Swarovski NL Pure 10X vs 12X

Man, I must be a little slow on the uptake here but I can't visualize how you can hold binoculars without any support (thumbs?) on the underside.....where on top do your hands go and the thumbs are just on the sides of the barrels? A picture here would really be helpful!
Not a pic but put your left hand in front of you. Make a letter c, with 2nd-5th digits all touching, thumb is pointing at your face.

Very stable.

Eyecups are in contact with the orbit/eye, hands are in contact with end of the barrel near the objective lens. Elbows are pointing down resting on your chest or bino harness. 3 points of contact are key. IME.

When I run the 10’s I use them with the forehead rest and they’re good to go. I think if you run the 10’s & 12’s at rest they’re both good but when I notice the differences is when I’m out hunting on the trails were my heart rate is higher than normal so that itself gives me the shakes/tremor when glassing and it’s more noticeable on the 12’s than the 10’s.

See I don’t even run the forehead rest, I found it annoying when using the tripod. If I blast up a mountain and I’m gasping for breath obviously my viewing is going to suffer tremendously, but it would with anything. We do a lot of steep hiking though and I’ve got no problem with off handing the NL12’s with an elevated heart rate. Most of the time I’m pulling them out one handed and holding them one handed because I’ve got two dogs leashes in the other hand.

I guess some people are just more or less stable than others. I have had 12x50 EL’s though that I could not offhand well and lived on a tripod, so I don’t know.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
When you ran the 12’s field hunting did you control them pretty easily? I felt like i couldn’t control them when I out stalking big game but then again I’m always on the move on my hunts.
Yeah, I felt like I could, if I wasn't out of breath. The ergos of the NLs are something else. Like, I may be spoiled for life they feel so comfortable. I wasn't uncomfortable with my last set which were 10s from Meopta, but the ergonomics are night and day. Even compared to the EL Range, it's a pretty big difference. I didn't anticipate liking them that much on that feature.

Hoggetter

FNG
The NL12’s are great for open country glassing by hand or off tripod.
The NL 8’s are great for heavy cover elk or heavy forest blacktail deer.

nphunter

WKR
My opinion on why they sell so many more 12s is because at 10x there are so many binos on the market that can do the same job for so much less. Pure's are absolutely awesome glass but at 10x what you will gain over any other top-tier 10x is negligible, even over something like a Meostar or Razor HD the difference you will see in real-world use is minimal for 99% of users.

The 12x42 in the smaller housing and a huge field of view is kind of unique, they pack on the chest well and are very comfortable to hold. With the large field of view, they can be handheld decently, and on a tripod, they absolutely blow a set of 10s out of the water.

mrroughit

FNG
My opinion on why they sell so many more 12s is because at 10x there are so many binos on the market that can do the same job for so much less. Pure's are absolutely awesome glass but at 10x what you will gain over any other top-tier 10x is negligible, even over something like a Meostar or Razor HD the difference you will see in real-world use is minimal for 99% of users.

The 12x42 in the smaller housing and a huge field of view is kind of unique, they pack on the chest well and are very comfortable to hold. With the large field of view, they can be handheld decently, and on a tripod, they absolutely blow a set of 10s out of the water.
This was exactly my rationale when I purchased the 12x42 NL's.

I have the 10x NL pures. Love them. It would make sense for people to go up to the 12x because of the massive field of view. The 12x42 NL Pure field of view is 339 ft/1000 yds which is 3 ft better than the Swaro EL 10x42 which is 336 ft/1000 yds. I was originally deciding between 8x and 10x binos and went with the 10x because of the awesome field of view.

The 12x is certainly a game changer in the 12x options on the market, but the advantages are still there over other options with the 8's and 10's as well. You still get a massive FOV bigger than anything else available, the amazingly crisp edge to edge swarovski glass, and you still get all the other benefits like the focus design, the ergos, the eye cups, and the excellent accessory pack that swarovski sends you of usable stuff instead of some basic shitty bag and strap like most.