Suggested Temp Rating of Backcountry Late Season Hunting in CO?

Gotcha_

FNG
Hello,

I'm looking to do backcountry camping during late season mule deer rut. Last year the first season of where I was at went down to 10° at night. I have a 0° bag and a Tensor Extreme (8.5R) for most occasions but I was worried if I go any later, temps commonly drop below 0. Do you have any recommendations based on experience for this camping? I'm currently looking at a -30 bag. Also have a hot tent and canvas tent with Mr.buddy for base camp.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Last year it was dropping into single digits. First night I used my old 0 bag with multiple layers and was uncomfortably cold. Second night I put my 15 bag inside of my 0 bag and I was nearly sweating in my base layers. Not sure how the bulk/weight compares to a -30 but I’m sure it’s cheaper

Depending on the unit, it could be below zero. Hunted 4th season in the Gunnison area a few years back, most mornings were minus 5 to minus 10 when we were heading out. We had a propane heater in the wall tent, regulator kept freezing up kind of cold.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
Depending on the unit, it could be below zero. Hunted 4th season in the Gunnison area a few years back, most mornings were minus 5 to minus 10 when we were heading out. We had a propane heater in the wall tent, regulator kept freezing up kind of cold.
Yes I have some ideas from this forum to counter that but need a sleeping bag that can handle the night if the heater somehow doesn't work hours from anywhere.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
Last year it was dropping into single digits. First night I used my old 0 bag with multiple layers and was uncomfortably cold. Second night I put my 15 bag inside of my 0 bag and I was nearly sweating in my base layers. Not sure how the bulk/weight compares to a -30 but I’m sure it’s cheaper
I'm cautious to do this in the backcountry due to uncertain temp ratings, for sure its warmer if we are truck camping weight doesn't matter either, but out there I gotta know.

Bearsears

WKR
I run a Chillkoot 15, and if it gets really cold I wear my layers up to and including puffy pants and jacket. That way I can save some weight and bulk backpack hunting. I'm running a Sitka Kelvin Down WS for my puffy that time of year for reference. As long as your sleeping bag is sized appropriately to allow you to layer inside of it, and you have proper puffy layers for that time of year, you should be fine. Also if you can find bags that are made with a differential cut they will help with not compressing the insulation with your extra layers on. Last tip is dont discount the effectiveness of hot water in a nalgene at the bottom of your bag and dont get into your bag with an already cold body, do some jumping jacks if you have to.

Blackbird

FNG
Heat up water at night out it in your water bottle and shove that in your sleeping bag. A legit 0 degree bag should be fine add layers if needed. Above all else use that hot tent if it’s too cold add more wood.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
I run a Chillkoot 15, and if it gets really cold I wear my layers up to and including puffy pants and jacket. That way I can save some weight and bulk backpack hunting. I'm running a Sitka Kelvin Down WS for my puffy that time of year for reference. As long as your sleeping bag is sized appropriately to allow you to layer inside of it, and you have proper puffy layers for that time of year, you should be fine. Also if you can find bags that are made with a differential cut they will help with not compressing the insulation with your extra layers on. Last tip is dont discount the effectiveness of hot water in a nalgene at the bottom of your bag and dont get into your bag with an already cold body, do some jumping jacks if you have to.
How cold have you been out? Below 0F?
Heat up water at night out it in your water bottle and shove that in your sleeping bag. A legit 0 degree bag should be fine add layers if needed. Above all else use that hot tent if it’s too cold add more wood.
How cold have you been out? Below 0F? Ive done these things but 0 bag at below 0, warm water cools after a few hours...

Bearsears

WKR
I'll add this. I wouldn't do what I'm talking about without having a puffy like the Sitka Kelvin down windstopper which is 250grams of down with windstopper. Its almost another sleeping bag on its own. Also im comfortable doing this from experience and knowing I have the safety factor of a wood stove in the redcliff. In my opinion you need to make sure the puffy you take is designed for extreme cold. A good way to ease into this is testing in the backyard that way if it gets too cold or unbearable you can just go in the house.

josiahv

FNG
I prefer a big enough bag to add clothing insulation layers without constriction/compression rather than dropping the cash for a super low temp bag. A thin foam pad (GG thinlight, zrest etc) is often helpful if camping on snow to reduce convection. Loose socks makes a world of difference for me. Hot nalgene can be nice as is havign a hot beverage before bed. Site selection, and tent selection are other factors.

taskswap

WKR
Bring your best and expect the worst. As others noted it can be below zero but that's not a late season thing. A few years ago in Rifle 1 (early- to mid-Oct) it was like -12 overnight each night for a few days. I've also camped in December in a different year and it was like 20 overnight and 50 during the day. In most states, seasons are promises. With Colorado, seasons are just "times it's more likely to be XYZ."

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I suggest saving weight. Go with a 0* bag, use the layers you have anyway. I also used to do the nalgene with hot water if it still sucked...but like you say that is only good for about 4 hours. Last year I used hot hands "super warmers". Put one in the foot box, lasts 8 hours at least. Plenty warm. Easy to carry, easy to use, conserves stove fuel. If it gets really bad open another one or put hot water in a nalgene....

I've been out in below 0 that way here in CO.

taskswap

WKR
I'm a fan of Hot Hands as well. If you want a trick, get a pair of down booties - they weigh almost nothing and can be had for like $25 on Amazon. Put a pair of toe warmers in those and put them on before bed. You'll be toasty all night.

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Also have a Chilkoot 15 and was down to -3/-4 two night last year in CO and I put my 30 deg quilt over top of me and was toasty with no more than my merino base layer top and bottom on, was running a 4.4R pad. Have been low single digits without the quilt and only have my xlite and my toes got cold, but that's not uncommon for me. The hot water bottle or hot hands work great. I prefer the jumbo hot hands for the bottom of the sleeping bag and if weather looks cold, bring one for every night.