Suppressed .338 WM

Stonia

FNG
I went down that road a while ago with a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 338wm. I had an older Griffin Precision Hunter 338 can that I put on it. The whole lot came out to something like 12lbs and made the setup pretty unwieldy, and it was still pretty loud. Maybe a lightweight rifle and a moderns lightweight suppressor would be a winning combo, but mine never made it into the field.
484a6d42ae4612da0e044debcff48b4c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

I have a 21" 338 Sherman Mega and I am using a Rugged Alaskan can on it. It is still pretty loud when compared to my Dead Air Nomad on my 21" 300 WM, but it is more than enough recoil reduction and muzzle blast reduction for hunting purposes.

If you are looking for suppressor recommendations, the Rugged Alaskan, Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 338, the AB Raptor 8, and the SilencerCo Omega 36M (Short config) are all good suppressors in the less than 15 oz range. If you want to go a bit heavier (but probably get better suppression), the TBAC 338 Ultra, the Dead Air Nomax 33, and the YHM Bad Larry are good, but they are in the 17 oz range.

Ultimately, you have to decide if you want the best suppression or the least amount of weight. A short magnum cartridge is still going to be "loud" when compared to a long barreled standard cartridge using the same suppressor. Today's suppressors are much better than the ones from even 10 years ago, but you have to be realistic.

B23

WKR
I bought a SAS Vengeance from Mile High Shooting Accessories back when they had their big falling out with Suppressed Armament Suppressors a few years ago and its been a good 338 can. Not sure how it would compare to the newer TBAC Ultra 338 or Dead Air Nomax 338 cans which are probably two of the quietest 338 suppressors available.

The Banish 338 is probably one of the lighter 338 cans but it's also only a 1.5 dia can and pretty much all the other 338 cans are larger diameter but maybe in a 338 Win mag you don't really need that extra volume to quiet them down.

zdc1775

FNG
I've not suppressed a 338 WM personally, but I did get the opportunity recently to shoot my buddy's 375 Ruger that he has an 8" ECCO Accipiter 375 on and while it wasn't exactly quite it definitely tamed the recoil and made the blast bearable, I would say it was close to an unsuppressed 22lr, so maybe not quite hearing safe but not exactly horrible either.

And while this one was one of the stainless models which weighed right around 17-18 oz, I do know they offer a titanium version which is closer to 9 oz.

Rjk300

FNG
Thanks. Anybody using the Banish 338?

I’ve shot my 11# 338 Terminator with the Banish 46. It reduces the recoil enough I didn’t feel like it wasn’t punishing but not as much as the brake did. I also didn’t need ear protection but the nicest part was not feeling the muzzle blast of the brake. I still just shoot it with the brake though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a Rugged Alaskan Ti on my .338 WM (Ruger 77 All-Weather). Cut the barrel down to 18" and used direct thread.

Super happy with it. The weight of the suppress per/in is the same as the barrel I cut off, so no change in weight or handling. Only issue is the price on those Ti's is pretty wild. Bit of a splurge on that one.

I would likely NOT want to use one on a 22" barrel. For what most people use a .338 WM for, keeping the OAL reasonable is key.

Recoil was cut more than I thought it would be, and it made the gun much easier to shoot. Practice is no longer a bruising chore. The .338 WM only holds about 70 grs of powder, so it doesn't require the volume that the truly big magnums need.

IMG_8421.JPEG