallax to infinity, point reticle at sky or white wall and adjust diopter until reticle is clear.

For the 3-9 are you guys looking at an object some distance off and doing this or looking at blue sky/white back drop?

sndmn11

WKR
Ive never had a ffp scope without parallax. Usually I set parallax to infinity, point reticle at sky or white wall and adjust diopter until reticle is clear.

For the 3-9 are you guys looking at an object some distance off and doing this or looking at blue sky/white back drop?

I look at the sky to see if the reticle is "bold" and happy to my eye on a blink. Then when I'm satisfied I look at a something and make sure it is similarly happy. All of my scope's are at or a scoosh off neutral, the 3-9s I have are a hair off of all the way in.

fwafwow

WKR
I just went through this with my first 3-9x and I'm glad for this thread, especially the pictures by @BjornF16 and @mxgsfmdpx. I don't think I would have ever figured that I would have to screw out that far. Usually with scopes or binos my adjustment is just towards the first (or only) "+" sign.

OP
H
I just went through this with my first 3-9x and I'm glad for this thread, especially the pictures by @BjornF16 and @mxgsfmdpx. I don't think I would have ever figured that I would have to screw out that far. Usually with scopes or binos my adjustment is just towards the first (or only) "+" sign.

Absolutely odd for me too. It is either incredibly touchy mine has something odd going on with the focus.

It just absolutely won't adjust to where the reticle is clear, target is clear at 100, and target is clear at 600. This is set on 9x power. I haven't really paid that much attention to this issue on lower power

fwafwow

WKR
Absolutely odd for me too. It is either incredibly touchy mine has something odd going on with the focus.

It just absolutely won't adjust to where the reticle is clear, target is clear at 100, and target is clear at 600. This is set on 9x power. I haven't really paid that much attention to this issue on lower power
I'm going to check that out tomorrow in the field. Today I was limited to distance in my basement.

BjornF16

WKR
I put my reading glasses on to check my 3-9…

With readers, the focus was good to go out of the box (i.e. didn’t have the big gap).

With distance glasses on, as depicted in my earlier picture.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Take your time and do it right! This takes a long time to get corrected properly with these scopes. It isn’t a quick adjustment to fine to it to your eye.

Follow the process and take your time. I have 4 of these scopes now and each one has taken multiple sit downs of about 30-40 min each to get them right. Never an issue after that with reticle focus.

I can write up a more detailed description of what needs to be done if needed... Same thing we do for adjusting total station reticles to fit the surveyors eye. It’s important to get it right, lock it in, and never have to worry about it anymore.

BjornF16

WKR
Take your time and do it right! This takes a long time to get corrected properly with these scopes. It isn’t a quick adjustment to fine to it to your eye.

Follow the process and take your time. I have 4 of these scopes now and each one has taken multiple sit downs of about 30-40 min each to get them right. Never an issue after that with reticle focus.

I can write up a more detailed description of what needs to be done if needed... Same thing we do for adjusting total station reticles to fit the surveyors eye. It’s important to get it right, lock it in, and never have to worry about it anymore.
Yes, please write up