Suggestions for a recoil shy rifle

SloppyJ

WKR
I'd be in the .243 camp. I'm in love with my 6creed after my first trip out with it. I have no doubt that with the 108 elite hunters or ELDMs that I will have a really good season with it this year.

I just got my son a T3x Lite .223 compact, had it chopped to 16" and it's going to be a badass setup too.

The Guide

WKR
I would suggest a 6mm Creedmoor as they are factory twisted right to run the 95 grain Barnes LRX bullets. We have experienced great accuracy with Barnes factory loads using the 95 grain LRX with performance on deer and antelope size game as well as you would expect from any bullet. It is a California approved bullet that you can find in stock with most online retailers. Not sure how easily it is found in the state due to your silly ammunition and firearms laws.

Jay

From an enforcement perspective, whats the chance a game warden is gonna cross section a bullet you're shooting? Just saying....
I’ve only been checked by a warden for my bullets once. He looked at them and said “looks like GMX?” He was also a hunter so obviously knowledgeable but yeah it’s possible to be checked.

TaperPin

WKR
In many many families, a 243 is everyone’s first rifle, for good reason - it kills things, easy recoil, flat trajectory, ammo everywhere, good varmint/coyote, has a little kick to keep the brain used to recoil to help with larger calibers.

BigNate

WKR
I thought Cali had a .24" bore limit for game. That's why I made the recommendation I did.

If .224" is legal then I'd look at even smaller caliber options as some have mentioned. Bullet choice is the issue due to the ridiculous laws. Not familiar with what's "approved". A .223, 22 Creed, or properly twisted 22-250 would be top of my list.

My boys did fine using 85gr TSX out of a. 243w but all deer were close. Today I'd pick a Tipped tsx or lrx if going to 400.

OP
The Fat Coyote
I thought Cali had a .24" bore limit for game. That's why I made the recommendation I did.

If .224" is legal then I'd look at even smaller caliber options as some have mentioned. Bullet choice is the issue due to the ridiculous laws. Not familiar with what's "approved". A .223, 22 Creed, or properly twisted 22-250 would be top of my list.

My boys did fine using 85gr TSX out of a. 243w but all deer were close. Today I'd pick a Tipped tsx or lrx if going to 400.
It is legal to hunt with the 223 here in California, but we have a lead free bullet restriction because a condor ate a gopher that swallowed a golf pencil a few years back and tested for lead. I really like the idea of getting a 223 and really getting comfortable with slingin some bullets but I am afraid that the 223 will not do well out the 350-400 yard range, granted I have zero experience or knowledge of using smaller calibers on deer. Where I hunt, its dry open area, some brush, some oak trees, but unless its the rut itll be really hard to get inside 100 yards on a buck.

OP
The Fat Coyote
I'd be in the .243 camp. I'm in love with my 6creed after my first trip out with it. I have no doubt that with the 108 elite hunters or ELDMs that I will have a really good season with it this year.

I just got my son a T3x Lite .223 compact, had it chopped to 16" and it's going to be a badass setup too.
The 6 creed has caught my attention as well. I am going to see what the availability is today. As of right now I think I'm narrowed down to a 223, 243, 6cm, 6.5grendel

The Guide

WKR
The 6 creed has caught my attention as well. I am going to see what the availability is today. As of right now I think I'm narrowed down to a 223, 243, 6cm, 6.5grendel
As an owner of multiple Grendel rifles, I would remove it from your list due to your need for lead free bullets. The Grendel won't spit those lead free offerings as fast as the 6CM or 243 and you can't get get cheap practice ammo like you can for the 223. The Grendel with a 120 grain fragmenting cup and lead core bullet is a deer killer but with lead offerings you will limit your range below you desired maximum range in my opinion.

The 6CM is of a newer chamber design which dictates a faster twist barrel than the 243 Winchester. This means the 6CM can shoot heavier lead free bullets than the 243 can unless you buy a new model Tikka 243 that has a fast twist barrel. That still leaves you with the issue of finding factory ammo options in the 243 optimized for fast twist barrels which at this time, I know of none since the SAAMI spec for the 243 is a 10 twist and not an 8 twist. This leads me back to the 6CM and the Barnes 95 grain LRX being the easy button for your situation.

Jay

OP
The Fat Coyote
As an owner of multiple Grendel rifles, I would remove it from your list due to your need for lead free bullets. The Grendel won't spit those lead free offerings as fast as the 6CM or 243 and you can't get get cheap practice ammo like you can for the 223. The Grendel with a 120 grain fragmenting cup and lead core bullet is a deer killer but with lead offerings you will limit your range below you desired maximum range in my opinion.

The 6CM is of a newer chamber design which dictates a faster twist barrel than the 243 Winchester. This means the 6CM can shoot heavier lead free bullets than the 243 can unless you buy a new model Tikka 243 that has a fast twist barrel. That still leaves you with the issue of finding factory ammo options in the 243 optimized for fast twist barrels which at this time, I know of none since the SAAMI spec for the 243 is a 10 twist and not an 8 twist. This leads me back to the 6CM and the Barnes 95 grain LRX being the easy button for your situation.

