Suppressor advice...one suppressor to rule them all? (at least for now)

Macintosh

WKR
i’m looking at getting a first suppressor. This would be both for the range and hunting. I’m wondering about the feasibility of getting one suppressor to do everything I do, at least for a while, until I can see if it makes sense to add to the stable or not. for a variety of reasons I’m not interested in looking at multiple suppressors right now, so please keep feedback focused on one suppressor to do everything, whether that is realistic or if I need to focus differently.

what suppressor should I be looking at for hunting mainly with a 270 but also some short action centerfire cartridges, as well as casual PRS type competitions...and I also shoot rimfire quite a bit and would like to have a suppressor for this. Is it feasible to use a centerfire can on a rimfire rifle, and what type of performance should I expect? I really know nothing about suppressors, but maintaining accuracy is a primary concern, as well as size and weight.

any feedback and suggestions welcome, thank you.

TheHammer

WKR
The tbac ultra 7 is highly toted in here. The nomad ti is another. I have an omega and two Griffin sportsman ultra300s. The omega is a pretty great can but it’s heavy. The griffins are a decent choice. Some will suggest a banish 30 n then others will hate on silencer central. Whatever you get make sure it’s titanium and serviceable.

Last edited:
OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
thanks guys. Please explain reasoning. could you give me a sense of what that means? How much cleaning with how much shooting, and what would be different with a rimfire can? Other than this what are the specific reasons not to shoot a rimfire through it, other than it”ll be bigger than needed? I see tbac says their 30cal can is good down to .223, so why not a smaller .22?

yes, I really can only get 1. That’s the operating assumption for the foreseeable future.

I can give you my experience. I currently have 9 different suppressors and another one in jail. I have been using them since 2014.
Lighter is always better, however the name of the game is volume. The larger the volume, the heavier the suppressor is (for the most part). For your first one, I would recommend one that is "in the middle". Somewhere between 10-15oz and 6-8" in length. Get a .30 cal can as you can use it all the way down to a .223. I also recommend direct thread. QD sounds good in theory, but in practice, it doesn't take much longer to thread a DT can on and muzzle devices just add weight and $$ to the equation.
Good ones to try are the Harvester EVO, TBAC Ultra 7, CGS Hyperion K, Nomad or Nomad Ti, Griffin Sportsman, Banish 30. Your budget and personal preference should help you decide.
I know that some will say that you should get one that is serviceable, but for a centerfire can that isn't really necessary. Yes, you will get some carbon buildup, but it isn't anything a trip to an ultrasonic cleaner won't fix (I use a cheap harbor freight one). And unless you are shooting 1000s of rounds a year, you probably won't even see a difference. I just weigh mine when I get them and then every once in a while. If I see 2-3 oz of difference it goes in the bath.

As for a rimfire can, due to the fact that you are shooting lubricated lead bullets rather than jacketed bullets, you will get lead deposits on your baffles. This requires a can that you can remove the baffles from to clean them regularly. That is why you need to have a dedicated rimfire can. Also, the volume necessary to suppress a .22LR is much less than necessary for a centerfire, so using a big can for rimfire is just not practical. A lot of places run deals where if you buy a centerfire can you get a rimfire can for free (just pay the tax stamp). That is how I got both of mine.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Thanks a ton, that is super helpful. Which places run a deal where you get a rimfire can for free? Im listening.

TheHammer

WKR
Thanks a ton, that is super helpful. Which places run a deal where you get a rimfire can for free? Im listening.
Silencer central ran a promo for the holidays of this.. I was hoping for a sale as I was interested in the banish backcountry for a lot of reasons. But their promo was buy a back country, 30 or 30gold get a banish 22 free. The whole situation and customer service Turned me off n I ordered 2 tbac ultra 5s direct.

Good suppressors aren't free and free suppressors aren't good. Buy from a company that doesn't have to give their products away to get people to use them.

It's a rimfire suppressor. If you can honestly tell the difference between most of them in regards to performance or ease of serviceability, I am all ears. Who would you recommend buying a rimfire suppressor from?

To the OP's question, Silencer Central, Silencer Co, and Silencer Shop all run deals quite often. You just have to keep checking.

JGRaider

WKR
Not much love for the YHM's around here. I have the Resonator and Resonator K. They are superb.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It seems like with rimfire silencers the top of the line ones aren’t much more expensive than the budget ones. I think a sparrow is like 300.00 while a mask 22 can be had for less than 450.00.

I have a TBAC 7 on the way and I have a banish 30 now but some of the newer silencers out now are really cool like the rugged alaskan Ti, Cgs Hyperion k etc.

I have a Rugged Radiant 30 cal, it's light made of titanium and it has a k config that is great for 223, no barrel length restictions. My dedicated 22 can is an Oculus. Very happy with both.

Unckebob

WKR
thanks guys. Please explain reasoning. could you give me a sense of what that means? How much cleaning with how much shooting, and what would be different with a rimfire can? Other than this what are the specific reasons not to shoot a rimfire through it, other than it”ll be bigger than needed? I see tbac says their 30cal can is good down to .223, so why not a smaller .22?

yes, I really can only get 1. That’s the operating assumption for the foreseeable future.

While you can run 22LR on your center fire can, it is a spectacularly bad idea.
  • 22LR ammo is very dirty coming out the end of the barrel. Over time, the ammo will load up your can with lead. Rimfire cans are designed to be cleaned. Many center fire cans are not user serviceable. Bottom line - you don't want that stuff in your expensive CF can. https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/how-to-clean-a-suppressor/
  • CF cans are bigger and heavier than a RF can to handle higher pressure rounds. On a RF pistol, they would be unusable. On a RF rifle, it would be like putting giant tires on a Honda accord

Last edited:
OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Are there good centerfire cans that tear down for cleaning? My .22 weighs 12lb already and I’d more weight to it in a heartbeat.
Im only half serious, but the weight/size doesnt bother me on that gun, and that $600 can buy a decent chunk of midas+