Suppressed 6 Cal recommendation for small framed shooter and spotting shots.

I'd stick to a 6cm or .243 if it were me for the extra velocity. The 6arc is cool but you're giving up horsepower for no reason.
everything is give and take and that would be easier but the reason for it is I’m hoping with the additional 20% reduction in recoil that she can get where she can spot her shots in a hunting weight rifle off a tripod more consistently. After reading enough post on here with smaller calibers I’m thinking the benefits of the lower recoil outweigh the extra fps between these two. Especially if it’s the difference between spotting your own shots. My current hunting rifle is a 6.5 prc but plan on dropping to the 6 creed in the furure for the same reasons.

everything is give and take and that would be easier but the reason for it is I’m hoping with the additional 20% reduction in recoil that she can get where she can spot her shots in a hunting weight rifle off a tripod more consistently. After reading enough post on here with smaller calibers I’m thinking the benefits of the lower recoil outweigh the extra fps between these two. Especially if it’s the difference between spotting your own shots. My current hunting rifle is a 6.5 prc but plan on dropping to the 6 creed in the furure for the same reasons.
Couldn’t agree more. I dropped my little sister to a 6x45 from her 260 and her shooting got incredible. She went back to a larger gun this year and killed a cow at 870 yards with a perfect shot.

I'd stick to a 6cm or .243 if it were me for the extra velocity. The 6arc is cool but you're giving up horsepower for no reason.

Pretty substantial difference in recoil between the two. I can feel the difference; my kids have a strong preference for the 6mm ARC. It carries plenty of velocity to silly-for-kids distance, so I see a 6CM as giving up shootability for no reason.

For a 100-120 lb shooter, it's very likely the difference between reliably seeing impacts vs not.

The biggest difference I see with the tiny 6mm and .22 rounds vs the slightly bigger ones is how much fun it is for small shooters. They end up shooting 20 or 30 times in a session instead of just 3 or 4 times with the .243 or .260 and wanting to go all the time vs once or twice before season. I wish my grandfather and uncle who taught me when I was young had that approach instead of the “bigger is better and shoot once or twice at a pie plate before season” approach. It definitely would have extended my range and decreased the bad shots in the field.

The biggest difference I see with the tiny 6mm and .22 rounds vs the slightly bigger ones is how much fun it is for small shooters. They end up shooting 20 or 30 times in a session instead of just 3 or 4 times with the .243 or .260 and wanting to go all the time vs once or twice before season. I wish my grandfather and uncle who taught me when I was young had that approach instead of the “bigger is better and shoot once or twice at a pie plate before season” approach. It definitely would have extended my range and decreased the bad shots in the field.
Yeah those are my thoughts also and what I’m trying to achieve.

Why not build a lightweight AR in 6mm ARC?

I’m that class of cartridge an AR is perfect, and lots of build in adjustments for a small framed shooter.

Howa Mini 6mm ARC

This is the answer for handloaders who use bolt gun data rather.

This is the gun I am building for my kids. I cut down my 6ARC target rifle barrel to 18" and put it in a light stock. Next up, swap out the rail for Talley Rings and mount a lightweight scope. The thread protector needs to be replaced with something slightly larger.

(If I was building from scratch, I would get the Howa mini in a heartbeat.)

IMG_0495.jpeg

Last edited:

I’m that class of cartridge an AR is perfect, and lots of build in adjustments for a small framed shooter.

Gas guns cannot safely generate the velocities that bolt guns can. The difference is about 2-300fps.

Last edited:
I put a MDT LSS on my mini for an adjustable LOP for my grands. Works well with an AR butt stock. I used a Magpul CTR to minimize wobble.
Do you happen to know the weight on it?

For everyone else, there's a big difference between an 70lb kid and an adult woman. I really don't think there's that much difference between the two in terms of recoil. From a quick Google search it seems only 2 to 3 ftlbs. However, if the 6arc meets your velocity requirements, I think it's hard to beat. I definitely want one to play with. Can't decide on bolt or AR just yet though.

Gas guns cannot safely generate the velocities that bolt guns can. The difference is about 2-300fps.
JP Bolt and good brass. No issues here. At hunting round counts, it will never be an issue.

Besides, isn’t all the factory available loaded at AR pressures anyways?

For everyone else, there's a big difference between an 70lb kid and an adult woman. I really don't think there's that much difference between the two in terms of recoil. From a quick Google search it seems only 2 to 3 ftlbs. However, if the 6arc meets your velocity requirements, I think it's hard to beat. I definitely want one to play with. Can't decide on bolt or AR just yet though.
7.9lbs vs 12.3lbs in a 6lb rifle with a 24 oz scope both shooting their factory 108 ELDM loads.

I’m that class of cartridge an AR is perfect, and lots of build in adjustments for a small framed

I already have a 6.5 grendel in an AR platform. Plus she shoots my bolt guns with light triggers more accurately. Trying to maintain 2700 MV with a 105-110 to give a 5-600 yard range at 2000fps depending on elevation. I would just rather have a bolt action for this one.

Another vote for the 6mm ARC. I have one in an AR platform a friend helped me build, and a howa mini I got a few weeks ago. I’m taking my wife and daughter out tomorrow to get it dialed in and get some practice in. I’ve been using my AR for a few months and love it. I’ve been shooting prairie dogs with it for practice, and it’s pretty fun to watch the impacts through the scope.

Edited to add:

My AR is not nearly as quiet as my howa is. But the bolt action howa is stupid stupid quiet with a suppressor. Which is great since my wife is planning to use it for predators and prairie dogs in our horse pasture to get comfortable with it. Horses don’t even look up when it touches off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I have is a moderately accurate dial scale I use for sausage making. So it would be an estimate at best. Are you asking about the entire firearm with scope? My mini is the 20” HB version in 6.5 Grendel. So it's not super light, but it is very handy, especially if you collapse the butt stock a bit.

Back