Swarovski EL vs Leica Noctivid

Corbin99

FNG
Hey guys I'm in the market for a good pair of binos and the swaro el and leica noctivid are a couple that I've looked at. I currently run the maven b.2 but I get some rolling ball effect. Am I likely to have the same problem with the Swarovski el as well?

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
I personally don't get the rolling ball with EL's. I tried both couple years ago at europtics. Two things immediately stood out. The ergonomics on the Noctovids was terrible. At least for me. The bridge was too narrow so I couldn't wrap my fingers around the barrels. And the Noctovids had substantially more chromatic aberration. Id go els for sure between the two

ahansel

FNG
A little late here, but FWIW I sold my Swaro ELs to buy the Leica Noctivids (both in 10x42). Felt like they were very similar on edge-to-edge clarity, but felt the Noctivids were brighter in low light and had truer color rendition (especially in broad daylight, which for me is helpful when stalking). As for the comment above on chromatic aberration I detect none (which I do detect in Zeiss 15x56s).

w.travis

FNG
Why not Swarovski SLC, definitely no rolling ball there. Not an open bridge though as in both EL and Nocs

PHo

WKR
I’m very sensitive to chromatic aberration and the Noctivids definitely had more of it than the ELs, or any other Swaro for that matter. I also suffer from rolling ball as well and the ELs were the worst that I’ve seen in that department. I’ve been along time fan of the SLCs (because there was no rolling ball effect), but recently just purchased the NL Pures. Although the NLs had rolling ball as well (not as pronounced as the ELs), after using them for about a week I no longer notice it. I’m now thinking perhaps I’d get along with the ELs after getting use to them the way I have with my NLs. I guess my best advice for you is to try them both out and see if they work for you, then return the ones that don’t.

I own both so if you’re around central Montana anytime you’re more than welcome to come try them both out.

I much prefer the Noctivid. To me they are noticeably brighter in low light conditions. On a tripod, there’s zero rolling ball when panning. (Drives me nuts with the swaros).
The Noctivids are more vivid. I’d say the Swaros feel a tad more comfortable in the hand. The Swaros do resolve or have better resolution at the edge but the Leicas are damn nice.
If I were to pick one it would definitely be the Leicas.

If you throw the Zeiss in, then the SF’s would be my choice.

I considered Leica Noctivids, Swaro ELs, and Zeiss Victory SF binos when I was getting mine. I initially bought both EL 10x50s and Zeiss SF. I ended up selling the Zeiss and now I kept only the EL 10x50s. I don't see any rolling ball with the EL's and the number of people who do is not even close to a majority I believe. I do wear glasses so the fact that the 10x50s have 50mm objectives is a big deal to me. If I didn't need that size objective in order to see the whole picture through 10s, I'd get either Leica or Swaro rangefinding binos personally.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
I own both so if you’re around central Montana anytime you’re more than welcome to come try them both out.

I much prefer the Noctivid. To me they are noticeably brighter in low light conditions. On a tripod, there’s zero rolling ball when panning. (Drives me nuts with the swaros).
The Noctivids are more vivid. I’d say the Swaros feel a tad more comfortable in the hand. The Swaros do resolve or have better resolution at the edge but the Leicas are damn nice.
If I were to pick one it would definitely be the Leicas.

If you throw the Zeiss in, then the SF’s would be my choice.
I wish I was up in that direction because I can’t ever seem to find a store with them both.

A lot won’t notice the rolling ball, but once someone points it out then that’s all you’ll notice. Especially if you glass from a tripod. Those who don’t see it just haven’t been made aware of it. It’s that simple. EVERY EL has it. If somebody says there’s doesn’t, that’s impossible.

A lot won’t notice the rolling ball, but once someone points it out then that’s all you’ll notice. Especially if you glass from a tripod. Those who don’t see it just haven’t been made aware of it. It’s that simple. EVERY EL has it. If somebody says there’s doesn’t, that’s impossible.
No one says that type of distortion isn't in EL binos, but how much you notice it and how much issue it is varies by person because not everyone's own visual distortion is the same. Swarovski didn't screw up and create some monstrosity that makes 100% of the people who use it sick. The rolling ball is the result of a design choice they made to flatten the field and they made that choice because they correctly assumed it wouldn't be an issue for the majority of people. I don't notice rolling ball at all and it's never been an issue, and my ELs get used almost exclusively off a tripod with a pan head. I'll link a lengthy explanation of what it is as well as another Rokslide thread on it. Or you could pop into birdwatching forums to read more about it, since they tend to know 10x as much about binoculars as hunters do.

