SW CO Elk so far

Mmcan

WKR
71/711 Spent 2 days on a special
Permit area, meaning there’s basically zero hunting pressure here. Traditionally a very coveted lottery spot to get bc there’s usually a lot of opportunities to take an elk. Didn’t see a single elk or deer, didn’t hear anything but birds and a couple of coyotes. Didn’t even see any on the road driving in around 5am and out in the evening. Nothing. Moon phase? Too warm? I’ve never seen it this dead in this area of CO. And I’ve only seen one set of antlers in the back of a truck going back to town. I hope y’all are having better luck so far.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Bugling and coming in around where I live. Classic opening weekend, answering calls but not going nuts.
IMG_2211.jpeg

gman82001

WKR
71/711 Spent 2 days on a special
Permit area, meaning there’s basically zero hunting pressure here. Traditionally a very coveted lottery spot to get bc there’s usually a lot of opportunities to take an elk. Didn’t see a single elk or deer, didn’t hear anything but birds and a couple of coyotes. Didn’t even see any on the road driving in around 5am and out in the evening. Nothing. Moon phase? Too warm? I’ve never seen it this dead in this area of CO. And I’ve only seen one set of antlers in the back of a truck going back to town. I hope y’all are having better luck so far.
Not to be a dick it just sounds like you’re not in the right spot yet. Is there actual sign when you get out hiking away from the roads? If not keep moving and hiking till you find fresh sign

Weldor

WKR
No bugling at all? They are hitting it pretty good in N Az.

JrCaps

FNG
Set up camp during Labor Day weekend down in a unit bordering the Weminuouche. We left after 5 days as we saw no fresh elk signs, or heard a single bugle after hiking over 10 miles throughout the area in treelines and dark timber. Elevation ranged from 11,500-12,200 ft with temps hitting 72 during the day and 39 and night.

Saw dozens of deer, but not a single elk except for a bull we saw on the highway after coming down from the mountain on a private farm.

Marble

WKR
Not to be a dick it just sounds like you’re not in the right spot yet. Is there actual sign when you get out hiking away from the roads? If not keep moving and hiking till you find fresh sign
This is what I was thinking.

If I don't see anything really fresh in an area I head to the drainage.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk