SWFA 10x42 for varmint hunting <300yds?

I have a Tikka T3X in 223 that currently wears an old Leupold Mark AR mod 1 3-9x40 in mil/mil. I haven’t ever noticed any problems with it, but I was thinking about changing optics just to try something new. Based on budget/availability and opinions on this site I was looking at the SWFA SS 10x42 or the Trijicon Credo 3-9x40.

This rifle is mainly used for varmint control (primarily woodchuck) around the property and most shots are taken between 50 to about 150 yards. The longest shot I lazed at 285 yards.

I like the idea of the SWFA, but being that a lot of shots are taken at short distances of <150 yards I am wondering if a fixed 10 power optic is a bad choice. I have a bushnell match pro on a cheap rimfire and I like the parallax adjustment on that scope so I was kind of wanting to get one with adjustable parallax for this tikka (I know the credo is fixed parallax).

Is parallax adjustment even necessary/useful on varmint sized targets out to 300yds?

Am I going to regret a fixed 10 power at these ranges? I do shoot my current optic on max zoom a lot though…

Any other options in the $500 range that are historically as durable and repeatable as the SWFA (or close to it)? I recently got a membership to a 500yd range near me and would like to shoot this rifle out to those distances as well.

Thanks!

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a 10x SWFA on a 22 I just use at the range. It is the MOA version. The reticle is very fine. I don’t think I would be able to use it for hunting except in the open and in pretty bright conditions. The 6x, pretty much non-obtainium, has a thicker reticle.

I also think 10x would handicap you on a coyote that ran into 30 yards.

RWT

WKR
Credo for certain

I have a Trij Huron 3x9x40 and Swfa 10x. The Huron wins for hunting. The FOV is obviously bigger, turret are smaller, better reticle and glass.

My .223 tikka has the fixed SWFA 10x on it. Use it all the time on the farm for groundhogs from 20 yards to 400 yards.

Hasn't handicapped me much, I'd like a little more mag when I get past 300, but that's just cause I usually can't see very much of them.

Big_wals

WKR
If you don’t mind a used scope, buy both! Keep an eye on the classifieds here, buy one of each, and then keep the one you like and resell the other. They both hold their value pretty good, shouldn’t lose much money reselling here on RS.

Big_wals

WKR
There’s two SWFAs in the classifieds right now, a MIL and an MOA. The 3-9 credos come up fairly regularly. Either one should be relatively easy to resell on here if you dont like it.

OP
I
Well, I shot this 10 round group the other day with the rifle as is… this was with factory ammo, but maybe I should just buy more components for my reloads… group did open up when I shot 7 more but that was probably me
IMG_0808.jpegIMG_0807.jpeg