Swapping bullets

My dimwitted coworker bought 2 boxes of Aguila 308 win 150 gr fmjbt at an auction. He thought he got a good deal until I told that he can't hunt with fmj. Doesn't meet sstate requirements. So now he wants me to pull the fmj bullet and swap them with 150 gr Speer round nose. He will provide the bullets and give me 150 pieces of once fired 308 brass. He never looks for accuracy. As long as he hits a plate at 50 yds, he is happy. He still thinks round nose bullets bust brush better. I looked at Aguila specs and they list velocity at 2760. I pulled 1 bullet and weighed the charge. 40 grains of their powder.
Would you just swap the bullets or drop the charge a grain or two or walk away?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Pull the FMJ bullets, throw away the powder re-work the brass and load a charge for the150 Speers out of the Speer loading manual using a stated powder and with similar velocity. These are apparently .308s so a mid-range load should not be hard to find. You are basically re-loading ammo this way. I would never second guess charge weights from an un-know powder. As Axlrod said it only has down sides for you any other way.

amassi

WKR
Swap the bullets, resize the neck and seat the round nose
It’s reverse Mexican match ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell the individual to open up his damn wallet and buy two boxes of Remington Cor-Lokt from "Gman Sporting" for for $21.35 a box. He can keep the FMJ for practice.

If the individual still insists, he needs to sign a waiver releasing you from all liabilities and also pay full labor costs (at least minimum wage in your state).

Vern400

WKR
Don't load for anyone if you have anything to lose. Think about it. By definition he wants something for nothing. RUN

SloppyJ

WKR
You're a nicer friend than I. I barely have time to reload the stuff I need. Let alone stuff for a "buddy" who bought cheap FMJs and wants to hunt with them.

I guess you're getting 150 pieces of brass out of the deal? Unless is top end brass I wouldn't mess with it. From your story, I'm doubting that.

sdupontjr

WKR
Tell the individual to open up his damn wallet and buy two boxes of Remington Cor-Lokt from "Gman Sporting" for for $21.35 a box. He can keep the FMJ for practice.

If the individual still insists, he needs to sign a waiver releasing you from all liabilities and also pay full labor costs (at least minimum wage in your state).
exactly, or even some federal blue box Power Shok 150's from Walmart if 50 yards is the range. The kids shot these and coreloks out to 200 yards with no problem in their 308's.

Rich M

WKR
I agree that the fmj would be good target ammo.

Pulling bullets, resizing, etc. time consuming.

MThuntr

WKR
walk away
ammo is too cheap (even at current overinflated prices) to risk damaging a rifle or worse his face. Some Federal Blue Box or Remington Core-lokts will make short work of most animals.

Also dimwitted seems like an understatement so I'd avoid that guy basically as much as possible.

MattB

WKR
Don’t out-dimwit your co-worker. Tell his cheap ass to buy a box of 20 rounds that are legal and use the ones he already bought for target practice.

That would be a big no from me. Why not just buy a box of cheap federals or something....

You've already spent more time thinking about this than its worth. Either run away or restart the guy at factory settings to relearn shooting/hunting basics if you're obligated to play nice.

BCsteve

WKR
If you had said he bought a case, I might try to find a work around to use them up to save the components but for two boxes.....