Suppressor and long barrels.

Seeknelk

WKR
I use a kifaru gunbearer. A 20” barrel before suppressor is about all I’ll deal with anymore. Anything longer gets in the way of my headlamp in the dark too much. If you don’t hike in the dark much it probably won’t bother you
Try the Slik sling, puts barrel right behind shoulder. Can put gun back in without removing pack too. Anyway I like it, used a GB for 12-15 years before I tried Slik sling.

Sadler

WKR
Run em' for a season and see how you handle the extra length.

Honestly - even hunting dense north idaho mountains - my 26'' barreled SAUM with a 6.25'' TBAC Dominus isn't all too terrible!

You are a glutton for punishment sir. I had a 26” 300 PRC with a TBAC ultra 7 And used it for one season and now my longest barrel is 18” with the ultra 7 and 16” with the ultra 9

You are a glutton for punishment sir. I had a 26” 300 PRC with a TBAC ultra 7 And used it for one season and now my longest barrel is 18” with the ultra 7 and 16” with the ultra 9

I hear ya - we still have 16.5’s, 20’s, 22’s & 24’s with ultra 7’s magnus and 9’s.

They all serve a purpose 😃

Sadler

WKR
Yeah they do. If I shot long range more and competed I’d be all about longer barrels with more velocity but since I’m not, and have never killed anything past 400, I’m all about the shorties with suppressors.

Looking for some advice about a suppressor and some longer barreled hunting rifles. I have a DeadAir Nomad Ti that should be out of jail in a couple months and I want to use it for hunting. I am a weatherby guy and have a 300 win mag mark v accumark (26in) 7mm weatherby mag mark v hunter (26in) and a 7mm 08 mark v hunter (22in). These are my hunting rifles. I hunt elk and muleys up to 400 yards and like to use copper bullets. I worry about the long barrels of the magnums and the thin barrel and length of the 7mm 08. I have thought about getting some shorter barrels but I am wondering on what lengths to get and what company to go with. I have only found carbonsix/bartlein that has prefit barrels for the mark v. Any input or experience here would be greatly appreciated.
From personal experience, hunting with a 24" barrel and a suppressor sucks. I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's great to carry one around for hunting. They're awesome and fun, I love mine for shooting or hunting from a blind, but not for packing around. It changes the balance of your rifle so you can't hardly carry it on your shoulder and it's like having a freaking javelin or flagpole to carry. They change your POI as well, so it causes issues if you plan on packing it in and then putting it on. Your hunting calibers are still not hearing safe with a can. Just my .02

I'm sure there will be guys that disagree. I just carry ear plugs in the top of my bino harness and bring extra if I have someone with me.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Pros:

Long barrels and suppressor are noticeably quieter than short barrel and suppressor.
Extra weight reduces recoil vs. shorter barrels.
Less flame going into suppressor so less chance of flame cutting baffles and perhaps doesn't heat up as fast, but this last point is just a guess.

Cons:

Extra length makes carrying and packing w/suppressor attached difficult.
Extra weight up front makes doing offhand and other positional shooting difficult. Will need to do prone, sticks, tripod or shooting off a pack. Offhand shooting will be tiring and under hunting conditions likely to miss.

Basically, taking a long barrel and putting a 1+lb weight at the very end makes a long lever. Fine if you have something holding the foreend. Not great otherwise.

Personally, I relegate long barrel w/suppressor mainly to bipod use where I'll be camping on a ridge doing pest control and not moving around a lot on foot. Otherwise I keep barrels short when running suppressed.

Last edited:

H132495

FNG
I like a 20-22” barrel with my cans. Has anyone had any experience with spade composite barrels?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah they do. If I shot long range more and competed I’d be all about longer barrels with more velocity but since I’m not, and have never killed anything past 400, I’m all about the shorties with suppressors.
That’s where I’m at too. I havnt taken a shot past ~ 300yds at an animal for so long that I just don’t worry about it anymore.

My suppressor guns get cut to 18”. I’m having o e of my 375s cut to 19” from 24”.

Weldor

WKR
I've run 16, 18, 20, 22. I haven't a problem with those lengths., But at 22" plus 9" suppressor can be bothersome. Never had any accuracy problems, have shot them out past 600 yds. 6.5 prc, 308 . My biggest problem is finding a case long enough to accomodate rifle with supressor with 22" bbl.