Success on first cow hunt

1000004829.jpg1000004834.jpg1000004869.jpg1000004864.jpg1000004839.jpg1000004917.jpg
We're a few days back from our Wyoming cow hunt. We filled 3 of 4 tags in the group in 2 adjacent units. Saw fair number of elk and had a great time overall. My wife was the only one with a left over tag, but she did get an opportunity and a shot at the far edge of her comfort zone on some slightly edgy, moving elk that resulted in a miss just under the cow. Better than a wound, but she took it bit rough. Aside from that it was a great trip with many memories made. If we had bull tags it would have been a chip shot as 4 came out and stood at about 50-60 yards from us broad side for few minutes, still very awesome to see even being smaller horned and not being able to take a shot. Our Outfitter and guides were great. I won't name drop that just yet as we may be looking to book again next year but they knew where to get us, fed us well and we slept comfortably.
We worked hard for it and came home sore, exhausted but ready to do it again...did I mention these things are delicious! Bighorn Meat cutting got the job done well and we started our first day back east with elk steak and eggs for breakfast and some elk tacos for dinner. I'd say this is a new favorite game meat with antelope a close second and then whitetail.
Beautiful weather, perhaps a touch too warm, but cool enough to hang meat overnight. Can't wait to do it again!