Sunwayfoto IB-30 vs Anvil-30

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I had some extra points for Amazon (try not to shop there normally) and decided to order the Sunwayfoto IB-30 which looks to be a knock-off of the RRS Anvil-30. Looks like it is available at Two Vets for the same price as well.

Has anyone tried one? What did you think?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Leofoto has one too, I was recently debating getting one and opted for a regular ball head, simply because I wanted to panning base for glassing.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Seems to be unavailable now on Amazon or two vets. Wonder it’s it a patent issue or something?
Probably just sold out. They seem to sell out pretty quickly from what I've seen.

I did order the IB-30 and received it last week. I haven't had a chance to test it yet though.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I was planning on getting one, hopefully they come back in stock. I just ordered a Leofoto 323, setup with the IB-30 it should be a little lighter than a RRS TFCT-33 w/Anvil 30. Will see.

ID_Matt

WKR
I got the IB-30 as well a few weeks ago. Have used it for glassing at PRS matches, rock chuck spotting, and dry fire in the house. It holds my 20 lb gun well and is really not bad at all to glass with. A few guys in my group last weekend had the anvil-30 and were surprised how well mine worked for half the price. It seems like a really well put together head. In comparing to the anvil, it seemed like the anvil had a little smoother tension in between locked and fully loosened, whereas the IB30 is more on/off with less in between. It is very compact and should be a dream to shoot off of. It will be a tough decision between that and my sirui va-5 this hunting season.

One note is to make sure the arca clamp is timed perfectly before you get too crazy. If it is not very tight, it is easy for your binos or whatever is attached to slip. It does not have a plunger type keeper like most pan heads I have used.

ID_Matt

WKR
Justin, what were your thoughts on this head? I used mine for a bit but just switched to the leofoto version. I think the leofoto is quite a bit step up from the sunway. It is quite a bit more pleasant to glass with as it has a fair bit more tension in the middle.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, what were your thoughts on this head? I used mine for a bit but just switched to the leofoto version. I think the leofoto is quite a bit step up from the sunway. It is quite a bit more pleasant to glass with as it has a fair bit more tension in the middle.
It's decent. I don't like it for glassing very much because it "catches" or stays locked when I loosen it and I have to apply quite a bit of force to get it to pop loose.

It works fine for shooting so far. The real test will be when I take it to ND in a couple weeks for some coyote hunting.

I'm using the leofoto version for my Dec hunt so have been practicing with it in the mtns. The head seems stable but not as much as my 40mm tripod with pan head. It gets rounds on target at 527 yards but not as tight as going prone or off a bench.

Attachments

• 20221106_151843.jpg
    20221106_151843.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 79

ID_Matt

WKR
It's decent. I don't like it for glassing very much because it "catches" or stays locked when I loosen it and I have to apply quite a bit of force to get it to pop loose.

It works fine for shooting so far. The real test will be when I take it to ND in a couple weeks for some coyote hunting.
Mine did the same thing. Taking it apart and cleaning the ball seemed to fix it for a while until more dust or whatever got in.

ID_Matt

WKR
I'm using the leofoto version for my Dec hunt so have been practicing with it in the mtns. The head seems stable but not as much as my 40mm tripod with pan head. It gets rounds on target at 527 yards but not as tight as going prone or off a bench.
Looks similar to my set up, except for a 5 section tripod. I went with the 324 CL - longer legs.

Still not liking this for glassing?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anyone tried putting one of these on a ball head? Similar to Anvil and subjet head, but obviously just the top quick release part. The ability to switch from Arca "only" to also include a pic rail channel as well is intruiging....

Reactions: wyo

Lil-Rokslider
I have the IB-30 and an Anvil 30. I used the IB-30 on a Leofoto SO-282C for deer hunting this year. Really stable and lightweight. The 3rd picture is the Anvil 30.138.JPG008.JPG124.JPG