Suppressor Opinion: Meh, It’s Ok

OP
General RE LEE
Another annoyance that I didn't know until after owning a single can for a year is you really need to own multiple cans.

Swapping a single can between multiple rifles can be an issue if you have kids or are going to loan your rifle to a partner.

If I take my boys hunting, we are going to run three rifles. I will have to find time to adjust the zero on 2 of them because they are all zero'd with the can installed. It's easier to just run rifles without the can except the one you plan to use the can all the time. In my case its a single shot 300 Blackout shooting subs.

None of this is an issue if you own multiple cans, but if you own one can, it's best to pick a rifle and stick with it.

Another annoyance that I didn't know until after owning a single can for a year is you really need to own multiple cans.

Swapping a single can between multiple rifles can be an issue if you have kids or are going to loan your rifle to a partner.

If I take my boys hunting, we are going to run three rifles. I will have to find time to adjust the zero on 2 of them because they are all zero'd with the can installed. It's easier to just run rifles without the can except the one you plan to use the can all the time. In my case its a single shot 300 Blackout shooting subs.

None of this is an issue if you own multiple cans, but if you own one can, it's best to pick a rifle and stick with it.
I'll agree with you there. Good thing is that wait times are short and the market has lots of cheap cans now. My kids won't hunt without suppressors (except turkeys, unless someone comes out with a 410 suppressor).

WKR

The zero with/without should be pretty consistent. Just zero it once both ways and note the difference, or put a sticker on the dial.

WKR
I'm the OP and the content in this thread is hilarious but,

I'm going to the range this week to check zero on my 20" barrel Tikka UPR and 20" Tikka CTR. I've been shooting them with the can in the off season but they are lighter and more compact/maneuverable without the can. The weight of the rifles also manage recoil well. I can always wear hearing pro hunting.

For hunting, light/compact/maneuverable/optimal ballistic performance is what I'm after. Cutting barrels back to 16-18" just to run a can isn't what I'm after.
If you want to wear ear pro over a can, that's a personal preference and not something I can argue with.

But the type of white tail hunting I do, ear pro isn't an option. I can't imagine digging out warm ear plugs, rolling and inserting them before they get cold, and reaching over the top of my head to pull my ear up with my off hand to get them in correctly. I definitely can't see putting muffs on. No way a deer is hanging around for all that movement.

Guys that use the foam plugs on the plastic loop, there's no way you're getting more than 15db reduction, much less than a can gives. Those cold hard foam things might make you feel better, but you're still playing with hearing damage.

But if you hunt in a way that you can properly use ear pro, i.e., it's warm, you have time, the animal can't see you, then it makes a ton of sense. It's a nonstarter for me.

To each their own.

ID_Matt

WKR

It took a year for you to figure out that putting weight on the end of your barrel affects zero and it isn't practical to swap 1 muzzle device between 3 different hunters rifles while hunting? Come on..... this is almost as silly as saying it's an annoyance that you have to buy a scope for each gun because you want to use all 3 at a time and it is inconvenient to have to zero it for each gun.

OP
General RE LEE
It took a year for you to figure out that putting weight on the end of your barrel affects zero and it isn't practical to swap 1 muzzle device between 3 different hunters rifles while hunting? Come on..... this is almost as silly as saying it's an annoyance that you have to buy a scope for each gun because you want to use all 3 at a time and it is inconvenient to have to zero it for each gun.

Maybe owning a can isnt the end all be all of hunting game with a firearm and yes, that opinion can change over time.

OP
General RE LEE
If you want to wear ear pro over a can, that's a personal preference and not something I can argue with.

But the type of white tail hunting I do, ear pro isn't an option. I can't imagine digging out warm ear plugs, rolling and inserting them before they get cold, and reaching over the top of my head to pull my ear up with my off hand to get them in correctly. I definitely can't see putting muffs on. No way a deer is hanging around for all that movement.

Guys that use the foam plugs on the plastic loop, there's no way you're getting more than 15db reduction, much less than a can gives. Those cold hard foam things might make you feel better, but you're still playing with hearing damage.

