Swarovski 10x42 - SLC or EL

Kody

FNG
Pros and cons between the newest models would be appreciated! I thought the advantage of the EL's was the weight and ergonomics (and field flattened lenses), but the newer SLC's are lighter. Are the EL's worth the extra coin? Thanks in advance!

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I feel the hinge design is better in the ELs and they are also able to focus to a closer distance. For me it really came down to feel, ELs just felt better in my hand. Optically I don't know that you would see a major difference.

Are you going to be running and gunning with them? If weight isn't a major issue then the 10x50 els wouldn't be out of consideration either.

wyodan

WKR
I looked through both of them when I purchased the ELs. I thought the field flattener lenses were well worth the extra. I did purchase mine 6 years ago, I'm not sure if there has been any more updates to either model since then.

To my eyes, the Els are better.

When I was pondering the same question, the Swarovski rep told me they are tuned differently. If my memory serves me correctly, the SLC were tuned brighter while the Els were more HD with the flat lenses. (we are splitting hairs at this high-end glass) His best advice was to view them and decide because folks chose both for difference reasons when comparing. When I looked through the EL SV, they were undeniable to my eyes. They were king. I love how they just fit my eyes (eye relief) i hate the Vortex Razors for this very reason- I can not see through them.

You got the rest correct. (size, weight, feel, etc...) I think the FOV might be different as well - ELs being better.

OP
K

Kody

FNG
I feel the hinge design is better in the ELs and they are also able to focus to a closer distance. For me it really came down to feel, ELs just felt better in my hand. Optically I don't know that you would see a major difference.

Are you going to be running and gunning with them? If weight isn't a major issue then the 10x50 els wouldn't be out of consideration either.

Running and gunning, the 10x50's are interesting as well!

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I looked through both of them when I purchased the ELs. I thought the field flattener lenses were well worth the extra. I did purchase mine 6 years ago, I'm not sure if there has been any more updates to either model since then.
If you bought them six years ago, I don't believe you got the field flattener lenses, you have the regular EL not the EL SV

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Kody,

I like the SLCs and Swarovski designed them with hunters in mind. The SLC design is optimized for contrast in low light (for hunters) while the ELs are optimized for color fidelity (for birders). If you spend a bunch of time staring at the edges, or birding, or looking at butterflies where the close focus comes in handy, or just prefer the EL view, then the ELs may be the choice for you.

wyodan,

If your ELs are six years old, then there have been major changes to the EL since then, including the addition of "Swarovision" field flatteners in the eyepiece design and flourite glass ("HD") in the objective assembly. I believe the new versions came to the US market in 2010. Your ELs are likely the previous generation, which are still awesome, although they lack the flatteners or HD. I have the 8X32 previous generation EL myself, and like it a lot.

In any case, the SLC and EL are still flagship models from one of the very best companies.

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Unless the monetary difference is too big, I'd buy the ELs. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either, it took me almost a month to decide. At this point though, you've already decided to go top of the line, might as well finish the job.

btw, dont overlook the 8x32 in the EL SV as Bitter states. I was a 10x42 Leica guy for years. I wanted the lighter glass and went with the 8s, and I have not missed my 10s one second. I also put them on a tripod, and I a shocked how good they really are. I give up no light....tested with friend that have zeiss and leica. I love my 8s !! love them !

OP
K

Kody

FNG
Kody,

I like the SLCs and Swarovski designed them with hunters in mind. The SLC design is optimized for contrast in low light (for hunters) while the ELs are optimized for color fidelity (for birders). If you spend a bunch of time staring at the edges, or birding, or looking at butterflies where the close focus comes in handy, or just prefer the EL view, then the ELs may be the choice for you.

wyodan,

If your ELs are six years old, then there have been major changes to the EL since then, including the addition of "Swarovision" field flatteners in the eyepiece design and flourite glass ("HD") in the objective assembly. I believe the new versions came to the US market in 2010. Your ELs are likely the previous generation, which are still awesome, although they lack the flatteners or HD. I have the 8X32 previous generation EL myself, and like it a lot.

In any case, the SLC and EL are still flagship models from one of the very best companies.

Thanks for the info!

wyodan

WKR
If you bought them six years ago, I don't believe you got the field flattener lenses, you have the regular EL not the EL SV

They are for sure the field flattener lenses. I waited until the SLC 42HD came out so I could try them side by side. I'm not sure if either model has been updated since then.

wyodan

WKR
BB, they might not be as old as I think, but I am positive they were the field flattener lenses. It had to be 2009 or 2010 when I bought them. Any updates since then?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
wyodan, the SLC HD was released in late 2010 and widely available in early 2011, so you probably got your SVs then.

Since then, Swarovski has extended HD glass to the whole SLC line, changed the armor, and changed the focus mechanism. Oh yeah, they dropped the SLC price too!

The SVs are mostly the same, although Swarovski is known for tweaking models without much fanfare, as they did with the original SLCs over the years.

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Kody,

wyodan,

There is a 1% percent difference in light transmission, not even perceptable to the human eye. So while you are correct that they do better in low light, it would probably take a machine to actually show a difference.

There is more dioptemetric correction in the EL (more range of focus for the right eye) and better eye relief. SLCs also use cheaper eye pieces.

Color fidelity is important in hunting too, since deer/elk aren't colored orange or yellow it's important to be able to pick them out against similarly colored surroundings.

As I stated, you would be happy with either.

However, aside from the miniscule 1% difference in light transmission, don't let anyone fool you into thinking the SLC is in anyway superior to the EL SV

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
BTW, a small percentage of people notice the "globe effect" (or "rolling ball") when panning with the super flat field of the SVs, so try before you buy.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/distortion.html

I noticed it pretty strongly when I originally used SVs, but the last few times I haven't noticed it at all. The brain adapts it seems.
I noticed this in the store while looking at things very close, but I have never seen it while in the open.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I would take the SLC's everytime! I do get the globe affect very badly. But even if I didn't it would still be the SLC's. Put the extra money towards a kick ass spotter or other hunting needs.

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I would take the SLC's everytime! I do get the globe affect very badly. But even if I didn't it would still be the SLC's. Put the extra money towards a kick ass spotter or other hunting needs.
That right there, is the biggest argument that can be made.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
There is a 1% percent difference in light transmission, not even perceptable to the human eye. So while you are correct that they do better in low light, it would probably take a machine to actually show a difference.

There is more dioptemetric correction in the EL (more range of focus for the right eye) and better eye relief. SLCs also use cheaper eye pieces.

Color fidelity is important in hunting too, since deer/elk aren't colored orange or yellow it's important to be able to pick them out against similarly colored surroundings.

As I stated, you would be happy with either.

However, aside from the miniscule 1% difference in light transmission, don't let anyone fool you into thinking the SLC is in anyway superior to the EL SV

I wasn't referring to brightness in my post, I was referring to an increase in low light CONTRAST which helps precisely with picking out animals from similarly colored backgrounds. That is why Swarovski emphasized the trait in their binoculars aimed at hunters.

I am certainly not trying to "fool" anyone. I am relaying what Swarovski reps have told me personally, and sharing my own experience. I wouldn't fault any hunter for preferring the SLC to the EL or vice-versa. They certainly wouldn't be a fool, and it is definitley a matter of personal preference.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice for you here Kody in a very short time. I have 8.5 x 42 EL and 8 x 32 EL SV. I almost always reach for the 8 x 32s these days. Light, compact, great light gathering in low light conditions. The best advice I can give you is to try them out yourself in low light conditions (even cheap manufacturers look pretty good in bright light). Analyze the specs of the different models and then look through each side by side.