Jay
Hell yea, thank you Jay, this is some great info here. I will drop the Grendel from the list that's great.

So far what i got is:

223 with 77 grain copper bullets but long range will be a no
243 that im looking at is a 9 twist so that will limit me to some lighter bullets
6cm so far is the king

The Guide

WKR
Hell yea, thank you Jay, this is some great info here. I will drop the Grendel from the list that's great.

So far what i got is:

243 that im looking at is a 9 twist so that will limit me to some lighter bullets
6cm so far is the king
Also, with a 223 you will need a fast twist (8 or better a 7) for the heavy lead free options as they are longer bullets. You would still be able to get your 400 yard desired range but you are on the edge of the acceptable velocity threshold for good expansion.

Jay

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

So far what i got is:

6cm so far is the king

There is a massive 223 thread that you should read, and understand that DRT 79gr bullets are more similar to the good fragmenting lead bullets than they are to solid coppers. A 223 wiry 79gr DRT has zero issues at 400 yards- none.

Even with the 6cm, the 95gr DRT bullet is the best choice

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
How's it going Rokslide. Before I start I just wanted to say I love this forum. I have learned a ton from this place and appreciate all the info that gets passed through here. Ok so first off, about me, I am mainly a bowhunter, started with target archery and then got into bowhunting. I learned to shoot a bow good by starting with bows that were easy to shoot (low holding weight/draw weight) and slowly worked my way up. My experience with rifles has been the exact opposite. I currently own three rifles, a 270 from the 70s, wood stock, no recoil pad that my dad gave me and (2) 300 Win Mags that were gifted to me by a good friend and uncle. I can shoot the 270 the best, even though it kicks the hell out of me. The win mags i can shoot but my groups suck.
I have finally saved up enough money to purchase a rifle, it will be my first purchased rifle, needless to say im stoked. I plan to get a bolt action of some kind and I am curious what you guys would suggest caliber wise for a recoil shy shooter. I am a short guy with a small frame and I would like to get a rifle that I can learn to shoot with the least amount a recoil but still have a decent hunting rifle for california blacktail.
The longest I have shot a deer is right under 400 yards with the 270, so that is about the maximum yardage I am comfortable shooting at.
So parameters (not hard parameters) would be 400yard and under deer rifle with the least amount of recoil possible.
I am interested in the 6.5 Grendel but friends have told me to forget about it.
I like the 243 but my dad has told me to forget about it.
The 6.5 Creedmoor sounds awesome but if the recoil is similar to the 270 it will be on the high side for me.

What do you guys suggest? 223 with 77 tmks? I am all ears.
My 13 yo kid could shoot 7mn-08 pretty good. Take a look at ruger american compact 7mm-08. With your frame, it seems a great fit. 145 grn eldx does the trick every time. From 400 and under deer to 250 yards cow. With a basic 3-9x40 leup you got a great combo. Down the line uf you decide to put a suppressor, barrel length won't be an issue Look at the specs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The Guide

WKR
There is a massive 223 thread that you should read, and understand that DRT 79gr bullets are more similar to the good fragmenting lead bullets than they are to solid coppers. A 223 wiry 79gr DRT has zero issues at 400 yards- none.

Form,

Do you know of any retailers that distribute the DRT bullets/ammo or do you need to get it directly from Dynamic Research?

Jay

The Guide

WKR
My 13 yo kid could shoot 7mn-08 pretty good. Take a look at ruger american compact 7mm-08. With your frame, it seems a great fit. 145 grn eldx does the trick every time. From 400 and under deer to 250 yards cow. With a basic 3-9x40 leup you got a great combo. Down the line uf you decide to put a suppressor, barrel length won't be an issue Look at the specs.

Great cartridge but the OP is in California and needs to use lead free offerings. The 7mm-08 unfortunately has very few lead free options in factory ammo. Most 7mm lead free bullets are optimized for the magnum 7mm cartridge class. Barnes does make a great 120 grain TTSX load but it maximum effective range for expansion is shorter than what I'd like to see.

Jay

OP
The Fat Coyote

I like this, a huge part of me wants to go 223, because i feel like ill learn to shoot the best and will get more range time in a cartridge like that. If the thread is "223 for everything," I've read it, I dig it, its what sold me on the 223 to begin with :D

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
Great cartridge but the OP is in California and needs to use lead free offerings. The 7mm-08 unfortunately has very few lead free options in factory ammo. Most 7mm lead free bullets are optimized for the magnum 7mm cartridge class. Barnes does make a great 120 grain TTSX load but it maximum effective range for expansion is shorter than what I'd like to see.

Jay
I overlooked the CA part..oops.

Last edited: