Swaro STX vs BTX

SuperBoot

FNG
Sorry if this is a redundant post, but had a couple questions on this that I haven’t seen addressed elsewhere.

I’m looking to upgrade from my current Swaro STS-65 into the modular spotter series, but I’m waffling big time between the BTX and the STX eyepieces.

Primary use will be spotting/RO’ing at matches and just shooting in general out to 2-2.5k. I already have a pair of EL Range 10’s that I use for scanning, etc so the spotter serves a different purpose.

I’m not really a dude that glasses stationary a lot hunting-wise so that’s not a huge selling point for me. I have gotten into digiscoping with my current spotter though and would like to keep doing that with the new one.

What say ye? Is the fixed power BTX a hindrance over the ability to zoom with an STX? I do plan on using a mag extender but dunno if that will be more of an ass pain than it’s worth.
I find myself sticking my current spotter on 25 and leaving it there the majority of the time, but being able to dial things up if I have to is a pretty good option to have.

Thanks in advance.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
From what you describe I think the STX will fit your needs much better.

From my experience, the BTX excels at “glassing” big country; think 15x56 ELs on steroids.

For zooming in on an animal to count horn rings or tines the single eyepiece is a much better tool. I also find digiscoping with the BTX much more difficult than with my ATX.

Dejhavu

FNG
I have used my btx for sheep, goats and spotting matches. For me I get much less eye strain than with a conventional spotter. The fixed power has been a non issue for me. I love it, and have spent many looong days behind mine.
Also, in good light and on fresh paint, I was able to see impacts @1400 yds.

MtnMuley

WKR
For your application I'd vote the STX. Shouldn't have any eye fatigue with either, can adjust power if needed, and will be much better for digiscoping.

OP
SuperBoot

SuperBoot

FNG

From my experience, the BTX excels at “glassing” big country; think 15x56 ELs on steroids.

For zooming in on an animal to count horn rings or tines the single eyepiece is a much better tool. I also find digiscoping with the BTX much more difficult than with my ATX.
I’m leaning STX now myself. I think the big thing I’m concerned about leaving on the table at this point is comfort more than anything, and I haven’t ever really been uncomfortable behind my STS with the wide angle eyepiece on it. Maybe I’m just psyching myself out.
Out of curiosity what do you use to digiscope with a BTX? I’ve been using the swaro VPA with their ATS/STS adapter.
For your application I'd vote the STX. Shouldn't have any eye fatigue with either, can adjust power if needed, and will be much better for digiscoping.
Yeah, I’ve never had an issue with my current optic fatigue wise. The big thing I was looking forward to in the new one is swarovision since I got it in my EL’s. Does anyone know if the BTX has swarovision like the STX/ATX? I can’t find any info on it one way or the other

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I use a Phoneskope to digiscope. The adapter for one of the BTX eyepiece is the same as the 8x32 EL. You would think you could digiscope out of one side of the eyepiece and look thru the other but it is not as easy as it sounds.

OP
SuperBoot

SuperBoot

FNG
I use a Phoneskope to digiscope. The adapter for one of the BTX eyepiece is the same as the 8x32 EL. You would think you could digiscope out of one side of the eyepiece and look thru the other but it is not as easy as it sounds.

Gotcha. Is it a problem just because of the extra weight and nuisance of the phone, or something optically about just looking through one eyepiece?
I’m pretty much 100% in the STX camp now, but curious for down the road.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s just funky for me looking thru one eyepiece. I’ve not given it a fair shake as when I have the BTX , I also have the ATX and I’m so comfortable with that to digiscope with and have the zoom I just switch out.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I agree with Steve

OP
SuperBoot

SuperBoot

FNG
It’s just funky for me looking thru one eyepiece. I’ve not given it a fair shake as when I have the BTX , I also have the ATX and I’m so comfortable with that to digiscope with and have the zoom I just switch out.
Gotcha, yeah that makes sense.
Appreciate the help fellas, now just gotta see about getting this STS down the road and getting an STX eyepiece ordered. I’m pretty excited. Thanks!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425