Suggestion for 12v string lights for the basecamp tent?

jables

FNG
I've been using Husky construction LED string lights in our large hunting tent and they are great. I use them for work and they'll light up an attic or crawl space like its daylight, they're awesome. However they require 120v (generator) and are too f'n bright at 5am. I would like a 12v string light set up that is dimmable that can be strung around the tent, does anybody have any experience or suggestions here?

Attachments

• string lights 1.jpg
    string lights 1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 6
  • string lights 2.jpg
    string lights 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 6
I know I have bought some cheap LED string lights on Amazon. They're not 12v but if you have a Milwaukee topoff you could play around and see what kind of run time you can get on different sized batteries.

For the past month or so I've been using these in my 11.5x11.5' tent, which have been great:

I tried to find one that is from an actual company and not just some Chinese knock off mfr who sells through Amazon.

I don't see longer lengths though, so don't know if they'll be big enough for a large wall tent. This one is 100" and gives a very nice, soft light. I did a test of how long they would last on a small battery bank (think it is about 3000-4000mah) and it was about 17 hours.

OP
J

jables

FNG
I know I have bought some cheap LED string lights on Amazon. They're not 12v but if you have a Milwaukee topoff you could play around and see what kind of run time you can get on different sized batteries.
That is a great idea, I wasn't familiar with the Milwaukee topoff! I will see if Dewalt has an equivalent as I dont have any Milwaukee 18volt batteries

For the past month or so I've been using these in my 11.5x11.5' tent, which have been great:

I don't see longer lengths though, so don't know if they'll be big enough for a large wall tent. This one is 100" and gives a very nice, soft light.

I did a test of how long they would last on a small battery bank (think it is about 3000-4000mah) and it was about 17 hours.
These look good. I was also checking out the 'pebble light' style. Just concerned about if they provide enough light to be the sole light source when its dark outside. 17 hours is very impressive

Atao

FNG
A lot of the string lights that you buy off of Amazon are actually 12v, the plug is a converter (similar to a phone charging block) I just cut the cord and wire them into a battery.

That is a great idea, I wasn't familiar with the Milwaukee topoff! I will see if Dewalt has an equivalent as I dont have any Milwaukee 18volt batteries

These look good. I was also checking out the 'pebble light' style. Just concerned about if they provide enough light to be the sole light source when its dark outside. 17 hours is very impressive
Looks like dewalt makes one. If you like the Milwaukee version more, you could run a battery adapter like this:

OP
J

jables

FNG
Milwaukee topoff
You sent me down a rabbit hole and now I'm considering the $500 Dewalt 1800 watt portable power station/charger... its a business writeoff, right?! lol

A lot of the string lights that you buy off of Amazon are actually 12v, the plug is a converter (similar to a phone charging block) I just cut the cord and wire them into a battery.

I think I will go this route, this is a good idea. I'll try to find a dimmable one that has the option of getting pretty bright

It's been solid for normal living inside the tent. I do keep a small dimmable and rechargeable led lantern if I need immediate, quick turn on bright light. The photo is just off the 100" light string, which gives a soft very usable general light inside.

Attachments

• IMG_3417 (1).jpeg
    IMG_3417 (1).jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 0