SWFA 3-15x42 SS 30mm FFP Rifle Scope

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Question for the seemingly many of you who have moved away from Leupold like I am thinking to do - would this SWFA 3-15x42 SS 30mm FFP Rifle Scope which is currently on sale be a good scope for my Winchester M70 EW SS 30-06 if I'm looking to get more comfortable and proficient shooting out to 500yds? ALso would need to change to 30mm rings, would I want/need new bases as well? Any recommendations for rings/bases to give stability and dependability and avoid issues with POI shifts/etc on Leupolds?

Thanks in advance.

JFK

WKR
In my opinion it’s too much scope for 500 yards. You don’t need that much magnification, and it’s heavy. The swfa 3-9 would be the choice. It’s quite a bit more money, but the nightforce shv 3-10 is a great, reliable scope. Have dialed mine hundreds of times from 300-700 yards and it’s always on. If you want ffp and swfa get the fixed 6x.

nobody

WKR
Great scope. Probably more than you need, for an -06 at 500, but there's no reason it won't work. It would serve you well and be versatile if you ever want to move it to multiple other rifles down the road.

For rings and bases, a good picatinny rail and some nightforce or seekins rings will be perfect.

I'll 3rd what the other two said, more scope than you need for 500. In order of priority I'd get
NF nxs 2.5-10x42
SWFA 3-9X42

I personally prefer about 2x per 100 yards. I can shoot further with less but that is where I like to be.

A quality rail jb welded to the action and solid rings will serve you well. I like hawkins and seekins personally. I have a set of rings from unknown munitions that by design look like a winner but haven't used them yet. Area 419 rings look stellar as well. Their rails are top notch.

BLJ

WKR
Get it. I like mine. If you don’t like it, sell it for what you paid for it in the classifieds for what you paid for it.

And if the 3-15 is to much for you at 500, don’t turn it past 9. 😁 (Just kidding, guys.)

OP
abbrown

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
ended up finding a 3-9x42 swfa so pumped to give that a go. For 30mm rings and that specific scope, what height rings does one need? low, or medium? anyone have the mm or in measurement needed for height clearance? thanks

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
ended up finding a 3-9x42 swfa so pumped to give that a go. For 30mm rings and that specific scope, what height rings does one need? low, or medium? anyone have the mm or in measurement needed for height clearance? thanks
I actually have a m70 EWSS that has an SWFA on it right now since I’m playing musical scopes before hunting season. The m70 has warne maxima bases and warne mountain tech low 30mm rings.

Choupique

WKR
Get it. I have the same scope on the same rifle as you (different caliber).

I killed my BOAL with it at about 50 feet this year. It isn't going to hinder you on close shots. I think the 3-9 would be better if you could get one, but the high magnification is pretty cool sometimes.

I bought mine because it was what I could get (wanted a 3-9), but now that I have it I'm keeping it forever. Love that big heavy scope.

matthewmt

WKR
Anyone have any experience with SWFA rings? A set was free with my order of a x6 over July 4th sale.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Low will work for clearancce, but I ened up going with mediums on my RA to line up better with my cheek weld.

Warne Maxima

BLJ

WKR
Anyone have any experience with SWFA rings? A set was free with my order of a x6 over July 4th sale.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I used them to mount my 6x. They seem fine to me. Nothing special, nothing bad.

I will say that the best set of rings I own are Vortex Pros. So my opinion on rings may not carry a lot of weight. 😁