Swaro ATX vs ATS worth the extra cost?

Looking at getting a spotter and had been focused on the ATX 65MM but was recently looking at prices and was debating on going with the ATS for a significant price drop.

Prices I am seeing are
ATX - 65 MM - $3479
ATS - 20-60x65 - $2298
for a difference of $1181 pre tax. If I went the ATS route I would look into upgrading one of my rifle scopes with the left over money.
Main uses would be elk hunting and looking at deer from my house.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

WMag338

WKR
I have the ATS 25-50x65. Never tried the ATX. I have been very pleased with it. Very clear. I got this one to use backpack hunting so I wanted something light and compact as possible with still having some horsepower behind it.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments.
The ATS is great (I agree, the 25-50 eyepiece would be the way to go)
The ATX, IF you'll go with a larger objective tube at some point, makes more sense. If that's not a thought than to ATS is a good choice

svivian

WKR
No get the ATS with the 25-50 eyepiece if you are buying only one spotting scope. If you plan to have a larger truck/range spotter and a smaller 65 backcountry spotter then go with the ATX.

for context I have used both the ATS and ATX side by side on multiple hunts.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just had an ATS and ATX side-by-side last week and on these particular scopes, the ATS resolved better than the ATX. Aside from that particular tests of those two sample scopes, the ATX is not worth the increased cost (or weight) to me...especially if you don't plan on investing the modularity options of the ATX. I am 100% happy with my 65mm ATS (25-50w) as a do-it-all scope.

Wheels

WKR
Someone posted an ATS with 25-50 eyepiece for a good price in the optics classifieds.

fatrascal

WKR
I've owned the ATS and now owne the ATX. I love the modularity of the ATX system being able to change out to the BTX or a bigger ATX scope but if you are not interested in the modularity of the ATX then I suggest buying the ATS. Fatrascal.

OP
WiscoHoundsman
I went with the ATX. It came today and all I can say is wow. Pretty amazing glass compared to the vortex spotter that I had looked through once last fall. Now to look into covers for it.

ZWA

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any discernible difference in eye relief between the two? I am a glasses wearer and this is one of the first post I have seen giving a few nods to the ATS.
Thanks

For others who are looking…

ATS: if you don’t need or want the modularity.

ATX: if you need or want the modularity.

Kowa 77x: if you want the best bang for the buck.

Kowa 88x: if you want the best at the price point.

Not much size nor weight difference excluding the ATS (similar size but lighter).

Shop around including calling sponsors including Doug with Camera Land.

Super tag

WKR
I have both scopes and don’t see any reason to go up in cost unless your doing the swapping, ATS is plenty good in my opinion, honestly not enough difference to justify the cost.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Since we're discussing the ATS/STS scopes, it is worth the extra $600-$700 to get the STS80 over the STS65? That's a lot of extra boot for what appears to be a minimal gain.