PHo

WKR
Any optic with field flatteners will have some level of rolling ball. The Zeiss SFs are another bino (besides the Swaros) that have the effect…if you notice it.

No one says that type of distortion isn't in EL binos, but how much you notice it and how much issue it is varies by person because not everyone's own visual distortion is the same. Swarovski didn't screw up and create some monstrosity that makes 100% of the people who use it sick. The rolling ball is the result of a design choice they made to flatten the field and they made that choice because they correctly assumed it wouldn't be an issue for the majority of people. I don't notice rolling ball at all and it's never been an issue, and my ELs get used almost exclusively off a tripod with a pan head. I'll link a lengthy explanation of what it is as well as another Rokslide thread on it. Or you could pop into birdwatching forums to read more about it, since they tend to know 10x as much about binoculars as hunters do.

Im very well versed on how and why the “rolling ball” is created and or what the reasoning is. I worked for a company 2011-2014 that coated optical lenses for Nikon. And also a member on Bird Forum since before I can remember.

Im simply saying that the rolling ball is present and those who don’t see it “for the most part” just haven’t had it pointed out. I’ve glassed with a few who have never noticed it in the years of using the EL’s. Even after they’ve been made aware of what it is. But after sitting with them and pointed out what to look for it seems to (click.). Usually get the “oh sh%* now I see it.

Im very well versed on how and why the “rolling ball” is created and or what the reasoning is. I worked for a company 2011-2014 that coated optical lenses for Nikon. And also a member on Bird Forum since before I can remember.

Im simply saying that the rolling ball is present and those who don’t see it “for the most part” just haven’t had it pointed out. I’ve glassed with a few who have never noticed it in the years of using the EL’s. Even after they’ve been made aware of what it is. But after sitting with them and pointed out what to look for it seems to (click.). Usually get the “oh sh%* now I see it.
If it takes that degree of going above and beyond to make them aware of something that is currently not an issue for them, why do you do it and (as you say) create a problem that they notice from there on out that wasn't an issue before? I feel like when you say "it's all you'll notice" you mean "it's all I'll notice".

Edit: I think our central disagreement comes from a misunderstanding. The binoculars have field flatteners and create rolling ball that is only noticeable/detrimental to some people. If you need to do extreme stuff to draw someone'e attention to it, it obviously wasn't an issue for them and from there any negative effect of them concentrating on it is purely mental. The degree to which someone sees rolling ball varies by person and so it absolutely does not mean that "it's all they'll see". They may not see it at all (hence why ELs sell so well) or if they see it but it doesn't bother them that much it can also be fine that way.

Last edited:
If it takes that degree of going above and beyond to make them aware of something that is currently not an issue for them, why do you do it and (as you say) create a problem that they notice from there on out that wasn't an issue before? I feel like when you say "it's all you'll notice" you mean "it's all I'll notice".

Edit: I think our central disagreement comes from a misunderstanding. The binoculars have field flatteners and create rolling ball that is only noticeable/detrimental to some people. If you need to do extreme stuff to draw someone'e attention to it, it obviously wasn't an issue for them and from there any negative effect of them concentrating on it is purely mental. The degree to which someone sees rolling ball varies by person and so it absolutely does not mean that "it's all they'll see". They may not see it at all (hence why ELs sell so well) or if they see it but it doesn't bother them that much it can also be fine that way.

I’d agree to that.

I don’t try to make it an issue. I simply point it out when the topic comes up. Some seem to focus on it more than others once they recognize it.

bozeman

WKR
Ive had SLC's, EL's and currently have Noctovids......these 8X42 Noctovids are NICE!!! Fantastic in low light, color quality is spot on. Very happy with these and don't see me getting rid fo these anytime soon.

I own the EL 8.5 x 42 and they are simply incredible glass. I am not sensitive whatsoever to this "rolling ball" effect. When I look through my ELs, I pan all over the place and it is like any other binocular I've owned.