Suppressor/trust questions

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Giving some thought to a can for my 22 and maybe for my 7mm. Buying through a trust seems a no-brainer.

My kids, however, aren't huge shooters so I think towards the future and what responsibilities I would be passing down.

I understand the trust and how I could designate them as trustees and how the trust would outlive me.

After I'm gone, however, the trust remains, right? So, as trustees, they or my wife would have to deal with disposal/transfer of these NFA items.

Giving some thought to a can for my 22 and maybe for my 7mm. Buying through a trust seems a no-brainer.

My kids, however, aren't huge shooters so I think towards the future and what responsibilities I would be passing down.

I understand the trust and how I could designate them as trustees and how the trust would outlive me.

After I'm gone, however, the trust remains, right? So, as trustees, they or my wife would have to deal with disposal/transfer of these NFA items.
Yes

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Trust avoids probate. If an individual owns it, the ATF has required probate so someone with legal authority can transfer it.

Either you name a trustee as the one with authority before you die or a court does after you die.

While you are alive in a trust, you can let friends and others use NFA items. And, you can change trustees and beneficiaries if you want to give it to someone else when you die.

Basically, a trust gives you lots of options while you are alive or when dead.

You might not want any of the options now, but what if something changes? It will cost you money later.

ruger35

FNG

Even as individual if you were to die you get a free transfer to any eligible individual of age. The ATF doesn't just come and take your suppressor when you die. I have cans both as individuals and in a trust.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Trust avoids probate. If an individual owns it, the ATF has required probate so someone with legal authority can transfer it.

Either you name a trustee as the one with authority before you die or a court does after you die.

While you are alive in a trust, you can let friends and others use NFA items. And, you can change trustees and beneficiaries if you want to give it to someone else when you die.

Basically, a trust gives you lots of options while you are alive or when dead.

You might not want any of the options now, but what if something changes? It will cost you money later.
The trust part is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I will need to have spme conversations with them