supplements

marshrat

FNG
Was wondering what everyone is taking to keep them lean and mean? I am taking the following:

Glucosamine
Glutamine
Whey protein
CLA
Green Tea Extract
Ginsing
Multivitamin
BCAAs

I was thinking about adding a creatine supplement, as I have not been on one in a long while. I'm trying to build muscle and lose a lot of fat. If there is something that I can add or should add, let me know. Robby, I'm hoping you will chime in here.

BuckSnort

WKR
I am no health expert and am overweight so take this for what it's worth... The folks who are lean and mean are so from hard work (exercise) and eating clean.. Supplements for the most part are overrated IMO...

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Protein shake 2 a day
No fury pre workout drink (lifting days)
And a multi vitamin
Other than that I try really hard to eat non proccessed foods.

OP
M

marshrat

FNG
I'm probably going to scale back. I like the protein shakes, BCAAs, and CLA. The glucosamine and glutamine are for the joints which tend to hurt after the CrossFit. I try to take Ibuprofen sparingly.

sneek-ee

WKR
I am no health expert and am overweight so take this for what it's worth... The folks who are lean and mean are so from hard work (exercise) and eating clean.. Supplements for the most part are overrated IMO...

+1
The best thing a person can do, is zero in their diet and be consistent. it's not something that changes overnight, but it shouldn't be something that lasts 6 months or a year or a couple years. it takes time and its a lifestyle change. but if you want it to last...stay committed and be consistent.

OP
M

marshrat

FNG
I'm just using the supplements for where I believe that I have deficiencies in my diet that I can't get from food, especially the stuff for my aching joints. I don't use them as miracle pills or something to take that will allow me to sit around eating cheetos on the couch and doing absolutely nothing. I just use them in conjunction with what I'm doing.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being an old guy myself I look to a few supplements for joints as well.

I take glucosomine sulfate in powder form versus a hard pill, suppposed to be absorbed by the body better in this format
In addition I take a combination pill of chondroitin and glucomosime called pain free
Fish oil is also supposed to help joint related issues so I take one of these each day as well

Lastly, as with Lukem which made me rollover laughing, I take vitamin I in ample form when heading out for the day.

When I asked my orthopedic surgeon many years ago how glucosomone or choindroiten work, he could not provide a solid basis for an answer, other than it may help. I believe it does and my dosage may be overkill, but so be it.

a3dhunter

WKR
I take the following:
Vitamin C
Osteo Biflex- (glucosamine and chondrottin)
Potassium
Wilderness Athlete Multi Vitamin
Wilderness Athlete Lean Life

Previous to the WA stuff, was taking regular Multi Vitamin- One a Day. Haven't noticed a difference in the multi vitamin but the Lean Life seems to help with dropping weight.

Get rid of alcohol. Reduce percentage of calories of fat to around 20%. Get protein to 200 grams per day of protein (whey protein helps - but try to get it from beans, game meat, chicken and fish). Increase fiber intake to over 50 grams per day (Kellogs All Bran Buds help). Increase work outs to 6 days a week for 60-120 minutes per. Eat 4 cups of vegetables per day. Eat 6 times per day. Eat more calories than you think you need....little to now cheese. Go to WHOLE dairy.

Make this drink EVERY DAY......AND NEVER DRINK COFFEE AGAIN.
Juice of one big lemon
2 cups green tea
1 tsp agave nectar
3 TBS chia seeds
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Add water to make it 32 ounces

Let sit over night. Then bottoms up. Chia seeds are seriously amazing.

3 TBS has same omega 3 and 6 fatty acids as 6 fish oil pills. They are high in fiber. And they retain water in your gut longer.
Lemon promotes kidney health
Cinnamon promotes pancreas health
Cayenne pepper promotes metabolism
Green tea gives antioxidants and a little caffeine

Freaking amazing drink. My wife and I have one every single day.

Since jan 2012 I have gone from 15% body fat to 9.5%. Thats 26 pounds on the scale, 4.5 inches on the belly and a crap load more muscle. My wife has gone feo. 25% body fat to 22%. That's 13 pounds, and 4.5 inches in waist. Neither of us have clothes that fit.

Don't waist money on supplements. Add protein via powder to help get to 200 grams per day....which is a challenge. I have to get up at 3:00 am to drink water mixed with protein. I use American Pure Whey ISOLATE (less cholesterol vs Matrix).

Before this is spend 5 years not working out and drinking a lot and eating like crap.....and gaining weight.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take the following:

. Protein shake after my morning workout
. B12
. Fish oil (Don't eat a lot of seafood)
. Calcium (I don't drink milk so I take this instead)
. Zinc (docs orders)
. D3 (for all that sunshine we get in Western Washington)

B12 has made the most noticeable difference by far.