Sunglasses

Always while driving, and polarized glasses when fishing is a must.

Never when hunting. Glasses totally mess with my peep sight when shooting a bow.

elkduds

WKR
I'm assuming that means you like them so, what brand do you have?

Unknown brand, whatever Wally World Optical shop carries. $12 price range. When they get scratched, replace them. Cheap enough to keep pairs in the truck, the pack, the car, the boat, etc. Correct, I like them.

Last edited:

ChrisA

WKR
Unless it's dark or darn near, I've got a pair of Costa del Mar are on. I must have lost and broken a dozen pair of Ray Ban, Oakley and Costas over the last 20 years but cheap glasses give me headaches.

I read that using polarized glasses defeats the purpose of expensive glass in scopes and bins so I'm thinking about trying some actual shooting glasses.

Chris

Wyatt G

Lil-Rokslider
If im outside and it's not dark or raining too hard i've got my maui jim's on. It's less strain on your eyes and keeps me from getting a headache. I can shoot with them on, when glassing i just rest the lenses on top of my binos. I tried a pair of costa's but hated the frames, they felt cheap compared to my maui's, lenses were a bit better but the frames weren't good enough for me to keep them.

KMT

WKR
I will pheasant hunt with sunglasses. But I don't hunt with them otherwise.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh pick me.. I definitely do. I just have to take them off if I'm sitting down glassing. But I usually have a pretty strong sunglass tan line coming off the mountain.

tracker12

WKR
Never did until I bought a pair of Costa with 580 lens. Now they are always on. I was amaze at how better I could see in the woods during bright sunny days.

2ski

WKR
No, I wear traditional glasses. Not sure why people are taking off the sunglasses to use binos though?

Because they don't know why the eyecups twist in and out........if I have sunglasses on, I'll twist the eyecups in and keep on the glasses.

I hunt with a cheap pair of glasses in the woods so I can take them off in the timber. I feel most of the time I see more definition with them on. But like someone else said, I've lost too many expensive ones to the water or slopes. I have a nice pair of Smiths with the chromo pop lenses. They are amazing. I seriously get eye fatigue when I take them off. They are so sharp. But they are too expensive to hunt with.

I don't wear sunglasses when I'm hiking the trails during the summer. I used to get all sorts of dogs growling at me while hiking. I heard something about dogs not liking sunglasses because they can't see your eyes. Since I stopped wearing them on the trails....not one has growled in several years. And you see a lot of dogs on trails around Bozeman.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because they don't know why the eyecups twist in and out........if I have sunglasses on, I'll twist the eyecups in and keep on the glasses.

I do know why the eyecups twist in and out. I take mine off for 1. because I want to look right into my glass and not have a darker "filter" to look through. And 2, because they can get uncomfortable after a while. If I'm just hiking and throw the 10's up to look at something I'll definitely leave them on. But sitting down and actually glassing I'll always take them off.

ChrisS

WKR
I will add that I always fish in sunglasses.
Always. I learned my lesson years ago fishing for salmon. I had a decent fish on and he was tight, came out of the water, head shake, the hook released, and - in what felt like slow motion - I could see the single split shot heading right back at me. I tried to duck, but it was too late. That little piece of lead hit damn near right between the eyes. I put my hand to my forehead and felt blood - it was a gusher. I stumbled back to shore and took a seat to stabilize myself and stop the bleeding. I was lucky, the splitshot or hook could have hit an inch lower in the eye and really made a mess of my day. From that day on, I always make sure to have protective sunglasses on while fishing.

I can't wear glasses while hunting though. Much prefer contacts. I've stepped on my glasses in the woods and it sucks to have to stumble back. With contacts, I carry a small thing of fluid and an extra pair. Cheap insurance.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
No, I wear traditional glasses. Not sure why people are taking off the sunglasses to use binos though?
Eye relief....and I don't like touching the lenses with the binos.....and I'd rather it not be shaded when I'm looking for something.

Opah

WKR
I could never tolerate having something that close to my eyes for any length of time, just bugs to much. One day here down the road I will have to figure out how to but for now I buy the cheapo's for fishing or the snow and end up not coming home with them

I always backpack with good polarized sunglasses. Eyes are too important. Oakley Fives (standard issue). Great for hunting or fly fishing. I accidentally left them at a remote timberline lake in the Gore Range a couple years ago where the fishing for cutthroat is always on. Bought myself a replacement pair, and then hiked 6 miles back up to look for them. Found them in the grass where I had taken a break from fishing.

tracker12

WKR
I have both the 580G and 580P. For hunting I really like the P much lighter and just as clear form my perspective. Not sure I'll buy anymore glass.

TheCougar

WKR
Funny you ask. I've never realized, but I wear sunglasses ALL the time when I am outside. Except when I am hunting! I think they would be annoying with constantly glassing.