Suggestions for New Elk Hunting Packs

New to Elk Hunting but I want to buy a pack that will last me a long time and one that I will not have to upgrade if a go on a 1-2 week trip. Thinking about packs that are good for 4-7 days. I am currently considering KUIU, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, and Kifaru packs. What do you use and like/dislike about your pack?

Xerute

FNG
New to Elk Hunting but I want to buy a pack that will last me a long time and one that I will not have to upgrade if a go on a 1-2 week trip. Thinking about packs that are good for 4-7 days. I am currently considering KUIU, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, and Kifaru packs. What do you use and like/dislike about your pack?
I would try out a few and return if you don't like. Exo Mountain Gear is releasing a new pack, the K4, which has a lot of hype around it. Think any of those companies packs will work if it fits you well.

I have a kifaru hoodlum and an older exo k2. Both are great for carrying loads.
Kifaru is far more customizable, where the exo is more simple and plain jane.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Post where you're located and I bet there are members close to you willing to let you try their packs with weight. You'll need to make sure the belt and harness are sized and adjusted properly. This is the best way to find out what will work for you.

For brands, look at Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo Mountain Gear. I feel those are the top three.

If you’re looking for an absolute bombproof pack, take a hard look at kifaru. A little on the heavy side but they’ll last you a long long time

Dennis

WKR
I am using Kuiu Pro harness and frame with assorted bag sizes and meat hauler. Easy to switch between bag sizes. Light weight option, but I have not used all the others recommended above.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking pretty hard at the initial ascent and the Barney Sports Chalet frontier gear of Alaska freighter

OP
M
Dont want to be a jerk but there are a plethora of threads on this exact topic already. It is my belief that any of the above will more than suffice.
Post where you're located and I bet there are members close to you willing to let you try their packs with weight. You'll need to make sure the belt and harness are sized and adjusted properly. This is the best way to find out what will work for you.

For brands, look at Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo Mountain Gear. I feel those are the top three.
Thank you for the advice. I am in Sacramento CA

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Several years ago I tried to design what I felt was what I wanted in a frame and pack. When I was done with that design I discovered Stone Glacier had just come out and a buddy on Archery Talk told me to check them out. I was amazed......it was exactly what I wanted with the light weight, suspension, one-piece belt, load shelf, and strapping, etc. So that's what I have, and I've had it for years now. I've changed bags a couple times, or added some smaller ones to the arsenal, but it all works very well for what I want it to do. I've also bought and returned Kifaru and Exo packs that I tried out. Gotta love their 30 day return policies on these big 3 pack companies.

You’re about ~30 minutes from Kuiu’s headquarters in Dixon, CA.

Have you been to their showroom to try on some packs yet? Also, there are a couple of Sportsman’s Warehouse locations near you and they carry Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier packs.

Any of the brands you’ve mentioned would have some great 4-7 day pack options.

I‘m running the Stone Glacier X-Frame with a couple of different bags - the Sky Talus 6900 is my go to bag for a trip like you are describing.

OP
M
If you’re in eastern Washington I got a kifaru duplex lite and exo k4 you can try on.
Thanks Sadler. I am in Northern CA but I appreciate the offer!
You’re about ~30 minutes from Kuiu’s headquarters in Dixon, CA.

Have you been to their showroom to try on some packs yet? Also, there are a couple of Sportsman’s Warehouse locations near you and they carry Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier packs.

Any of the brands you’ve mentioned would have some great 4-7 day pack options.

I‘m running the Stone Glacier X-Frame with a couple of different bags - the Sky Talus 6900 is my go to bag for a trip like you are describing.
Yeah I've been to the Kuiu showroom and am strongly considering going with their pack because its one of the only ones I have tried on. The sportsmans near me has a small variety of packs that are the size that I am looking for but Mystery Ranch is also one I have ranked highly on my list. I will have to check and see what size stone glaciers sportsmans has. I appreciate the advice!

skissell

FNG
I have a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. I'll continue to use it on my future elk trips, it has plenty of room to pack in 4-5 days of gear/food. Meat hauler works very well and holds the meat tight to your back with the straps that come with the pack. The lid is also a nice feature, you can put items in there you want readily available throughout the day. (food, medkit, knife, lights, etc.)

I’m looking pretty hard at the initial ascent and the Barney Sports Chalet frontier gear of Alaska freighter
H
If you’re looking for an absolute bombproof pack, take a hard look at kifaru. A little on the heavy side but they’ll last you a long long time
Had my Gen I Late Season not been stolen out of my truck last year I would never have had to replace it and it was 23 years old!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Mystery Ranch and Dior have a collab going if you want to hunt in style

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk