Summer Olympics?

KurtR

WKR
Since I work from home I’ve been having it on in the background. Rugby, gymnastics, and swimming have been the most exciting imo. The way our women won the bronze medal rugby match was WILD! Volleyball and mountain biking are fun to watch too. Looking forward to track now that that’s starting up
Right i was watching and know nothing about rugby but i was screaming at the tv run run haha

I've tried to understand Rugby by watching it but my American brain just can't seem to make much sense of that game.
The basics are pretty straightforward:

-Everyone is pretty much a linebacker and a running back at the same time
-you can only lateral the ball, unless you kick it forward
-the ball is never dead unless it goes out of bounds
-you have to release the ball if tackled
-you can’t tackle above the shoulder
-you have to actually touch the ball down to score a try (aka “touchdown)
-wherever you touch the ball down, you have to kick your extra point (2 points in this case) directly out from there. This makes scoring in the corner of the inzone a lot less valuable than the middle

Other rules give the 15v15 format a lot more of a learning curve as a fan, but if you know the rules above, you’re gtg for 7s.

Also, “scrums” and “line-outs” are pretty much the only set piece plays in the game, and occur when one team commits a penalty or the ball goes out of bounds.

3forks

WKR
I watch all kinds of it. The athletes are just doing what they train four years for.
Same for me.

The athletes have been busting their asses to get to the games, and anyone who can’t appreciate the level of effort and commitment that it takes to arrive at this level is oblivious.

If someone has no interest in the Olympics, so be it - but the athletes have no influence over what IOC and host city chooses to allow for the opening ceremonies.

I started swimming kinda competitive (Masters), since the last summer games. So I am watching that. You never knew how amazing those guys are until you try it yourself.
I watched Katie Ledecky absolutely smoke the competition in the 1500M.

I just started swimming a couple months ago to start competing in triathlons and holy shit, if you don't have the proper coaching/technique from either HS or college it's a beast to learn. Now I truly appreciate what Ledecky and Phelps have done.

Loo.wii

WKR
We got embarrassed in shooting and after seeing woke boxing and that shitshow of open ceremony I am done.
If we are thinking about the same boxing thing. the chick who won was born with a snatch and just has abnormal levels of testosterone for a woman.... so.........

Loo.wii

WKR
I got a kick out of the shooter from Turkey that showed up in sweat pants and a tshirt, shot with one hand in his pocket like a hit man, and won silver. No fancy optics or anything. Haha.
Come on America, we’re letting Turkey out America us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
truly embarrassing. im also sad we are losing the geopolitical _ick swinging contest that is the Olympics to china!!

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
I've been watching a fair amount. Some of the sports I just don't know enough about or keep my attention (bike racing). But the nationalism and reward for years of unbelievably hard work just win me over. I liked to see Simone Biles come back after her struggles last go-round. (I liked her more when her husband played for the Packers than I do now that he is a Chicago Bear!) I like to see athletes show pride when the national anthem is played. When they use the flag like a beach towel or a kids blankie, I'm much less impressed.

I got a kick out of the shooter from Turkey that showed up in sweat pants and a tshirt, shot with one hand in his pocket like a hit man, and won silver. No fancy optics or anything. Haha.
Come on America, we’re letting Turkey out America us!

Dont forget, half our country thinks handguns are pure evil.

If we are thinking about the same boxing thing. the chick who won was born with a snatch and just has abnormal levels of testosterone for a woman.... so.........

According to what I read, there is a “female” boxer who was born male and transitioned, from Algeria I believe. Either way a female with abnormal testosterone levels would throw up some red flags about possible doping to me

WKR
According to what I read, there is a “female” boxer who was born male and transitioned, from Algeria I believe. Either way a female with abnormal testosterone levels would throw up some red flags about possible doping to me

This is false. The boxer was born female, vagina included, but may have chromosomal abnormalities and may or may not have high testosterone levels. Data has not been released. Most of these allegations are from a quite corrupt boxing organization, which has been displaced recently.

The IOC has not done a good job of managing this situation but as of right now all we have are baseless allegations of potential chromosome abnormalities and potentially high testosterone. High testosterone does not mean doping nor does it mean, male, there are significant in individual ranges, and as one might expect, females who tend to excel at sport tend to be on the higher side.

This is definitely not a transgender issue.

This individual has competed in the Olympics before and multiple world championships and has been tested by WADA many times.

"Her" and the other "her" we both disqualified from IBA worlds last yr because they couldn't pass a gender eligibility test...International Associations have standards for reason.

WKR
"Her" and the other "her" we both disqualified from IBA worlds last yr because they couldn't pass a gender eligibility test...International Associations have standards for reason.
IBA has been discredited and removed from its role due to rampant corruption.

Nor have they released any results.

Nor did they test testosterone levels.

They have refused to say what testing they used to disqualify the athlete, but they specifically stated that it was NOT a testosterone test.

They have provided zero evidence other than allegation.

The athlete isn’t new to elite competition and has been reputable tested many times (including testosterone levels) with no problems.

IOC needs to update and improve their protocol, no doubt about that.

Transgender male to female individuals have no place in competitive sport, no doubt about that either.

But the actual facts in this case to no support the allegations that the athlete is ineligible. Should there be more evaluation, I think yes. Should there be a clear protocol set forward by IOC, I think yes.

But these athletes don’t control that, at all.

Intersex and chromosomal abnormal individuals are not as rare as we would like to think. Everyone at the games is a genetic freak at some level in order to be there. Drawing lines of what is or is not allowed is actually quite difficult.

The transgender issue, which this is not, is very cut and dry by comparison IMO.

The media is creating hysteria through misinformation, and of course they won’t face any consequences for their “lying for profit” tactics.

Loo.wii

WKR
IBA has been discredited and removed from its role due to rampant corruption.

Nor have they released any results.

Nor did they test testosterone levels.

They have refused to say what testing they used to disqualify the athlete, but they specifically stated that it was NOT a testosterone test.

They have provided zero evidence other than allegation.

The athlete isn’t new to elite competition and has been reputable tested many times (including testosterone levels) with no problems.

IOC needs to update and improve their protocol, no doubt about that.

Transgender male to female individuals have no place in competitive sport, no doubt about that either.

But the actual facts in this case to no support the allegations that the athlete is ineligible. Should there be more evaluation, I think yes. Should there be a clear protocol set forward by IOC, I think yes.

But these athletes don’t control that, at all.

Intersex and chromosomal abnormal individuals are not as rare as we would like to think. Everyone at the games is a genetic freak at some level in order to be there. Drawing lines of what is or is not allowed is actually quite difficult.

The transgender issue, which this is not, is very cut and dry by comparison IMO.

The media is creating hysteria through misinformation, and of course they won’t face any consequences for their “lying for profit” tactics.
But sir this is Rokslide where we must only agree with the furthest right position or theory regardless of nuance or more than a headline . Otherwise you’ll get death threats.