Swaro 15 vs 12

dashj7

FNG
I need some help weighing out options between the swaro 15 vs the 12's. I will be using them off of a tripod as a spotting scope primary. I wasnt sure if giving up the field of view was worth the 3x mag?

Set up close range
10 for spotting
15 for judging

Set up longer range
15 for spotting
80 for judging

??? Let me know your thoughts please

dotman

WKR
I would go with 8's over 10's if your going to use 15's. Jmo but the extra field of view helps slow your glassing movement down and the 2x isn't a huge diff. I use my eyes to move thru the view of my binos and only move the binos when I want to see a different aerea.

I bought a pair of the 12's when they first came out a few years ago to use as my primary binos. I wasn't set up for tripod glassing yet and quickly realized they were too much for free handing. I sold them after about 6 months and stuck with my 10x42 el's. Then a year later I sent in my 10's and had a stud put on them and started tripod glassing, what a change. Wish I had been using a tripod with binos long ago. Now I just purchased a new pair of the 15's when Swarovski put out the new version and use them on a tripod. Incredible tool. I do feel like I'm giving up some field of view at times, especially when I switch back and forth with my 10's. Kind of wish I still had my 12's to see how they are on the tripod. I really think it's a preference on the 12's and 15's, not sure that the magnification is the deciding factor. Just a few thoughts from me!

WRO

WKR
Just get the el12s and an stx/atx series in an 85 or 95.

I did some extensive side by side testing of the el12s/15slchd and 80 sts the 85 stx. The stx is on a whole different level than the sts, we had them both available to use side by side for a week. The sts never left the truck after day 2, even with it bring 6 or 8 Oz lighter.

The 12s and 15s was a little more subjective, I preferred the 12s because they do detail better than the 15s and I preferred the wider fov. If you're chasing elk it doesn't matter, but with bedded mule deer, the 12s definitely had the edge.

aggieland

WKR
That really makes it a tough decision.. I have an older swaro range finder 8x that i carry on me on every hunt and I was planning on carrying the 15x instead of the spotter. But the 12el's are the way to go a?

Also let me say this, I bowhunt and don't really "count points", it's mostly glass and find the game. Is he big? Yes. ok, lets go after him. So I don't really need the big power of a spotter most of the time. Although I do use an older vortex that works well up to 40x. But typically I find that 20x is plenty.. Ugh I will have to drive 2 hrs to even compare these two binos..

Shrek

WKR
I had the pleasure of using some 12x50 ELs this year on a tripod and they are amazing. Handled veiling haze really well and I could see the difference between bulls at 1800+ yards despite the smoke and veiling haze. We couldn't get a range at 1600ish yards but I could see it clear. As for the spotters the ATX 85 is in a whole different league than my ATS 80 HD. As soon as I can squeeze enough blood from my turnip self I'll have an ATX 85. I haven't tried the 15's but the ELs use much better technology.

aggieland

WKR
I had the pleasure of using some 12x50 ELs this year on a tripod and they are amazing. Handled veiling haze really well and I could see the difference between bulls at 1800+ yards despite the smoke and veiling haze. We couldn't get a range at 1600ish yards but I could see it clear. As for the spotters the ATX 85 is in a whole different league than my ATS 80 HD. As soon as I can squeeze enough blood from my turnip self I'll have an ATX 85. I haven't tried the 15's but the ELs use much better technology.

Man, I was mentally sold on the New 15's but you guys are really swaying my way of thinking.

aggieland

WKR
. What he said.

My buddy just go the hd 15s before our deer hunt last week. At first light opening morning he looked through his then look through my 12s. He was bummed out the rest of the trip.

I want to hear more about your experience between the two.. Did it matter any having 3 power less over the 15's?

neverquit

WKR
With The crisp color definition and razor sharp edge to edge clarity I've never noticed the 3 less power. I have compared the old 15 the new 15 and 12s side by side by side a few diferant times. And there no comparison. The new 15 are nice but they looked washed out in all light conditions by comparison. The 12x50els are optically perfect. I glass more bedded coues deer with my 12 than my buddy's with 15 due to the extrem clarity. I've had plent of people explain to me why there brand x is "just about as good" That just means they have never looked through a set of el's

My advice Would be not to buy any thing until you look thru them both ....side by side. Ideally in the field.

fingers

FNG
I haven't tested extensively but I own the 10x42 el's and the 15x56 slc hd's and my Dad owns the 12x50els. I've set them side by side on tripods. I love the color transmission and ability to cut through haze that the el's have but..the 15's are noticeably brighter. Not sure on the precise view of antler tines but they are brighter and plenty sharp. And I have 10x42el's so I'm plenty picky. I love the swarovision field flattener lenses but the 15x56s' rock on a tripod. Another comment,.... binos' never replace spotters.. not at these power levels. If you really need to see antlers a spotter can't be beat. Having said that, looking through bino's is just way more fun and comfortable.

neverquit

WKR
Ugh I will have to drive 2 hrs to even compare these two binos..

Make the drive. Give them both a honest look then go with your gut. You'll never look back with regret because you checked both.

Rokslide is big community you may find a few guys in your area will to meet up and compare. I would if you were near Phoenix.

WRO

WKR
It's funny, you compare the 15x56slchds to any other 15s and they're heads and shoulders above the competition, heck 99% of the glass out there.

The 12s just do color and detail better. There's no appreciable difference between in light transmission (90 vs 91%). You won't really notice it in the store, it'll only show in the field. That being said, it's not like the 15s suck.

bates

WKR
Question for the guys running 12's are these your primarily binos your carrying or are you also carrying 10's ?