Swaro 10x/12x or Maven 10x/12X & 18X?

Good evening Roksliders,

I've looking to graduate from my $200 10x binos. I got a Vortex UHD spotter last fall and saw 100X the elk of previous seasons, probably 500x honestly. My eyes get fatigued glassing for long periods of time and the cheap 10X don't have the clarity and/or zoom that I'd like.

I have poor long distance vision (can't recognize someone I know a block away). I should wear my contacts when hunting but sometimes I just wear glasses. I live in the Western US and mainly rifle deer, elk, and bear hunt. The spotter's ability to see game at >1 mile and see if there's legal game has been a total game changer. I have a tripod but also freehand off knees often. Leaning towards 12x versus 10x to see further out there with my likely declining long dist vision. But I may rent Maven 10x, 12x & 18x to get a better understanding.

If I'm willing to spend ~$2500 on optics, will I regret the quality difference between Swaro 10x/12x and Maven B6 12x50s? With the savings I'd purchase Maven 18x for truck scouting and long distance glassing.

Thanks much.

Last edited:
I would be going with Swaro 100% If you have the money for them then buy them. If not then buy the Mavens and wish you bought the swaros in the future. Yes the Mavens there is not too much of a difference in glass quality. I have had all the brands before. Buy sell and trade a bunch and always end up back at Swaro no matter how much I dont want to.

I have a set of Mavens and I’m quite possibly in the minority here but I have never told myself I’d rather have the Swaros. I have looked through and used Swaros, and I do have a Swaro spotting scope, but the Mavens are more than good enough glass for any type of hunt I’ll ever go on. I don’t think by upgrading to the Swaro binos I’d spot anymore game than I do now.

Lando

WKR
In late-January, I had the opportunity to put my Maven 18x on a tripod next to my friend's 15x SLCs. SLCs were brighter, colors were crisper and a lot clearer on the edges. No way I would buy the Mavens over the 15x SLCs if I only needed 15x.

I also compared my Meopta Meostars 12x50 to my friend's Swaro 12s and again the Swaros were a bit better, but the gap was a lot narrower than it was between the Maven and SLCs.

OP
R
I'm pretty confident this test is not the end all. But in a sporting good store over the weekend I tested swaro NL vs vortex HD and UHD. I had clearer vision of the vortex HD at 100 yards stack of paper than the NL. I need to test them at a mile outdoors, but the Swaro were noticeably less clear for my eyes in the store. Need to try some Meostars

Beendare

WKR
Splitting hairs in those upper end binos.

You need to try those 12’s handholding them. My younger guide buddy loves them…I like 10x better- but I’m older.

I chose the Meopro 15x over the 15xSwaro in side by side testing. …but generally I’m a Swaro fan.

Fwiw, Doug at Cameraland has never steered me wrong. I have not seen the GPO’s

I had maven 11x and 18x at the same time with a gen 1 razor. I loved the 11x/18x combo but i sold them all and bought 12x swaros and a kowa 774 spotter and am happy i did. The maven setup was fantastic but it is a lot of stuff to carry. And that led me to ditching the spotter frequently. The 12x for me feel like a happy place in the middle for my preferences

rcook10

WKR
Lifelong western hunter here with maven bs in 18x which I love. You gotta ask yourself if that extra 1-2% gain in performance is worth a 100% increase in price. I have looked through many different high power binos in the field (swarovski, vortex uhd, leicas etc) at this point and mavens are a SWEET spot in price and function. I’d rather spend that extra 1000$ on bullets, primers, and powder. High power binos get more mileage on my hunts than my 10x or spotter.

Matt G.

WKR
I would look at both. Only your eyes will tell you. If you are ok with maven, you can get more then one optic....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would not be ruling out the Zeiss Victory 10x42 from any Binocular decision. The Ergonomics and ease of focus have them in any discussion about the best Binoculars in the world. I find them a lot more enjoyable than even the Swaro NL Pure.

As far as 10x, 12x or 18s. 18x are meant for a tripod so if you don't plan on using a tripod the answer is 10x or 12x

www.happyantelope.com

With $2500 to spend: Even with a 1x binocular solution the NLs are out of the picture and SW choices are either an EL 10x42 or 10/12x50, Just like Happy Antelope I’d personally prefer a Zeiss SF 10x42 over an EL. To me a 12x glass is much like a universal car part - a bit too much for most to handhold, and not as nice as a big 15x for tripod work.

If going with a 2x binocular solution I’d recommend a 10x and a 15x. There are many quality candidates for the 10x - Maven, Zeiss Conquest, etc. For the big truck or dedicated tripod glass a 15x56 would be my choice over the 18s. I recently had both the B5 15&18x56 side-by-side and to me the 15s definitely offered better image quality - a bit sharper and a bit less CA. Since they are the same optical design I just attribute it to the increase in magnification. Although the image appears closer everything is magnified and more obvious including image imperfections. Every optic has a sweet-spot here, and with the B5 18x appears just a step too far. 15s are better IMO.

In the long-run, would most guys regret choosing a 2x mid-grade solution over 1x EL? If asked that question 10 years ago my answer would have been yes. However, over the past decade the performance gap has definitely diminished quite a bit. Alphas still offer a smidge sharper and easier view in a more refined device. For sheep hunting they are the obvious choice. But having both 10x and 15x mid-grades are very nice and useful pieces of kit.

sndmn11

WKR
I had the last/latest version of SLCs in a 10x and loved them. After having them in the field next to Maven's b1.2, I sold the SLCs and use the Mavens.

If someone offered me some NLs, I'd trade, but I don't think that will happen.

I also had 18x b5s for a couple seasons, and preferred a spotting scope even though they were very nice noculars.

Blackbird

FNG
A couple days ago a buddy and I put 12x swaro EL’s, meopta B1 plus, and a pair of Zeiss all side by side on tripods. All binoculars seemed to have areas where they out performed the others and I think a lot would come down to your personal preference between them. If you have the opportunity look through multiple pairs in the field and make a decision based on your personal preference that would be the way to go.

Huntin_GI

WKR
I had the last/latest version of SLCs in a 10x and loved them. After having them in the field next to Maven's b1.2, I sold the SLCs and use the Mavens.

If someone offered me some NLs, I'd trade, but I don't think that will happen.

I also had 18x b5s for a couple seasons, and preferred a spotting scope even though they were very nice noculars.
Just ordered the Athlon Cronus Spotter and to pair with my Maven B2 11x45. This comment warmed my soul lol