Supplements for Inflammation

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone implemented a supplement routine that they feel has helped battle inflammation? I have had a back issue that I cannot shake. I’m doing lots of work to get past it, but the littlest things seem to set my lower back (QL) on fire. I’ve read lots of good stuff on fish oil, and one of the chiros I have seen suggested magnesium.

Doesn’t have to be back pain related, but I am interested to hear if anyone else has found something that they feel has a real impact.

There are lot of issues that can contribute to back pain. Have you been evaluated by a Doc or PT? Just taking something for inflammation may not be the smart decision.

OP
B
There are lot of issues that can contribute to back pain. Have you been evaluated by a Doc or PT? Just taking something for inflammation may not be the smart decision.

Yes, of course. Didn’t mean to make it sound like I expected supplements to fix it. Was looking at it more as something I could do long term to help a bit. PT has actually fixed me up 90% since my original post. Looking at supplements as more long term maintenance on top of exercise etc.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, of course. Didn’t mean to make it sound like I expected supplements to fix it. Was looking at it more as something I could do long term to help a bit. PT has actually fixed me up 90% since my original post. Looking at supplements as more long term maintenance on top of exercise etc.
Okay, as others have mentioned, diet can contribute to inflammation, but that tends to be more of a whole-body inflammation and not a localized problem. Still, it's probably worth looking into. Diets are a whole other topic.
Everyone is different when it comes to what works. I would suggest you try one thing at a time and see if you get any relief before adding something else. Tumeric in liquid form seems to work for me, and high-quality (Hammer) CBD works for me. Be careful with some CBD as they can contain THC, which, if you are drug tested for work, you will test positive. I take a Hammers non-THC CBD, but I have found that I have to take a higher dosage to be effective. Arnica Montana works amazingly for me. Fish oil does not work for me.

Poser

WKR

Boswellia Extract, which has become one of the more consistently recommended supplements along with Tumeric, Fish Oil & Glucosamine or knee inflammation, apparently has shown some benefits for back pain as well. I take 600mg twice a day for knee arthritis. You'll find quite a bit of info online about it, for example: xhttps://www.reddit.com/r/TMJ/comments/1acpfi2/boswellia_has_been_effective_update/

Doing some traction work for your spine to "stretch" it out a bit allow synovial fluid to really get in there may be helpful. Common traction work include dead hangs and Reverse Hypers. I'm unsure about Glucosamine for the back specifically, but the idea with taking it for joint issues is to improve the quality of your synovial fluid over time. If traction indeed improves your spinal situation, then it would follow that higher quality synovial fluid may also help, but that's just speculation. There is no other way to get glucosamine other than taking it in supplement form.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Try reading "Change Your Diet, Change Your Mind" by Georgia Ede, MD. Although the title most of the book is related to mental health, she goes into detail about what foods are good (natural and meat based especially), and what isn't good for us (carbs, lots of plants, sugar and processed foods) - broadly speaking. Maybe try eliminating some foods before adding something else. (Example - based on some of her analysis, I'm going to eliminate dairy - other than hard cheeses or dairy with low lactose - and I love the $hit out of dairy and have never had a known problem.)

Eat better and you should be better - and stretching, yoga and other exercise is probably good - IMHO.

What I personally do not think works are supplements. I went down this rabbit hole more than once, and even for a time was using one of the more respective (and expensive) brands (Thorne) for daily supplements and paying a lot on a monthly basis. But I could not find a single scientific study that supports any of their claims (if there was such a study, wouldn't it be on the Thorne website - like the mythical shock tests of most scope manufacturers?). And the concept of "well it can't hurt" may not be true.

Even the fish oil health claims are largely unsupported by studies.

If I'm wrong on any of the above, I'd be happy to be pointed to the literature.