Stupid Light?

shwacker

Lil-Rokslider
How light do you go? Anyone doing stupid light bivy hunting? No sleeping bag or pad, no shelter system, etc. How far in are we really that we need to carry all this crap? I see people (me) with huge 'expedition' type loads for backpack hunting, and I get why but also wonder if another way is possible.

I cut my teeth in mountains climbing, and it seems like some of those tactics could be applied to hunting. "A rope, a rack, and the shirt on your back." "Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing to add but when there is nothing to remove." Anyone doing this with thoughts to share?

It's a viable plan, but as Geewhiz said, you can quickly go from kickin' ass to survival mode.

The lightest I've done was September elk hunting in Western Washington, where the worst weather you can expect is a rain shower. Since daylight is so long that time of year, it made no sense to return home each night, so I'd camp out for a night or two. Talk about efficient. I was either hunting, sleeping, or eating.

As for gear, I'd use a mountain bike to access tens of thousands of acres of gated timberlands. My entire camp setup was maybe 3 pounds. Poor at the time, I used a homemade bivy with a Tyvek bottom and Frogg Toggs poncho tarp taped together. For a pad, I had a car window reflector made of bubble foam. At night, down KUIU clothing kept me plenty warm. I carried my bow on a fanny pack with shoulder straps so I wouldn't rattle apart on bumpy logging roads.

The last time I did this, I awoke to bugles 100 yards from my stealth camp. When daylight arrived, I was in position to launch an arrow at a legal bull. I didn't hit it well on the first or second shot, so it was a long process to finish the bull off, but the camping portion of my plan was perfection.

I cut my weight where I need and focus more on space. Without food I like to be at 25-30lbs with killkit, possibles, first aid, charge bank, shelter, pad, spotter (if even needed) tripod, additional clothes, etc. I have saved space by just having puffy pants and bringing a goose down quilt to sleep instead of a bag depending on season. Obviously food and water will vary. I like to keep a days worth of food at around a pound. Idc if its 4000 calories or 500 calories, im still losing weight lmao.

I started by having everything. I then took stock of what i used that last trip and what was unnecessary and removed it out of the pack for next trip. Most of the things I need are on my body (inreach, knives, wind checker, aquatabs, phone, pistol, etc). Im also a one trekking pole guy. One thing I dont skimp out on is my first aid.

If its an extended trip I will carry an empty msr 10l dromlite and fill at basecamp and filter saving tons of weight for the trip in when I unload.

It's worked for me and I don't see the value in spending more money for a few ounces or trying to be a caveman.

b2one

WKR
One difference I see is the objective of the trip. On a "fast and light" climbing/alpine objective the participants usually have very specific beta on routes, bivy spots, the rack they carry, weather for the next 3 days, etc. Variables are controlled as much as they can be to allow the minimalist approach. On the other hand, Exploratory alpine objectives, first ascents, etc. usually involve packs that look a lot more like what a hunter carries into the back country to allow for unforseen conditions. When we plan hunts, most people I have hunted with are planning for a wide variety of possibilities to give them the best chance of harvesting their objective. I imagine that if we knew exactly where we were going to find animals, the fast and light approach would apply to a very large degree.

Last edited:
OP
shwacker

shwacker

Lil-Rokslider
I can see that planning to be out wandering in the woods for 2 weeks is different than 72 hours with a specific route in mind. But the idea of being light and agile and responsive to where the animals are is so appealing...

I suppose when we are talking about only a few thousand or so feet of vert and less than 10 miles, the difference of some pounds doesn't matter a ton. And when I'm hunting, I don't tend to move fast at all because I'm not just trying to get somewhere usually.

Would going extremely light help me stay out longer and be more successful? Maybe. Would it be fun to try? Yes. Would it make the vert more enjoyable? Yes.

What stupidlightweight is talking about is appealing - efficiently either hunting, eating, or sleeping. And not having to hike in and out every day but also not having to carry and set up a big camp.

b2one

WKR
I think most people on this forum agree with your above post, but instead of less gear to encumber us, we are spending thousand$ on lighter, multiple use items, clothes, compact bows and rifles, sleeping gear, etc. We still want all of the the things, we just don’t want the penalty for carrying all of those things.

Stickmark

FNG
Arizona has these, desert centipede and Green Mojave rattler, so a tent is nice. Once I put a tent in, the pad and decent sleeping bag seems mandatory, so I cut weight other places.
I have camped super light quite often, however, but at my age, I want to balance reasonable comfort with ability to move. I agree that some people load themselves down.

Attachments

• AZ desert centipede.jpg
    AZ desert centipede.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 38
  • crotalus_scutulatus_Green Mojave.jpeg
    crotalus_scutulatus_Green Mojave.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 38

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
At some point the disadvantage of lacking comfort would overcome the weight savings advantage. Doesn’t matter how light my pack is if I’m exhausted from lack of sleep and proper caloric intake.

I’d say at the very least bring a quilt and a lightweight pad

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I've done just a military poncho in Arkansas for a night. In costal Alaska, well I would not try that even in summer. It really depends on local conditions and your tolerance for roughing it.

Light is nice but realistically there’s a limit to everything, I understand the weight to comfort ratio but it only takes one OOOOOH NOOOO and you’re in deep trouble. I will assume the original poster is a younger fella as we were all at one time, once upon a time all I carried was a military poncho and poncho liner and a few cans of C-rats a first aid kit ( the worthless kind that was issued and went on your war belt and a a few trauma bandages needed the extra space for ammo. If one has honed there set up and practiced with it in various conditions and weather that’s fine, but for a new person reading something like this it could be very devastating.

Seeknelk

WKR
If you absolutely hate sleep and having an enjoyable time, then go for it. When you get the 4 inch early snow or days of rain sets in...yeah exciting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done a ton of bivy hunting, but with the advent of small dcf shelters—not much of a point. A pound (mine is 18 oz) for a full shelter definitely trumps a pound for a bivy and tarp.

I'll still occasionally bivy hunt, but the weather has to be near perfect. Most of my bivying these days is confined to winter trips where we're sleeping in snow shelters.

Day hunting after a few unexpected nights out has completely changed what I now bring. It's a little heavier, but the next unexpected night out (sheep hunting last year) was tenfold more comfortable than previous ones. I'm a slow learner, but I seem to eventually learn :D

TaperPin

WKR
How light do you go? Anyone doing stupid light bivy hunting? No sleeping bag or pad, no shelter system, etc. How far in are we really that we need to carry all this crap? I see people (me) with huge 'expedition' type loads for backpack hunting, and I get why but also wonder if another way is possible.

I cut my teeth in mountains climbing, and it seems like some of those tactics could be applied to hunting. "A rope, a rack, and the shirt on your back." "Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing to add but when there is nothing to remove." Anyone doing this with thoughts to share?
When I teach someone basic mountain survival, we just spend a night out in the woods with only what’s in our day packs - it’s not complicated, but requires a bit of fire, and is anything but comfortable. We call people that try it one night “cool” or “tough”, and refer to those who do it an entire trip “idiots.” :)