Swaro 10x42 EL vs EL Range

pewpew

FNG
I'm looking at some new bino's and have narrowed it down to the Swaro 10x42 EL's or EL Range. For those of you that have tried both, do you prefer the range-finding binos over a separate range finder and binocular? I mostly do rifle hunting but do some archery in the early season.

Thanks

I'm looking at some new bino's and have narrowed it down to the Swaro 10x42 EL's or EL Range. For those of you that have tried both, do you prefer the range-finding binos over a separate range finder and binocular? I mostly do rifle hunting but do some archery in the early season.

Thanks
For rifle hunters I would go EL Range's. It is sweet to have both in the same build. Its one less thing you have to keep track of in the field and with the El Range's you get a great rangefinder thats good from 33-1500 yds and Swarovski glass in the same peace. The only reason not to is if you are a bow hunter because the min distance is 33 yards. I have run the el ranges on a few hunts and love them.

I have el range and love them, but like another person posted 33 yards min. So when I’m bow hunting I don’t worry about it for me judging 30 yards isn’t too hard. My vote el range..

The biggest thing with EL Range that I think largely goes untalked about or rarely mentioned... the rangefinding button is on the left hand side of the binocular. Deal breaker for me in regards to archery... ranging and holding my bow all at the same time is basically impossible.

All i know is they dont have the same swarovision lenses as the regular el’s. I was considering a pair until i found that out.

Listen to Jordan Budd’s podcast with Matt C on home page. Very informative. Suggestion is that swaro will come out with an improved version at some point. Good luck! I sold el range and went with the Leica ballistic range bino for a lot of reasons mentioned.

Those ELs will last you 15+ years and be just as good as anything on the market.

LRF just another piece of electronics to potentially break, become outdated, etc.

I don't have the swaros, but have the Kahles RF binos, they range down to 9 or 11yds.
Not sold on the for bowhunting, yet, more bulky to get in and out of the harness while up close.
Also noticed the right eye is a lot darker than the left, it is also the same side that displays the RF reading, which must have something to do with it.
Will probably sell them and go back to a separate bino and RF at a later date.

I went through this also and decided on a dedicated RF. My reasoning was the technology in the RF will change sooner than I'd be willing to upgrade glass. Plus the glass is supposedly better and I like having them separate.

This is the only reason I haven't taken the plunge for a bino/rf all in one unit. I've seen most all of them, and cannot get over the fact that my 10x50SV's are optically superior to all of them, including the Leica's. It's hard to go down in glass when you get used to top notch optics.

I've had both and understand the EL SV is a touch better optically, but the EL Range is real close.
In the end I couldn't use the EL Ranges because I am right eye dominant and I had issues seeing the yardage readout. My older geovid HD-R are the ones I use when it's time to hunt, very close optically to the SV's and I do like having the built in RF.

I've had the EL 10x42 plain jane for years. A couple months ago I purchased EL 10x42 Range and have been out using them this season. I just had to try the ranging binos.

Even though it is GREAT to do both glassing and ranging at the same time, I've decided to put my EL 10x42 Ranges up for sale due to all the reasons mentioned above; 1) 33 yd minimum; so I still need a rangefinder for archery, 2) separate rangefinders will have more and improving functions, 3) EL glass is a little better - even though the difference is small, why not use the best I can afford 4) the Ranges are heavier and bulkier than the plain janes. 5) money; granted the money difference is not large when you compare the combined cost of binos and ranger, but I will likely want to justify upgrading my rangefinder without having to get all new glasses. I'd rather put the money into better glass.

Hunting is so hard!! So many decisions!

Last edited:
Back