Subaru Outback Wilderness - feedback or something?

sndmn11

WKR
About two months ago my lovely dented and pinstripped 05 Ram 1500 was Tboned by an uninsured driver. Today my insurance let me know it is a total loss due to two doors being smashed though it runs "great" and I have been driving it since. @KickinNDishin and I plan to keep the truck for hunting when we need the extra cargo space, she drives up separate from me, my brother needs to come up separate, etc.

I need a daily driver with these priorities:
-20+ mpg
-Forest/fire/blm/farm access road worthy, no rock crawling because I have feet, for summer camping/scouting and also for hunts that I am solo or dont need a ton of space
-Cargo space for 3 people and two intermediate Ruffland kennels
-Good aftermarket support for things that I might want to add later like skid plates, maybe new shocks, neat stickers, maybe a cargo rack thingerdinger
-reliable but I can still do simple maintenance on like change fluids, plugs, etc.
-durable

I landed on a Subarau Outback Wilderness after thining through:
-A midsize like a Colorado/Frontier/Tacoma would deliver less MPG
-A SUV like a Cherokee/Grand Cherokee would deliver less MPG and I am unsure if they really are off-road ready
-A SUV like a bronco sport probably isn't off road worthy, and its small
-A full size doesn't get me any advantages over my super cool current Ram

Looking down the road, my dad has had pancreatic cancer since 2020 and has a '16 Sierra 2500 Duramax as well as a '20 Tacoma. It is possible that their 5th wheel RV days might be coming to an end this fall, and those two vehicles will stay in the family. So, if the Ram does stop working, there are other options.

So, who has experience with an Outback? Are my priorities filled in actual use of one? Are there flaws in my thought process or things I may have overlooked?

(new car prices aside, etc., that has been overanalyzed already)

I did read through this

wapitibob

WKR
I've owned 3 Subarus and 4 jeep Cherokees. I'd go Subaru but you need to drive it, the steering column position and interior space can be bothersome depending on model.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
After looking through your list of considerations you have poor taste in vehicles 😜

Jeep Cherokee was a real consideration??? Or a bronco sport?

@Ucsdryder what are you responsible for this?
Cindy's '14 Grand Cherokee is a peach! I wish we could clone it. The Bronco Sport won the kid's top spot because it had two tone leather.

I think the only two I have driven that I did not like at all were a 19ish Tundra and a new Pathfinder.

-Nissan Leaf, almost bought last week
-Tacoma 17 was ok, 24 6' bed is in second place and I think if I didn't have the Ram it would win.
-24 Frontier is rad but Cindy says the passenger seat is too low and no 6' bed.
-Colorados are on Cindy's list for herself next year. We almost bought a few 20/21s but the bed size had us hesitating and they don't make the diesel. I think a 24 would be great but no 6' bed.
-newish Rams/Silverados/Sierras/Titans are neat
-Kia Telluride is ok
-Rangers drive well but are a full width bench in the back.

svivian

WKR
Cindy's '14 Grand Cherokee is a peach! I wish we could clone it. The Bronco Sport won the kid's top spot because it had two tone leather.

I think the only two I have driven that I did not like at all were a 19ish Tundra and a new Pathfinder.

-Nissan Leaf, almost bought last week
-Tacoma 17 was ok, 24 6' bed is in second place and I think if I didn't have the Ram it would win.
-24 Frontier is rad but Cindy says the passenger seat is too low and no 6' bed.
-Colorados are on Cindy's list for herself next year. We almost bought a few 20/21s but the bed size had us hesitating and they don't make the diesel. I think a 24 would be great but no 6' bed.
-newish Rams/Silverados/Sierras/Titans are neat
-Kia Telluride is ok
-Rangers drive well but are a full width bench in the back.
Any reason why a Toyota rav4 isn’t on your list? Or highlander?

handwerk

WKR
We get 20-22 MPG with our stock Lexus GX 460 , very capable rig on and off road, and so nice to drive.
As much as we loved our 4Runners the GX is more better, just not as burly looking.

MT_Fin

WKR
My wife has a ‘22 Subaru Ascent which I like way more than the ‘24 RAV4 we have at work personally. I believe I would feel the same way if it were the Outback instead.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I also own a ram 1500 and bought a new subaru outback wilderness in March. So far it's been great but I only have 7000km on it. There are a few little annoying safety features that I'm slowly getting used to. It's quite capable off road and I've taken it on a few hunting trips including some solo overnighters. Lots of room for my 6'3" frame in the back to sleep. Pm me if there's anything in particular that you'd like to know.
1000004099.jpg

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I also own a ram 1500 and bought a new subaru outback wilderness in March. So far it's been great but I only have 7000km on it. There are a few little annoying safety features that I'm slowly getting used to. It's quite capable off road and I've taken it on a few hunting trips including some solo overnighters. Lots of room for my 6'3" frame in the back to sleep. Pm me if there's anything in particular that you'd like to know.
View attachment 740482
Does gas mileage suffer with stuff on the roof?

I have 300,000+ miles on various Subarus (2001, 2006, 2010), many of those miles on rough roads on hunting trips in maybe 20 states. I inherited the first and married into the last, but for hunting/daily driving, they rock.

Head gasket issues exist with the Boxer engine design. Ground clearance can be a concern, but it’s not prevented me from accessing many areas. Today, I own a 2015 Tacoma and 2015 F150, but when I go on a hunting trip, I usually take my wife’s ’10 Outback. The independent suspension is so nice off pavement.

Yooper

WKR
Wife has a 2024 Outback Wilderness. So far so good after 16,000 miles. I think it checks all of your boxes except the cargo space. I would be pretty surprised if you could get two intermediate kennels in the back of that and still have room for 3 people but that's just my guess. Durability won't be the same as something like a Tacoma but if you're not trying to keep up with the Raptors of the world out there you should be fine. They're a really capable vehicle for what they are and the price point isn't bad compared to others in that class.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
My mom has one... it barely gets better MPG that my 05 cummins (17-20mpg). Meaning, high teens and 23 on highway. Only once has the subaru crossed 25 and that was cruise control on 72 southbound 95 to florida. Truck stays
Its a 23 with 19,000 miles on it.
That being said, at 6'8", i can sit in the backseat for trips under an hour. Front is fine, trunk space leaves a lot to be desired. Better be good at tetris, or get a hitch and a cargo carrier.