Survival kit

It weighs about 28 lbs without including water or food. Add a few extra pounds for my bow. If I can't survive with the items in my pack and a tag in my pocket, then I have bigger issues :)

BuckSnort

WKR
My kit weighs 12oz and consists of a Ziplock quart sized freezer bag with the following:

Fire starters for 4 fires
Matches
Lighter
Whistle
20' of small nylon cord
Some Duct Tape
Pain killers
Gauze
Imodium
Aspirin
Medical tape

This kit doubles as my first aid kit as well...

Some super glue added to bucksnort's kit and that would be about all you need. His list is pretty solid.

swat8888

WKR
I bring a thing of quick clot, and have a small tourniquet...only bring it if weight isn't a huge issue. Couple alcohol swabs or small hand sanitizer sometimes goes along in addition to the rest.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bring a sharp mind that way I try to avoid any problems. Aside from that I have a 4oz first aid kit and know that many of my normal items like a belt, 550 cord, duct tape, etc., would do triple duty in survival mode.

garrenj

FNG
In addition to the normal items, I pack about half a roll of vet wrap. It's great for keeping moleskin on. If needed it would really help with bandages or splints.

Survival Kit=

Bic lighter
Emergency blanket
Tylenol
Benadryl
Duct tape
Visine
Mirror-in case I get something in my eye or need to check my "do" LOL
Tarp

weight= less than 1lb

Mike

My survival kit rides in two gallon-sized zip lock bags that go in the cargo pockets of my pants so that it is always with me…as long as I’m wearing my pants that is. In designing it I focused on the basics of survival, just enough to get me through an unexpected night or two in the woods and to signal the folks who are looking for me. I planned on having what I needed if I was hurt or otherwise not able to get around a lot. With this kit I can make shelter for the night, signal rescuers, stay warm, deal with medical problems, and stay hydrated. I don’t know how much it weighs and don’t really care as it is what I need and nothing more. I also try to be redundant between the bags for some key items in case I lose one of the bags; pockets do tend to tear open at the worst possible times.

Zip-lock #1:
Shelter – 1 x foil space blanket with an orange side and a silver side (the orange side is easier for aircraft to see, the silver just looks like water from the air), duct tape wrapped around an old credit card so it lays flatter than on a pencil
Fire – strike anywhere matches, a small Bic lighter, firestarters like cotton balls and Vaseline or Esbit tablets. I also tend to collect old bird’s nests that I see during the day to use as kindling.
Signaling – whistle, signal mirror
Water – aqua mira tablets, a two-quart or gallon water reservoir like the ones used for box wine or boxes of coffee (you can drink out of them much easier than a baggie and they don’t take up as much space or weight as a hydration reservoir)
First Aid – Immodium, pain killers, anti-histamine, a broad spectrum antibiotic like a z-pak if my Dr. will prescribe it and it’s a trip far from civilization, any personal medication I am taking, super glue for little cuts, duct tape for big cuts and wrapping splints/etc.

Zip-lock #2:
Tools, Miscellaneous – small compass (to use with a map of the area that is always on my person), small flashlight of some sort, small multitool, 50’ of paracord. I always have a multi-tool and flashlight on my belt as well and my watch has a compass/altimeter/thermometer in it.
Shelter – 2 x leaf size trash bags in this bag in case the other one with the space blanket is lost, etc.
Food – a couple of trail bars du jour, mainly to keep morale up
Fire – a fire steel and striker, some other kind of firestarters

I keep a small bag of "essential" gear in my pack year round, not just hunting. I used to carry it in a ziplock bag, but constantly had problems with durability, so switched to a small sil-nylon sack. The exact contents may vary slightly by season, but in general this is what it contains:

• 2 extra AA batteries (lithium)
• LED Headlamp
• Small First Aid Kit
• Waterproof Matches
• Lighter
• Flint
• Firestarter
• 550 Cord – 25 Ft
• Signal Mirror
• Compass
• Iodine Tablets
• 1 oz bottle bug dope
• 1 oz bottle soap
•eyeglass cloth
• havlon knife
• small tube fabric glue + nylon fabric patch.
• emergency bivy sack
• partial roll electrical tape

It usually comes in around 16-17 oz as I recall. It's takes up less space than a nalgene and I've used that kit more times than I can count.

Yk

bowinhand

WKR
My survival/first aid kit is
fire starter: bic lighter, cotton and petrol jelly, and fire steel
Duct tape: small handy roll of gorilla tape
Gauze Pads
foil emergency blanket: silver n' orange
vitamin I (Ibuprofen) and some allergy antihistamine tabs
one big and one small safety pin
one single use eye drops
roll of waxed dental floss
spare arrow knock
30ft of cordage
2mm thick painters tarp
compass w/mirror

every thing fits in a quart freezer bag but thinking about getting a kifaru pull out for better durability.
Interesting to see that some of us use similar items.

hunthard

FNG
fire steel, fire starter, iodine tabs, compass, bandages, blood clotter, space blanket, emergency poncho couple safety pins and a knife on my person.