Suppressed vs Non-Suppressed Hunting

jreyna

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted with a suppressed setup the past three seasons, notching a tag each time thankfully. I've enjoyed the pros while enduring the cons of hunting suppressed.

I'm thinking about not running a suppressor this year to save on barrel length and about 14oz of weight. However, I'm trying to determine if the length and weight savings are worth the tradeoffs.

I'll be hunting from a remote airstrip with two other hunters in my party. There's a high likelihood that at least two of us will be looking at the same animals from the same position at the same time (opp for a synchronized shot). Also, I am not certain if the entire hunting area will be crowded or not (first time hunting the area) but I'm a believer that a suppressed rifle shot disturbs game less (seen it too often with my own eyes).

If you are weighing the decision run a suppressor on your hunt, what factors into your thought process in making your final decision?

Taudisio

WKR
There are only two negatives while hunting suppressed, the extra weight, and the extra length.

The negatives for hunting unsuppressed, ringing ears/permanent damage (I always forget ear pro in the moment), concussive blast, potentially spooking more game/game farther away, potentially blowing debris into my face.

The ringing ears is enough for me to suffer the weight. I have my hunting rifles short for more convenience while suppressed already. I have zero reasons to not hunt suppressed. I bought a lighter and less efficient one, and a heavier/more efficient one. A backpack/steep hunt is getting the lighter setup. When I only had the heavy one, it motivated me to make/buy a lighter option.

At 14oz I'd say you could get any number of lighter/shorter cans and probably still gain performance depending on the host gun. I chop/order all my barrels to 16-18" these days so the length isnt a big deal for me personally. I try to avoid shooting anything but my carry pistol unsuppressed these days

Tmac

WKR
Moving all my rifles to hunt suppressed. 16 to 18” barrels is the way I am dealing with the length. Two set up now, two more being cut and threaded should be ready soon. Want to protect my grands kids hearing so they don’t end up like me.

What about change in barrel harmonics for load? Been curious how or if this is a thing? On the fence myself for a can for a 300 rum that shoots lights out minimal recoil if any with a side baffel brake. Ear plugs are easy to deal with on a ridge top etc…

z987k

WKR
I won't even hunt with someone if they're not suppressed. Not worth my ears.

There's 6in, 6-7oz suppressors for hunting and there's really no reason not to have one if weight is the issue.

There's virtually no cartridge that cutting from 22 or 24 to 18 restricts you to hunting ranges almost anyone is able to accurately shoot at from a field position.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a suppressor for probably 15 years and I would not hunt without one. I have always ran shorter barrels for their handiness and currently I have switched to the over the barrel style of suppressor which balances the muzzle even more.

I use a modular direct thread can for hunting in a single baffle + end cap configuration. Helps with recoil and takes the sound from ear ringing to just loud. About 4.5" long and weighs 6oz. Perfect for a 16-20" bolt gun.

They aren't my favorite company (JK Armament), but as long as you know what you're getting you can buy one of their aluminum bodied suppressors and then they'll allow you to upgrade one (or more) baffles to titanium. So, I bought their aluminum VersaX 155 and upgraded the blast baffle and end cap to titanium to use as a micro hunting suppressor when not being used on other things in the aluminum configuration.

I have other suppressors that are full length, but for that occasional exposure having a cheap suppressor like the JK that you can configure into a micro size is pretty nice.

gf99-99

FNG
I won't even hunt with someone if they're not suppressed. Not worth my ears.

There's 6in, 6-7oz suppressors for hunting and there's really no reason not to have one if weight is the issue.

There's virtually no cartridge that cutting from 22 or 24 to 18 restricts you to hunting ranges almost anyone is able to accurately shoot at from a field position.
Could not agree more.

I have been window shopping the Alaskan 360 Ti for this exact reason. I think they claim it is something stupid like 5-6oz.

And with form 4 wait times now down to days (if you lucky) its hard not to justify it. Really the only negative I can think of is the credit card bill at the end of the month.

I'm not gonna bother on anything where I'm toting the rifle around. If it's a meat hunt down here where it's a short walk then sure but aside from that once my rifle goes bang my hunt is over anyway. Anybody I hunt with will be spaced out enough where it won't hurt their hunt.

z987k

WKR
Could not agree more.

I have been window shopping the Alaskan 360 Ti for this exact reason. I think they claim it is something stupid like 5-6oz.

And with form 4 wait times now down to days (if you lucky) its hard not to justify it. Really the only negative I can think of is the credit card bill at the end of the month.
One of my friends has one. It's nice. I'd recommend looking at the AB raptor 6 and the Sico Scythe as well.

z987k

WKR
14oz is less than a pound - this is far from an inconvienience to tote around.

The potential damage to your ears from forgettting ear pro is not worth the trade off.
And 14oz is a tank of a suppressor in the hunting world. I can't think of a hunting intended can that weighs that much.

And 14oz is a tank of a suppressor in the hunting world. I can't think of a hunting intended can that weighs that much.
Seriously. My CAT JL is a thicker walled mil spec overstock version that weighs 13ish oz and its an absolute unit lol. 10ish oz is the max I like to lug around with a 16" barrel

waspocrew

WKR
Always suppressed if I can. I don’t consider the weight or length a penalty at all. I have a 338 RUM with 30” barrel. It’s ridiculously long when I add my TBAC 338 Ultra, but the reduced blast from it is well worth it.