Suppressor and long barrels.

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some advice about a suppressor and some longer barreled hunting rifles. I have a DeadAir Nomad Ti that should be out of jail in a couple months and I want to use it for hunting. I am a weatherby guy and have a 300 win mag mark v accumark (26in) 7mm weatherby mag mark v hunter (26in) and a 7mm 08 mark v hunter (22in). These are my hunting rifles. I hunt elk and muleys up to 400 yards and like to use copper bullets. I worry about the long barrels of the magnums and the thin barrel and length of the 7mm 08. I have thought about getting some shorter barrels but I am wondering on what lengths to get and what company to go with. I have only found carbonsix/bartlein that has prefit barrels for the mark v. Any input or experience here would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone raves about short barrels with suppressor. I got my suppressor after already having rifles. So I’m sticking with the barrels I have. My two rifles have carbon proof barrels. So I can’t cut them down. So I’m not gonna buy a new carbon barrel for $1000 just to have it be shorter. So I’m kind of stuck where I am. Maybe if I ever shoot out my barrels I’ll go shorter. But right now I have a 26” and 24” barrel that I run suppressor on. With that said So far haven’t had any issues with long barrels and suppressor setups. I Carry the rifle in a gun bearer or my other rifle has a folding stock and folding it up makes it smaller.

One thing about short barrels is they are louder. Longer barrels are quieter and faster.

Last edited:
Looking for some advice about a suppressor and some longer barreled hunting rifles. I have a DeadAir Nomad Ti that should be out of jail in a couple months and I want to use it for hunting. I am a weatherby guy and have a 300 win mag mark v accumark (26in) 7mm weatherby mag mark v hunter (26in) and a 7mm 08 mark v hunter (22in). These are my hunting rifles. I hunt elk and muleys up to 400 yards and like to use copper bullets. I worry about the long barrels of the magnums and the thin barrel and length of the 7mm 08. I have thought about getting some shorter barrels but I am wondering on what lengths to get and what company to go with. I have only found carbonsix/bartlein that has prefit barrels for the mark v. Any input or experience here would be greatly appreciated.
I personally couldn't stand suppressors on my barrels over 22".
I definitely wouldn't recommend spending $1000 on a carbon barrel either, get ahold of McGowen Barrel and ask them about 20-22" #4 contours.
You'll want .730 at the muzzle for 5/8×24 threads.

TxLite

WKR
I agree with the statement above regarding 22” being the longest I personally find comfortable with a suppressor.

On a side note- I did a barrel/stock swap on a mkv and if I’m honest I wish I had sold the mkv and got a Tikka or custom action + prefit. The mkv is a nice action and the rifle turned out great, but for what I have into it I could’ve had a full custom with more aftermarket availability.

My 2 cents.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I personally couldn't stand suppressors on my barrels over 22".
I definitely wouldn't recommend spending $1000 on a carbon barrel either, get ahold of McGowen Barrel and ask them about 20-22" #4 contours.
You'll want .730 at the muzzle for 5/8×24 threads.
I looked into that and then read the thread here about McGowen and not sure I trust that company.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i had my 24" tikka 7 mag threaded so i could run a suppressor on it. i didn't want to chop it down because it was nicely accurate. sure it's long. it's even more accurate now. and the deer and elk i shot offhand at 50 yards are dead. YMMV

finner

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nomad L and a Nomad Ti that I use on two Proofs with 24" barrels. It has not been a problem for me hunting Western Montana for elk and muleys. I wouldn't want to take either into the jungle, but for what I do there's no disadvantage that bugs me or makes me want to spend a couple thousand on rebarrels

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nomad L and a Nomad Ti that I use on two Proofs with 24" barrels. It has not been a problem for me hunting Western Montana for elk and muleys. I wouldn't want to take either into the jungle, but for what I do there's no disadvantage that bugs me or makes me want to spend a couple thousand on rebarrels
That’s good to know. I hunt western Wyoming so I really like hearing that.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!
My suppressor is still in jail. Two of my 30 cal are 22”, but I do have one @ 26” that I am somewhat reluctant to cut.

I looked into that and then read the thread here about McGowen and not sure I trust that company.
They're solid barrels, I've used them all and McGowens shoot.
Preferred Barrel on the other hand has been hit or miss for me, I've owned two that wouldn't shoot 2 moa.

brockel

WKR
I use a kifaru gunbearer. A 20” barrel before suppressor is about all I’ll deal with anymore. Anything longer gets in the way of my headlamp in the dark too much. If you don’t hike in the dark much it probably won’t bother you

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I use a kifaru gunbearer. A 20” barrel before suppressor is about all I’ll deal with anymore. Anything longer gets in the way of my headlamp in the dark too much. If you don’t hike in the dark much it probably won’t bother you
I do hike some in the dark but I use a stone glacier quick release that keeps the rifle on my side pretty good so that shouldn’t be an issue.

If your current barrels are not fluted, have them chopped down and threaded with a collar by Kampfeld, Shean Rifles, or one of the other smiths that are doing that. I did that with a factory Tikka lite contour barrel and it works great.
Cost is around $150 and you don't have to mess with getting a new barrel.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
If your current barrels are not fluted, have them chopped down and threaded with a collar by Kampfeld, Shean Rifles, or one of the other smiths that are doing that. I did that with a factory Tikka lite contour barrel and it works great.
Cost is around $150 and you don't have to mess with getting a new barrel.
How much is it to ship it to them?