Suppressor legality question

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
About a month ago I had open heart surgery, and after a few conversations/arguments with my surgeon, we decided I will do a little hunting this fall. I’ve sacrificed most of my hunts, but I do have a couple antelope tags and an Idaho deer tag.

His concern is shooting a rifle too soon while my sternum is still healing. My first hunt is six weeks after surgery, and I assured him I have a very low recoil rifle. My best option is my 6.5 creedmore with a suppressor. Without going overboard with research, does anyone know the legalities of hunting big game in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana with a suppressed rifle?

pew

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not a lawyer, but to my understanding you have to ask two questions:
1. Can I hunt with a suppressor
AND
2. Can I cross state lines with my suppressor, and if so, do I need to notify anyone of this (and who)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericF

WKR
I’m not a lawyer, but to my understanding you have to ask two questions:
1. Can I hunt with a suppressor
AND
2. Can I cross state lines with my suppressor, and if so, do I need to notify anyone of this (and who)?

As to question 2, supressors are not regulated like SBRs (short barreled rifles) in that aspect. Anytime you take an SBR out of state you must have a "permission slip" from the ATF on where you are taking it. There is no federal notification requirement for supressors. I am also unaware of any states that require notification for suppressors.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, thanks for the clarification...as one coming from a free state going to a free state, I was told by my local class 3 dealer that I was to notify, in writing, the governor of the state I was going to go into of my intent and do so with enough time for him to reply “no” if he didn’t want me to bring it. Said such was a formality that the gov generally ignored, but something I was still required to do. I thought it was too much hassle and I know I’m too pretty for prison so I just hunted with ear pro instead.

Spoonbill

WKR
Ok, thanks for the clarification...as one coming from a free state going to a free state, I was told by my local class 3 dealer that I was to notify, in writing, the governor of the state I was going to go into of my intent and do so with enough time for him to reply “no” if he didn’t want me to bring it. Said such was a formality that the gov generally ignored, but something I was still required to do. I thought it was too much hassle and I know I’m too pretty for prison so I just hunted with ear pro instead.

I believe you need to notify the atf if you intend to “keep” your suppressor in another state. I am not familiar with the law so i would check with an attorney who handles these things. Not saying your Class 3 dealer doesn’t know the law but you will have better legal protections if an attorney was wrong. Not all law enforcement officers know the law with suppressors either, so it will help to be able to show them the relevant statutes.

Reactions: pew
There are a few states where suppressors are unlawful, my home state of Illinois being one of them. ATF needs to bless you before you cross through here with one. There are a few others and I recommend doing a little work beforehand so it doesn’t turn into a lot of work later.

def90

WKR

you cantake your suppressor with you anywhere that they are legal.

if you have an SBR and want to take it outside the state you have to file a form with the ATF. There is no requirement to send a letter or notify a governor of any kind.

Have you worked up a light load for you 6.5 cm? I would go all copper with less powder. Also add weight to the rifle, shouldn’t recoil much off a lead sled 😀. Good luck

Last edited:

92xj

WKR
Did you tell your surgeon you hold your gun on your shoulder and not your sternum? My surgeon doesn't have any concern with right handed shooting. His concern is lifting, pulling, falling and crawling to bust that chest bone. Though I did buy a 410 this year for waterfowl season. Not because I was told to but because I go through 2 cases of shells and don't want to get beat up by the 12 ga. I will also be right hunting with a 270 and 300 for deer season in Oct and Nov. My open heart surgery was on August 17... I currently still hurt some but get to start cardiac rehab this coming week. During that, the doc says they will be able to tell what I can and shouldn't do in the weeks to come while hunting.

Chipz

FNG

Your dealer sounds like a moron.

There is no required duty to inform the ATF or any agency of another state that you are traveling through. This is only true for SBRs, not suppressors.
You only need to take note of which states do not allow suppressors and avoid them like the plague.

Reactions: pew