Swaro Stolen from Tent

TXCO

WKR
Thats awful and just confirms my fears. Its so sad. Im really sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
That really sucks. Just don’t lose your faith in people, especially backcountry hunters. 99% of us aren’t colassal douche-bags, let alone criminals. A true backcountry hunter would help you pack your deer and camp out in one trip. As for these guys, I hope ticks nest in their pubic hair, they get exceptionally painful hemorrhoids, and and they are stupid enough to be caught on Instaface. #BackcountryAssHats. I once again find myself pleased not to be member of the Facebook and Instagram and Tweeter and Snapchat and Vine and whatever else there is.

yhc

WKR
Chasewind

If you have the serial number you might let Swarovski Optik folks know your spotter is stolen. Just in case it gets sent in later to them for a repair/warranty service.

Regards,

Well that's a bummer to read. I would have thought my stuff was safe too. Who steals a sleeping bag?

I like the idea of reporting the serial number to Swaro in case it ever gets sent in for repair. I need to start recording all the serial numbers of my gear, I am notoriously lazy about that.

Gutshotem

WKR
That really sucks man, sorry to hear it.

I'd keep an eye on their instagram account if I were you. Try to use that to get into their twitter and FB account as well. I don't use social media but it seems like a lot of the people who do, post pics of damn near everything. People who are trying to promote themselves probably even more so. Maybe you'll see pics of your scope or bag and can go from there.

This should be a reminder to everyone else. Next time you open up the safe, take pics of everything valuable with a serial #. If something is stolen or lost in a fire, it will help immensely.

OP
chasewild

chasewild

WKR
Damn, that blew up over night.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not on instagram, but I'm monitoring these guys accounts closely. We shall see.

Either way, if something comes up, I'll make sure the crew over at T_S_.D get their hands on it.

Mark

WKR
Damn, that blew up over night.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not on instagram, but I'm monitoring these guys accounts closely. We shall see.

Either way, if something comes up, I'll make sure the crew over at T_S_.D get their hands on it.

You should share their information here. There are likely members here that may know them or their social circle. Not saying they did anything wrong, but if more people are aware of what to look for the trail could lead to a thief.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
You should share their information here. There are likely members here that may know them or their social circle. Not saying they did anything wrong, but if more people are aware of what to look for the trail could lead to a thief.

I agree.

Playing the faith in humanity side..........maybe they saw someone in the area you didn't and may have more information. I find it hard to believe someone is dumb enough to share their social media stuff, know they are more than likely the only other ones around and would be easy to blame/contact/catch (while trying to make a name for themselves) and steal someone's stuff that is expensive enough to cause issues.

But hey.... people do dumb stuff everyday.

CorbLand

WKR

From experience this is not a bad route to go. I had all of my duck hunting stuff stolen in December. I found out who did it because I told a guy I work with, who mentioned it to his son, who lives an hour away, who had a friend tell him that a kid they use to hunt with has been stealing decoys. Unfortunately, the cops here blow and screwed it all up and let the kid walk.

davsco

WKR
Now that’s a rotten story. The swaro hurts the pocket book, but the sleeping bag, man that could have been so much worse. You have to be some kind of low to take someone food shelter or water 5 miles back.

yeah the scope is bad, but possible life-dependent stuff is way worse. sorry you got really burned.

archp625

WKR
Its everywhere. In NW Missouri we have Waterfowl areas that you have to get there super early to draw a pill to have the opportunity to hunt. So many times do I hear that someones decoys or gear got stolen out of the back of their truck. The worse part about it is its someone in the same room as you claiming they are a hunter. Really pisses me off. I now try and park as close to the building as i can with as much light. It will only stop an honest thief.

jspradley

WKR
Oh man thats effed... ugh.

Did you get their IG screen name? I bet if you report the spotter stolen and lay low for a bit they'll start posting pics of their "new swaro", have a friend follow them so they dont think you are onto them.

Jimbob

WKR
Not to make light of your situation at all but now you get to play detective.

Option 1 - you think the IG guys did it. You don't let them know your on to them and you pour over their social media. Find out what gear they used before, probably pics and or video. Then watch to see if your new stuff shows up in their hands. Downside of this is it may take months and if they didn't do it then its all a waste of time.

Option 2 - you reach out to them and ask them if they saw anything. You are assuming they didn't do it and they might have some info of someone they saw. Downside of this is that they did it and now you let them know the jig is up and there is no way they would be stupid enough to use/show your gear. You could find out what sites they are on though and watch if it comes up for sale online.

I would probably opt for option 2. Naturally I am going to trust a guy I just talked with and I wouldn't want to waste time when it could be someone else. I would make sure to have their names and still watch all media (facebook has lots of buy n sell groups, find out which ones they belong to) to see if the stuff comes up for sale. The police might want to talk with these guys as well.

Anyways, I feel bad for you and hope you get your stuff back.

man i got pissed off just reading this.... i hate thieves.
i do like Jimbob's post though. There is a chance it was not the instagram hunters. In fact, it would have been pretty foolish of them knowing they had contact with you already and would be suspect number 1. I would guess you never see your scope again. It will end up in a pawn shop or sold on craigslist. That seems to be the way it goes. Hopefully a bear eats whoever stole it.

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
Not uncommon at trailheads and campgrounds, but in the backcountry this is definetly bad news. Can you give us a general location where this happened? I know of guys that place trail cameras on their base camps, maybe a small lightweight option (if there is one) for the backcountry.

aron

WKR
If you have the serial numbers, call Swarovski and report the spotter to them as well. Its possible these guys will sell it quick and may just get lucky someone will call to register it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tracker12

WKR

Bad deal all around but I'm not a fan of throwing names out accusing someone without some evidence. From what I read here all they are guilty of at this point is being on the same mountain.