But if you hunt in a way that you can properly use ear pro, i.e., it's warm, you have time, the animal can't see you, then it makes a ton of sense. It's a nonstarter for me.

To each their own.

I agree, although I'm 44 and dip 1.5 cans a day and could stand to lose some weight. I've got bigger fish to fry in regards to my overall health profile than discharging a non braked firearm a couple times a year with no hearing protection.

WKR
I agree, although I'm 44 and dip 1.5 cans a day and could stand to lose some weight. I've got bigger fish to fry in regards to my overall health profile than discharging a non braked firearm a couple times a year with no hearing protection.
I get that, but there's no reason to flirt with adding 24-7 ringing on top of other things.

As long as you are aware that can happen, and it sucks because you only have yourself to blame, then you're making an informed choice at least. I just post that stuff for someone who might be reading that doesn't know that there is a limit of what you can sustain damage wise, then it's too late. That everyone has a number of unprotected shots they can handle before the ringing never stops, and you won't know what it is till you've passed it.

Marshfly

WKR
How does 2-4" less of barrel make it not desirable to hunt with?
Gotta burn 100% of the powder man.

I find the reluctance to cut barrels hilarious. I have a 270 that I cut to 17.5" (oh the horror) that still makes 1800 FPS past 650 yards with the factory Berger 140 Hybrid Hunters. 2670FPS Muzzle Velocity. The section of barrel I cut off weighs almost the same as my Silencerco Scythe. So the rifle feels exactly the same.

6ARC cut to 17.75." That dude starts out at only 2550FPS but still holds expansion velocity for the ELDM out to 600 yards at my hunting elevations.

Some people either can't do math or run a ballistic calculator or simply bought the wrong cartridge rifle and refuse to admit it.

Gotta burn 100% of the powder man.

I find the reluctance to cut barrels hilarious. I have a 270 that I cut to 17.5" (oh the horror) that still makes 1800 FPS past 650 yards with the factory Berger 140 Hybrid Hunters. 2670FPS Muzzle Velocity. The section of barrel I cut off weighs almost the same as my Silencerco Scythe. So the rifle feels exactly the same.

6ARC cut to 17.75." That dude starts out at only 2550FPS but still holds expansion velocity for the ELDM out to 600 yards at my hunting elevations.

Some people either can't do math or run a ballistic calculator or simply bought the wrong cartridge rifle and refuse to admit it.
It is hilarious especially for people not hunting out west (or really anybody cause 4/600 yards is a long shot).

I have an 16" 308 AR10 that shoots factory 168gr ELD match at 2500 fps. That gives me ~450yards of terminal range to work with which is plenty. If I actually hunted with that rifle I would just load some 168 TMKs and not worry terribly much if I wanted to take a shot at 600 (other than my ability to do so).

Also equating hearing damage to being overweight and dipping is also hilarious. I'd rather be fat and have dentures in my old age but be able to hear my grandkids than any version of being deaf. Doesn't help that I have a son that's deaf and a wife that is half deaf.

atmat

WKR
It is hilarious especially for people not hunting out west (or really anybody cause 4/600 yards is a long shot).

I have an 16" 308 AR10 that shoots factory 168gr ELD match at 2500 fps. That gives me ~450yards of terminal range to work with which is plenty. If I actually hunted with that rifle I would just load some 168 TMKs and not worry terribly much if I wanted to take a shot at 600 (other than my ability to do so).

Also equating hearing damage to being overweight and dipping is also hilarious. I'd rather be fat and have dentures in my old age but be able to hear my grandkids than any version of being deaf. Doesn't help that I have a son that's deaf and a wife that is half deaf.
People have made all these arguments 1+ year ago. OP just likes to rehash them.

I actually live and hunt out west and run 16” barrels. I’ve still got more terminal range than I can shoot to.

People have made all these arguments 1+ year ago. OP just likes to rehash them.

I actually live and hunt out west and run 16” barrels. I’ve still got more terminal range than I can shoot to.
Yeah for some reason I avoided the dumpster fire last year. Guess work is just too slow today so I took the bait.