Suppressor covers getting wet

I've got a suppressor cover made from carbon felt wrapped in coban. My hunt in October could have snow/rain. It's usually 50/50 as to weather I'll get some inclement weather.

Well, with this suppressor cover.... If it rains or wet snows I'm thinking it's going to get water logged and maybe freeze and then change poi on me due to the weight difference.

Anyone dealt with that potential issue? I guess I could just rubber band a Ziploc on it if it starts raining....

**** I am not worried about mirage while hunting. That is not the purpose of me wanting to keep it on while I hunt. It's my first suppressor and it being an 8 oz titanium can, it seems that it could get smashed pretty easily if I take a fall in a boulder field. I'm not worried about getting any scratches or small dents, but denting it so badly that it affects function . That and deadening the sound of branches hitting it when hiking through the woods is my primary concern.

Last edited:

jimh406

WKR
I think any ice/snow that would stick on a cover would also get on the suppressor without cover. Maybe more since the metal would probably hold the cold a bit better.

However, I don't hunt in rain/snow any more. I have a lot of time to hunt and don't enjoy the cleanup of the wet gear.

TxLite

WKR
True, but I mainly want it on for protection. I don't really want to put a huge dent in a $1000 can if I fall or drop it.
Your call. I find them unnecessary unless I’m expecting a bunch of mirage. I think it would have to be a pretty good tumble to dent it

If you’re going to leave it on then I’d take it to the range and soak it with water and see if POI changes. Just for peace of mind

OP
H
Your call. I find them unnecessary unless I’m expecting a bunch of mirage. I think it would have to be a pretty good tumble to dent it

If you’re going to leave it on then I’d take it to the range and soak it with water and see if POI changes. Just for peace of mind

Yea maybe it would be ok without it. After selling a couple of items to purchase it, I'm just not wanting to take any chances and I backpack hunt with a heavy pack and traverse boulder fields.... So I wouldn't be surprised if I fell and banged it up.

However, I'm only in that stuff maybe 10% of the time and I'm sure I'd probably treat it like hiking with my bow where if I fall I'm conscious to protect my weapon.

I'll be doing an all day hike/shoot tomorrow, so I'll test out getting it wet.

Weird to me that people even use covers. I guess I can see the mirage problem for a heavy range day. Aside from that they're just not that fragile and I wanna put a balloon over the front anyway.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You are probably right about it getting water logged and changing POI. Heck even bone dry mine seem to change my POI vs not using them at all. If I know I’m going to be in and out of my boat, I’ll get zeroed with the cover on and hunt with it. Otherwise I don’t use them.

If I really think there’s a possibility of dinging things up, I’ll just use my beater banish 30 and leave the good ones at home.

The Guide

WKR
Take it off and keep it in your pack until you are ready to hunt. It takes all of 30 seconds to remove a thread protector and screw on a suppressor. When hiking, a suppressor can make the gun barrel heavy and wonky to carry unless you've got an 16 to 18 inch barrel so do some pre hunt hikes with you suppressor threaded on if you plan to leave it on the gun the entire time. I'm 6'6" and hit enough brush with my barrel without adding the length of my suppressor. Your mileage may vary based on how you hunt.

Jay

Fire_9

WKR
I laugh every time I see someone with a cover on while hunting. Leave it at home. It will serve no purpose for your hunt

EdP

WKR
I thought the covers were to reduce mirage from the heat of multiple shots. As others said, no need for one in a hunting scenario. If you are really worried about dents put on a neoprene cover and do the rubber band/plastic bag thing.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I leave it on, I get hate getting the metallic hollow sound when brush, limbs etc. hit the can when I’m going through the jungle of N ID. I will have to check for a POI shift once it’s wet and frozen as I didn’t think about that.

OP
H
Lots of different options!! It seems we need a drop test to see how durable the scythe suppressor is

I laugh every time I see someone with a cover on while hunting. Leave it at home. It will serve no purpose for your hunt
Yea Ive used them for coyote hunting before. Might have to take multiple shots in one sitting and don’t want mirage from the can. Also they camo up the suppressor. Takes away the bright shine that suppressors can give up.

Big game hunting they aren’t needed as much.

jhm2023

WKR
Seeing as suppressor covers are for mitigating mirage and burns to you and your gear after enough shots to get the can that hot, I'd say you suck at hunting if you need a cover. Obviously, some types of predator hunting can have higher volumes of fire though. Stick a small piece of electrical tape on the end to keep stuff out while hiking and go forth and kill shit. Besides, if it gets dinged up, thats ok. Rifles that are actually used by people that actually get after it and do real hunts will have plenty of character marks and wear anyway.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Us covered folk laugh and tell jokes about you shiny canned heathens and the audacity to not adorn a proper linen!

For real though, as mentioned it deadens the hollow sound, protects from scratches, camouflages, some have covers to keep debris out, etc. Definitely can serve a purpose.

Seeing as suppressor covers are for mitigating mirage and burns to you and your gear after enough shots to get the can that hot, I'd say you suck at hunting if you need a cover. Obviously, some types of predator hunting can have higher volumes of fire though. Stick a small piece of electrical tape on the end to keep stuff out while hiking and go forth and kill shit.
Is that camouflage you're wearing in your avatar pic? :unsure:

Seeing as suppressor covers are for mitigating mirage and burns to you and your gear after enough shots to get the can that hot, I'd say you suck at hunting if you need a cover.
How hot do you think a muffler gets burning 95+ grains of powder per shot? Hot enough to create significant mirage after one shot. Guess I suck at hunting if I can't kill everything every time with one shot.