suggestions and recommendations requested

I have a A bolt 2 with boss , .338winmag, purchased brand new in 1991ish i have shot maybe 50 rounds through the gun, i had other guns and it was to pretty to take in the field and i bow hunt so it only saw a few elk hunts.

i will say it has never grouped all that well, however i never tried a lot of different ammo.

I've been thinking of getting a new rifle but open the safe and see it siting their.

questions are
should i sell it and start new?

what could i sell it for?

or fix it up and see what i can do with ti

maybe a new stock so I'm not so scared to scratch it up.

what can i do to fix it up

would it be worth it to fix it up?

it has a vx3 leupold 3.5x10x50mm that i bought at same time, i will upgrade the scope to a 3-18 likely

the cartridge is very capable, its killed a few elk, but the kick and noise is terrible even with the boss it kicks pretty good

id like to be able to while hunting shoot out to 500yds with confidence,,

or sell it and go buy a new Browning Hells Canyon or C Arms Mesa 7mm,6.5prc,300wm

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
There are probably other rifles I'd look at getting for Elk for sure, but I will let someone with more Elk experience talk about that.

I would like to say though, you have the BOSS that acts as a tuning device for barrel harmonics? You should be able to tune the Boss to shoot any quality ammo pretty decently. Is maybe the blast and recoil a hindrance to you shooting good groups? If that's the case, there are plenty of more "shootable" calibers that guys here reccomend. Randy Newberg seems to like .308, and that's what I have chosen for most of my hunting. Easy to shoot all day, even out of a lightweight rifle.

With your 500 yard requirement, maybe I'd step up to 30-06 or .300 WM, both less recoil than 338 WM, more than .308 but still bearable in a medium weight rifle.

OP
wasatchcomm
thanks for the input, i would prefer less recoil but i don't have a problem with the gun as it is. I'm sure a better stock and limb saver would help tremendously, just not sure i want to invest in it.

Muttly

WKR
50 rounds?
Since 1991??
I,m gonna go out on a limb here, saying you don't love the gun, haven't bonded with it, aren't really likely to. I,ve got a 9.3x62, kicks like a good natured mule, not mean spirited...well over 50 rounds first few trips to the range.
Also came to the conclusion that it was too pretty to take hunting, but a fun gun, and waaaaay too much sentimental value to let go of.
Unless you,ve got some reason to keep that gun you,re not shooting much, sell it, trade it, whatever, get a 7 or 300 Win Mag, snazzy new caliber, something that fits you well and is fun to shoot.

If you don’t like the recoil I’d say sell it. If it doesn’t bother you to much I’d recommend the following
Order limbsaver for it and bolt it on. Pretty easy to do DIY. Also you can buy a replacement spring to help reduce the trigger pull to acceptable.
Try a few different factory ammo and shoot what it likes.
On a side note I understand rifles are sometimes pretty. If it’s a $2500 walnut stock or a rifle with sentimental value I could see not wanting to scratch it. If it’s an off the shelf box rifle take it hunting! They are meant to be used. Scratches mean your using it and usually hunting hard.

OP
wasatchcomm
I think i will try a limbsaver, and playing with it for a few months then if it doesn't appeal to me i will move on to another caliber like the 7mm or the 300wm

what limbsaver do you think is best, the pull over or the grind and fit type?

davsco

WKR
if you don't love it, sell it. i saw a lefty browning boss rifle get bid up on gunbroker a while back. list it there and if it doesn't sell you're no worse off. unless you got some super fancy stock with that, i would just hunt with what you have and not worry about it getting beat up. def play with the tuning of the boss, why not.